RemedySpot.com

Pain Meds

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Greetings-

P;ease excuse me for asking if you have covered this recently. What has been your experience with obtaining pain medication from the doctor? My doctors won't prescribe it because of the crack-down by the federal government on prescribers of controlled substances. I had to go to a physiatrist.just to get the prescription. I wondered if it was the same experience others have had.

Margaret

My Rhumatologist has no problem prescribing pain meds. She sees that I

dont abuse them because I use less medication than I have been

prescribed. Im also trying other things like diet and lifestyle

modification so she knows Im working at getting healthier. deb

> Greetings-

> P;ease excuse me for asking if you have covered this recently.

What has

> been your experience with obtaining pain medication from the

doctor? My doctors

> won't prescribe it because of the crack-down by the federal

government on

> prescribers of controlled substances. I had to go to a

physiatrist.just to get

> the prescription. I wondered if it was the same experience others

have had.

> Margaret

If I ask my doctor he is pretty good about prescribing something. I

usually ask for Ultram. But my doctor knows about all these

degenerative issues that I have. Ultram is the only pain reliever

that I can take anymore. I used to use Vioxx but the market is iffy

on that one.

Jayne

Greetings-

Valium isn't a pain med it is a tranquilizer. Maybe you are thinking of Vicodin(?). I think the addiction line is crap. There may be a few people who are prone to addiction who will become addicted to prescription pain meds but, most won't. They won't prescribe it because of the fear that the federal government will come down on them if they prescribe too much of it. I wish no one harm, but I wish for one day the people who make those policies could live in my body. I think the pain would encourage them to change their minds. It sounds like many of you have had the same experience that I have in getting meds. I found an excellant article on this. It is too long to copy here. but you can get to it at http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/prisoners_pain.html

Margaret

My Doc will not prescribe any pain medication for FMS. Reason why is that we are in pain all day long every day. Imagine if we had an unlimited closet of Valium...we'd be addicted. That is his fear (and what he has been guided by other FMS docs). It stinks for me as some days I think I COULD eat a closet of Valium, but other days I know I could only use 1. I guess all we can do it take 3 ibuprofen (ibuprofen is an inflammitory so taking it in the morning helps b/c it kicks in about the time we're up and about). Also, it may sound silly, but the thing that works great for me is Theraflu. I can just literally feel it relax my muscles. Try it at night though (not a good idea to take it and head down the highway)

My Doc will not prescribe any pain medication for FMS. Reason why is

that we are in pain all day long every day. Imagine if we had an

unlimited closet of Valium...we'd be addicted. That is his fear (and

what he has been guided by other FMS docs). It stinks for me as some

days I think I COULD eat a closet of Valium, but other days I know I

could only use 1. I guess all we can do it take 3 ibuprofen

(ibuprofen is an inflammitory so taking it in the morning helps b/c

it kicks in about the time we're up and about).

Also, it may sound silly, but the thing that works great for me is

Theraflu. I can just literally feel it relax my muscles. Try it at

night though (not a good idea to take it and head down the highway)

> > Greetings-

> > P;ease excuse me for asking if you have covered this recently.

> What has

> > been your experience with obtaining pain medication from the

> doctor? My doctors

> > won't prescribe it because of the crack-down by the federal

> government on

> > prescribers of controlled substances. I had to go to a

> physiatrist.just to get

> > the prescription. I wondered if it was the same experience

others

> have had.

> > Margaret

>

> If I ask my doctor he is pretty good about prescribing something.

I

> usually ask for Ultram. But my doctor knows about all these

> degenerative issues that I have. Ultram is the only pain reliever

> that I can take anymore. I used to use Vioxx but the market is

iffy

> on that one.

>

> Jayne

>

I don't mean to appear stupid or to tread on any toes.. But will probably manage at least the first!

Is Valium a pain killer? I thought it was for stress and depression. I have looked it up quickly on a few pages and don't see it mentioned as a painkiller. No one has ever suggested I take it.

