RemedySpot.com

myoclonus

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Tara

I take Lamictal (lamotrigine) and it has really helped me.

There is a web site which gives you the chemical name for a brand name. It is <www.medicinenet.com>. This might help you when someone mentions a brand name.

laurie

Reply-To:

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:13:04 +1000

To: < >

Subject: Myoclonus

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what is the drug taken for myoclonic jerks? I need drug name please, not the brand name, as they are different here in Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Tara

Guest guest

Thanks Laurie.

Myoclonus

Hi all, Can anyone tell me what is the drug taken for myoclonic jerks? I need drug name please, not the brand name, as they are different here in Australia. Thanks in advance.Tara

Guest guest

kristina,

yes, you are right -- it is on the list of no-no's but it alwasy comes down

two risk of taking sometihigng and the benefti if you do or do not take it.

the benefit of me take it far outweigh not two take it and quite honestly i'm

really not having any problems with it.........i think it has work wonder for

me :) hang in there...........

Eileen

Guest guest

Eileen,

I also use Klonopin for myoclonus. It helps me a lot and I have

been on it for 7 years now. I do know that it is one that is a no-no

on the list of drugs for mito, but since we are all different . . .

I am still on it.

Smiles,

a

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

I am familiar with both. Faciltations are the twitching underneath the skin kind of thing that you can't see most of the time. Myoclonus is the jerks that are real jerks. It sounds like the biting of your tongue is probably a myoclonic jerk. I had these for awhile when I would bite the inside of my cheek. They are both due to the nerves telling the muscles to move when the brain isn't sending the message. My myoclonus was getting really bad a couple of years ago where I was afraid to pick anything up for fear of dropping it. My neuro put me on Lamictal which has helped a great deal with both. I also have intention tremors in my hands at time making it hard to turn the pages of a book. This is when my hands shake just slightly when I am trying to do something, but not at rest. I only get this when very fatigued. There are also myoclonic seizures which are the same in appearance as the myoclonus, but these originate in the brain.

laurie

Reply-To:

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:27:11 -0400

To: " Mitoldies " < >

Subject: myoclonus

Can some one also tell me what would be the difference between the myoclunus that I hear you talk about and fasciultions? I am sure I have mispelled both thhose words. Sorry.

I saw my PCP this week and told him how my muscles keep twitching all the time now, little jerks, but you couldn't see them I don't think, they are too small and fast. Can be any where in my body. He called them fascultions and said it was just another sign of my primary muscle disease. They don't drive me crazy or anything, but I do bite my tongue alot when my jaw spasms with it. Just one quick little jerk of my bottom jaw and I have caught the tip of my poor tongue.

Still smiling, even with a sore tongue:)

Medical advice, information, opinions, data and statements contained herein are not necessarily those of the list moderators. The author of this e mail is entirely responsible for its content. List members are reminded of their responsibility to evaluate the content of the postings and consult with their physicians regarding changes in their own treatment.

Guest guest

thanks Laurie for letting me know the difference. These are not ripples under my skin, but neither do I think it is coming from my brain either. so I just don't know! haha Not that it matters as I am stuck with them either way:) My muscles are always in a state of spasm it seems, and what this reminds me off is like they start to let go a little and then say OOPS! and give a little half hearted effort at a spasm! I find this happens particularly lots when I am taking my muscle relaxer, that is why I say that, but not always. I feel certain it is not a seizure type thing. I see my neruo in Sept and will tell him about it.

Actually this is the least of my problems, just annoying( as long as my tongue doesn't get to short! haha)

still smiling,

Guest guest

I take the Lamictal, not for seizures, but for the myoclonus. It has also helped with the spasms and cramps, as long as I don't do repetitive types of activities.

laurie

Reply-To:

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:44:08 -0400

Subject: myoclonus

thanks Laurie for letting me know the difference. These are not ripples under my skin, but neither do I think it is coming from my brain either. so I just don't know! haha Not that it matters as I am stuck with them either way:) My muscles are always in a state of spasm it seems, and what this reminds me off is like they start to let go a little and then say OOPS! and give a little half hearted effort at a spasm! I find this happens particularly lots when I am taking my muscle relaxer, that is why I say that, but not always. I feel certain it is not a seizure type thing. I see my neruo in Sept and will tell him about it.

Actually this is the least of my problems, just annoying( as long as my tongue doesn't get to short! haha)

still smiling,

Medical advice, information, opinions, data and statements contained herein are not necessarily those of the list moderators. The author of this e mail is entirely responsible for its content. List members are reminded of their responsibility to evaluate the content of the postings and consult with their physicians regarding changes in their own treatment.

