RemedySpot.com

Positive Face and Voice from Goa (Zest for life) !

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Source : Times 0f India (Goa Plus) 27th April 2007 http://www.goapluses.com/fullStory.asp?articleID=GOAP3ART427200755024 Zest for life! Blessy Courage can pull you through any form of mire and this is what we see in the following story because it is courage that gets these people through the social judgment, condemnation and imminent doom that the future holds. While this battle to not be shrouded in some corner of obscurity is a tough one, it also takes a lot of courage and strength in character for the rest of our so called ’society’ to understand the bitter presence of HIV. While learning about HIV and AIDS is not so though in today’s times because of the awareness though media that is happening, we are bound to have a few more misconceptions in our minds. For quite a few, the first picture that comes to mind at the mention of someone who is HIV positive is that of a thin, coughing, ill person; however, Jaffer Inamdar shatters this predictable image. "I understand your suprise; most of the people I meet are literally taken aback when they see me. Their reaction is, ’are you really HIV positive, but you look so healthy?’ But where does it say that an HIV positive person has to be sickly and look emaciated?" This zestful, energetic guy in his early 30s is Jaffer Inamdar for you; the Founder and President of Positive Lives Foundation. Positive Lives Foundation is a one-of-kind association in Goa that has a Drop In Center (DIC) for People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLHAs) in Goa. When Jaffer was 17, he began falling ill very often and had symptoms that his local doctor couldn’t diagnose. "Later I went to a Doctor in Chicalim, who immediately asked me to undergo the ELIZA test. Back then, I didn’t know what that meant and thought it was some routine test. But later when the test results were out, he told me… ’You have "AIDS" and you are going to die very soon, your days are up my Boy!’ Can you imagine what I went through? I gave up on any further hopes of living. My father tried getting me treated for Tuberculosis and I survived those initial days, thanks to the support of my loved ones." Following the bleak future he saw ahead, he decided to learn more about the tabooed disease he had. That’s when he met a few NGO’s in Goa

and began working with them. He then found a very dear friend in Famida, who was his age. He was surprised that this young educated girl believed in him and did not run away from his so-called "Scary-truth,’ instead, she stood by him through thick and thin. "You have to salute her for what she has done. Someone in my community printed leaflets accusing me of cheating a young ’minor’ girl and deliberately ’spoiling’ her life by getting her infected with ’AIDS.’ That was one of the most rough and painful periods of my life. I lost my loving father because of this." That incident made Jaffer Inamdar think and take one drastic step that has now resulted in saving many

people’s lives and giving them hope to live. Positive Lives Foundation came into being on December 1, 2001 with Jaffer declaring publicly his HIV positive status. He is the first person in Goa to give a name and identity to the HIV epidemic. He is not alone in carrying out the task of giving people the hope to live; he has with him his co-worker, friend and wife Famida! She and her infectious laughter and hospitality greet anybody visiting Positive Lives Foundation. Though they voluntarily ran Positive Lives Foundation on their own for four and a half years, it is now funded by GSACS. The DIC serves as a place where PLHAs can drop in and rest for a while, have a drink

or two in the midst of friendly people. With a membership of over 850 people, Jaffer and Famida along with their dedicated staff and fieldworkers are on their toes throughout the day. One never know what the future holds but we all what is coming around the bend, the choice of whether to interpret it as life or death is up to us, lets learn from these brave people that life is quality not quantity. Warm regards Sincerely Pooja Salgaonker POSITIVE LIVES GOA “PLG” & PLG POSITIVE WOMEN FORUM IN

GOA***************************************************************POSITIVE LIVES GOA “PLG”AP/41, G.2., C.P. Villa, Opp. Petrol Pump,Near Sriram Super Market, Green View Appt,Betim Road, Alto Porvorim, Goa - 403521Phone: 91 – 832 – 2415389Mobile: 9371186773Email: plfgoasancharnet (DOT) in / plfrediffmail (DOT) com ****************************************************************

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.