I do however get a lot of relief from Ultram, Neurontin and regular Tylenol (Paracetamol here).

Surely your doctor can give something similar which won't be addictive when taken for pain?

Hugs

Penny

> My Doc will not prescribe any pain medication for FMS. Reason why is> that we are in pain all day long every day. Imagine if we had an> unlimited closet of Valium...> we'd be addicted. That is his fear (and> what he has been guided by other FMS docs). It stinks for me as some> days I think I COULD eat a closet of Valium, but other days I know I> could only use 1. I guess all we can do it take 3 ibuprofen> (ibuprofen is an inflammitory so taking it in the morning helps b/c> it kicks in about the time we're> up and about).> Also, it may sound silly, but the thing that works great for me is> Theraflu. I can just literally feel it relax my muscles. Try it at> night though (not a good idea to take it and head down the highway)

Personally, I am to the point that I don't think doctors should even

care if we get addicted to it. As long as it stops the pain, I will

gladly be addicted to the pain medication I am on!

N.

> > > Greetings-

> > > P;ease excuse me for asking if you have covered this recently.

> > What has

> > > been your experience with obtaining pain medication from the

> > doctor? My doctors

> > > won't prescribe it because of the crack-down by the federal

> > government on

> > > prescribers of controlled substances. I had to go to a

> > physiatrist.just to get

> > > the prescription. I wondered if it was the same experience

> others

> > have had.

> > > Margaret

> >

> > If I ask my doctor he is pretty good about prescribing something.

> I

> > usually ask for Ultram. But my doctor knows about all these

> > degenerative issues that I have. Ultram is the only pain reliever

> > that I can take anymore. I used to use Vioxx but the market is

> iffy

> > on that one.

> >

> > Jayne

> >

>

I disagree. Some doctors throw out the baby (pain medication) with the bathwater (afraid of us getting addicted) because they might get in trouble or get sued. All people in chronic pain do not get addicted and therefore should be given pain medication as long as they can only take what is prescribed. I have been on pain medication for a couple of years, and do not take over what they prescribe. I couldn't work without this medication because I would not have pain free times to relax and sleep. Some doctors are just plain insensitive, and it's so sad.

JDeCosta

Re: Pain Meds

Personally, I am to the point that I don't think doctors should evencare if we get addicted to it. As long as it stops the pain, I willgladly be addicted to the pain medication I am on! N.> > > Greetings-> > > P;ease excuse me for asking if you have covered this recently. > > What has > > > been your experience with obtaining pain medication from the > > doctor? My doctors > > > won't prescribe it because of the crack-down by the federal > > government on > > > prescribers of controlled substances. I had to go to a > > physiatrist.just to get > > > the prescription. I wondered if it was the same experience > others > > have had.> > > Margaret> > > > If I ask my doctor he is pretty good about prescribing something. > I > > usually ask for Ultram. But my doctor knows about all these > > degenerative issues that I have. Ultram is the only pain reliever > > that I can take anymore. I used to use Vioxx but the market is > iffy > > on that one.> > > > Jayne> >>

> Is Valium a pain killer? I thought it was for stress and depression. I have

looked it up quickly on a few pages and don't see it mentioned as a painkiller.

No one has ever suggested I take it.

No. It's not a pain killer. It is an anti-anxiety med (NOT depression.

In fact, I don't think it would be a great drug for depression,

because it further depresses.) It is also used as part of a protocol

for tremors/seizures, but isn't used to treat seizure disorder

exclusively.

With that said, since some theorize that fibromyalgia is actually

related to a sleep disorder, valium might help relieve pain by the

fact that the patient might sleep better after taking it. I find that

when I'm feeling really bad, Klonapin (which is a stronger drug in the

same family) *really* helps me sleep and I feel better after a few

days.

