or oral diazepam, which isn't that effective for whilst on another

benzodiazepine. He is now very tolerant of most of them. If really bad, we

have to take him to hospital for IV diazemuls (diazepam, but 'vein

friendly'), or maybe this time midazolam, as the infusion was so successful

for him.

Hill

Re: Med weaning

> The drug weans are terrifying. You might want to get some ativan or

> similar to get you through the rough times.

>

>

> Bill

>

>

> " The Ketogenic Diet....a realistic treatment option, NOT just a last

resort! "

>

> List is for parent to parent support only.

> It is important to get medical advice from a professional

keto team!

> Subscribe: ketogenic-subscribe

> Unsubscribe: ketogenic-unsubscribe

>

>

>

>

When Mike went into status they tried to stop it with phenobarb - didnt

work as that was one of the drugs he was on - ativan didnt work either

(altho if I need to stop something here at home I do have some) What worked

for him was dilantin (and we are currently trying to get him off that).

Jenn

richard & susan hill wrote:

Bill,

We don't have ativan in NZ, heard a lot about it though. We only

have rectal

or oral diazepam, which isn't that effective for whilst

on another

benzodiazepine. He is now very tolerant of most of them. If really

bad, we

have to take him to hospital for IV diazemuls (diazepam, but 'vein

friendly'), or maybe this time midazolam, as the infusion was so

successful

for him.

Hill

A phenobarb load was tried on when in near non convulsive status in hospital, it put him into electrical status, he couldn't move his mouth to talk, and he just stared at us with this terrified, trapped look. Scariest moment yet since he became ill.

Phenytoin has never worked for either, makes him worse.

Trouble is, when status, or near status, eventuates from suspected drug toxicity, I always feel like we are only making worse by pumping even more drugs into him. Last time, we had to wait for the hefty reduction (lamictal in that incident, took 4 or 5 days to reduce his overall blood level) to work it's way through, and then 'pick the right moment' to act with the diazepam, and try and break the status. Otherwise, he just wakes up from it more drugged, and seizing worse than before.

Hoping like crazy it doesn't come to this, day 4 of the epilim (depakote) reduction today. Heaps of drooling on and off, but definitely an improvement cognitively, which makes me think we are on the right track with near toxicity.

Hill

P.S ; Is ativan the other name for lorazepam? If so, we are hoping our hospital is going to have it available in the next few months.

When Mike went into status they tried to stop it with phenobarb - didnt work as that was one of the drugs he was on - ativan didnt work either (altho if I need to stop something here at home I do have some) What worked for him was dilantin (and we are currently trying to get him off that). Jenn richard & susan hill wrote: Bill, We don't have ativan in NZ, heard a lot about it though. We only have rectal or oral diazepam, which isn't that effective for whilst on another benzodiazepine. He is now very tolerant of most of them. If really bad, we have to take him to hospital for IV diazemuls (diazepam, but 'vein friendly'), or maybe this time midazolam, as the infusion was so successful for him. Hill "The Ketogenic Diet....a realistic treatment option, NOT just a last resort!" List is for parent to parent support only. It is important to get medical advice from a professional keto team! Subscribe: ketogenic-subscribe Unsubscribe: ketogenic-unsubscribe

Yes ativan is another name for lorazapam. It usually makes Mike sleep

(that and being tired from the seizure.)

Jenn

richard & susan hill wrote:

Is

ativan the other name for lorazepam? If so, we are hoping our hospital

is going to have it available in the next few months.

Glad to hear that the depakote weaning is going well!!!

Kathy (Mom to lin, 3 1/2 years old, idiopathic generalized epilepsy)

When Mike went into status they tried to stop it with phenobarb - didnt work as that was one of the drugs he was on - ativan didnt work either (altho if I need to stop something here at home I do have some) What worked for him was dilantin (and we are currently trying to get him off that). Jenn richard & susan hill wrote: Bill, We don't have ativan in NZ, heard a lot about it though. We only have rectal or oral diazepam, which isn't that effective for whilst on another benzodiazepine. He is now very tolerant of most of them. If really bad, we have to take him to hospital for IV diazemuls (diazepam, but 'vein friendly'), or maybe this time midazolam, as the infusion was so successful for him. Hill "The Ketogenic Diet....a realistic treatment option, NOT just a last resort!" List is for parent to parent support only. It is important to get medical advice from a professional keto team! Subscribe: ketogenic-subscribe Unsubscribe: ketogenic-unsubscribe