Guest guest

Smurffy,

what you described is exactly what will happen to me. Not all the time, I seem to go in cycles with it like that. But when I was sleeping with my husband I remember him waking up because I had grabbed his hand in my sleep and my hand squeesed so tight it hurt him. Or a few times I through my leg over him and squeesed. Talk about a bear hug! On fotunaetly I am asleep and it doesn't count:) Any time I am not concentrating on keeping my muscles relaxed they will automatically contract it seems. I have been in prayer circles and be the one praying, so my mind is off my hand and before I know if I have just about crushed the person's hand I am holding. Once this happened with a young person and I felt so bad I could of just cried over it. You know kids, they won't always say when an adult in authority is hurting them. I hope I didn't hurt her little hand squeezing to tight before I realzied what was happening.

I have taken clonipin at night for this, I can't tell it does any better than zanax, but that does help some.

I don't think my jerks are near as bad as what some of you folks are describing, but you know it is hard to tell over email. But I don't think they are. You would have to really watch carefully in order to see my little jerks, Is that the way it is with most of you or are they easy to spot?

I will talk to the neuro about the lamical when I see him in Sept.

smiling still,

Does anyone know of another med that works as well as Lamictal seems to be working for most of you. I took one dose of Lamictal and almost died, wont try that again....but would love to have a med that controls the myoclonus...also what is it called when your muscles constrict? Like if your hand goes into a tight fist and wont let go? mostly during sleep but occassionally daytime also?Thanks Smurffy

Guest guest

I have little jerks, but I also have ones where my entire leg might lift off a stool 6-8 inches. I also get a sharp pain in the leg somewhere when they are big ones.

Electrolytes being out of balance can cause many of these muscle symptoms, so it might be best to have levels done before starting on something, as you could also treat by correcting the imbalance.

laurie

Reply-To:

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 20:45:27 -0400

Subject: Re:myoclonus

Smurffy,

what you described is exactly what will happen to me. Not all the time, I seem to go in cycles with it like that. But when I was sleeping with my husband I remember him waking up because I had grabbed his hand in my sleep and my hand squeesed so tight it hurt him. Or a few times I through my leg over him and squeesed. Talk about a bear hug! On fotunaetly I am asleep and it doesn't count:) Any time I am not concentrating on keeping my muscles relaxed they will automatically contract it seems. I have been in prayer circles and be the one praying, so my mind is off my hand and before I know if I have just about crushed the person's hand I am holding. Once this happened with a young person and I felt so bad I could of just cried over it. You know kids, they won't always say when an adult in authority is hurting them. I hope I didn't hurt her little hand squeezing to tight before I realzied what was happening.

I have taken clonipin at night for this, I can't tell it does any better than zanax, but that does help some.

I don't think my jerks are near as bad as what some of you folks are describing, but you know it is hard to tell over email. But I don't think they are. You would have to really watch carefully in order to see my little jerks, Is that the way it is with most of you or are they easy to spot?

I will talk to the neuro about the lamical when I see him in Sept.

smiling still,

Does anyone know of another med that works as well as Lamictal seems to be

working for most of you. I took one dose of Lamictal and almost died, wont

try that again....but would love to have a med that controls the myoclonus...

also what is it called when your muscles constrict? Like if your hand goes

into a tight fist and wont let go? mostly during sleep but occassionally

daytime also?

Thanks Smurffy

Guest guest

Hello again,

Sorry to relate so much to my daughter, but some of these things

are so important, and I just don't have the same symptoms!! Hope

it's okay!! I don't have the myoclonus, or intention trmors, but boy

do my muscles get fatigued at the slightest repetitive motion! Kate

has intention tremors, though as (I think) or Laurie mentioned,

not at rest but with almost any movement. They are not constant but

are almost constant. She also has myoclonic jerks/seizures. I first

noticed them as she was either waking or falling into sleep, she's been

having them for months. Since we returned from Cleveland, they've

happened during the day as well, very obvious, though thankfully not

often. But they have coincided with severely increased hypotonia and

cognitive deficits/ ataxia etc. so I think we're simply seeing a possible

slight progression of the illness...

On another note, as I was fighting the pain and scrapbooking last night,

I realized that I have always had fine and gross motor issues-- very clumsy,

can't draw a straight line, cut one either, lol!!

Warmly,

Alessia