Valium is addictive (as is Klonapin) and should be taken with care for

that reason. But it doesn't mean you'll turn into a drug addict if you

take it. ;-)

--

Patti

pattirobinson@...

http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/pattirobinson

I have an ex husband who has been severely depressed for 40 years. His drug of choice is Valium. I know for certain that some doctors would prefer him not to take it but he can always find some who will prescribe it. It's a strange life lol.

Penny UK

On 08/10/2005 01:52:55, (pattirobinson@...) wrote:> > > Is Valium a pain killer? I thought it was for stress and depression. I> have looked it up quickly on a few pages and> don't see it mentioned as a painkiller. No one has ever suggested I take it.> > No. It's> not a pain killer. It is an anti-anxiety med (NOT depression.> In fact, I> don't think it would be a great drug for depression,> because it further depresses.) It is also used as part of a protocol> for tremors/seizures, but isn't> used to treat seizure disorder> exclusively.> > With that said, since some theorize that fibromyalgia is actually> related to a sleep disorder, valium might help relieve pain by the> fact that the patient might sleep better after taking it. I find that> when> I'm feeling really bad, Klonapin (which is a stronger drug in the> same family) *really* helps me sleep and I feel better after a few> days.> > Valium is addictive (as is Klonapin) and should be taken with care for> that reason. But it doesn't> mean> you'll turn into a drug addict if you> take it. ;-)> > > --> Patti > pattirobinson@...> http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/pat

Wow, that's amazing. I wonder why? Valium works for anxiety because it causes you to relax, which is a different mechanism from an SSRI. I don't have depression, but I can imagine it exacerbating the condition. Interesting.

He probably likes it because although it doesn't aleviate his depression, he doesn't CARE that he's depressed. (That's different than not being depressed. ;-) )

Patti

I have an ex husband who has been severely depressed for 40 years. His drug of choice is Valium. I know for certain that some doctors would prefer him not to take it but he can always find some who will prescribe it. It's a strange life lol.

Penny UK

On 08/10/2005 01:52:55, (

pattirobinson@...) wrote:> On 10/7/05, ygo65@... <

ygo65@...> wrote:> > Is Valium a pain killer? I thought it was for stress and depression. I> have looked it up quickly on a few pages and> don't see it mentioned as a painkiller. No one has ever suggested I take it.

> > No. It's> not a pain killer. It is an anti-anxiety med (NOT depression.> In fact, I> don't think it would be a great drug for depression,> because it further depresses.) It is also used as part of a protocol

> for tremors/seizures, but isn't> used to treat seizure disorder> exclusively.> > With that said, since some theorize that fibromyalgia is actually> related to a sleep disorder, valium might help relieve pain by the

> fact that the patient might sleep better after taking it. I find that> when> I'm feeling really bad, Klonapin (which is a stronger drug in the> same family) *really* helps me sleep and I feel better after a few

> days.> > Valium is addictive (as is Klonapin) and should be taken with care for> that reason. But it doesn't> mean> you'll turn into a drug addict if you> take it. ;-)

> > > --> Patti > pattirobinson@...>

http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/pat 1. While it is wonderful to share our experiences with everyone on the list as to what treatments do and don't work for us, pls always check with your dr. Some treatments are dangerous when given along with other meds as well as to certain health conditions or just dangerous in general.

2. If you are in a difficult situation (doesn't matter what it is) pls don't be afraid to ask for help. It is the first step to trying to make that situation better.3. To unsubscribe the e-mail is:

Fibromyalgia_Support_Group-unsubscribe 4. Also, it is not uncommon for more than one member to be feeling bad at the same time when it comes to flares and b/c of that potentially take something another member says the wrong way. And that includes the things that one member may find funny (even if it's laughing at fibro itself) even though we who deal with illness whether one such as fibro or multiple illnesses try to keep a sense of humor.

5. Pls let's be gentle with each other, and if you are having a bad day pls let us know so that we can do our best to offer our support.Have a nice day everyone.

Many people will develope high blood pressure from prolonged

untreated pain. So your doctor isn't doing you any favors by not

prescribing pain meds. Ultram or Tramadol is not addictive in the way

opioids are. The point of pain killers is to give you a better

quality of life. If you are in so much pain all you can think about is

pain, then what kind of life is that? Find a new doctor !

deb

Howdy all!

I'm house-sitting ( & dog-siting) for my son again this weekend, so am not at my

regular puter, so please forgive grammar & spelling errors & just plain typos!

I have found that valium is very helpful with certain types of pain. It is a

skeletal-muscule relaxer, and I found (quite by accident) that it relieves

menstrual cramps better than any painkiller I've ever been on. I used to get

horrendous cramps, and found that valium (or xanax or ativan, too) didn't just

help, but completely relieved the pain for several hours.

cyn

Re: Re: Pain Meds

I don't mean to appear stupid or to tread on any toes.. But will probably manage

at least the first!

Is Valium a pain killer? I thought it was for stress and depression. I have

looked it up quickly on a few pages and don't see it mentioned as a painkiller.

No one has ever suggested I take it.

I do however get a lot of relief from Ultram, Neurontin and regular Tylenol

(Paracetamol here).

Surely your doctor can give something similar which won't be addictive when

taken for pain?

Hugs

Penny

clmerritt@...

Valium is definately a pain killer :-) It's right up there with Vicodin!ygo65@... wrote:

I don't mean to appear stupid or to tread on any toes.. But will probably manage at least the first!

Is Valium a pain killer? I thought it was for stress and depression. I have looked it up quickly on a few pages and don't see it mentioned as a painkiller. No one has ever suggested I take it.

I do however get a lot of relief from Ultram, Neurontin and regular Tylenol (Paracetamol here).

Surely your doctor can give something similar which won't be addictive when taken for pain?

Hugs

Penny

> My Doc will not prescribe any pain medication for FMS. Reason why is> that we are in pain all day long every day. Imagine if we had an> unlimited closet of Valium...> we'd be addicted. That is his fear (and> what he has been guided by other FMS docs). It stinks for me as some> days I think I COULD eat a closet of Valium, but other days I know I> could only use 1. I guess all we can do it take 3 ibuprofen> (ibuprofen is an inflammitory so taking it in the morning helps b/c> it kicks in about the time we're> up and about).> Also, it may sound silly, but the thing that works great for me is> Theraflu. I can just literally feel it relax my muscles. Try it at> night though (not a good idea to take it and head down the

highway)

Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

June 2004, I was put on vicodin and valium, vicodinES for pain, valium to calm me down and let me sleep" Woodworth (Kraner)" wrote:

Valium is definately a pain killer :-) It's right up there with Vicodin!ygo65@... wrote:

Hugs

Penny

> My Doc will not prescribe any pain medication for FMS. Reason why is> that we are in pain all day long every day. Imagine if we had an> unlimited closet of Valium...> we'd be addicted. That is his fear (and> what he has been guided by other FMS docs). It stinks for me as some> days I think I COULD eat a closet of Valium, but other days I know I> could only use 1. I guess all we can do it take 3 ibuprofen> (ibuprofen is an inflammitory so taking it in the morning helps b/c> it kicks in about the time we're> up and about).> Also, it may sound silly, but the thing that works great for me is> Theraflu. I can just literally feel it relax my muscles. Try it at> night though (not a good idea to take it and head down the

highway)

You need a new doctor. There are several lists online that have fibro

friendly doctors. You need a doctor who understands fibromyalgia and

its treatment. You also should look for a dentist to treat your TMJ. I

havent looked in the links section here but will go search for some

lists and post them for you.

I am using an over the counter(Internet purchased actually) product

thta has really knocked down my pain levels. I added a link in the

links section for DRibose. Read it and decide if its worth a trial to

you. Its helped several people that I know. deb

aww hunny i so understand what your going threw. i have myosfasical

pain disorder... its kind like tmj for me but it hrts all over my

face-my teeth with throb so will my jaw. I also just got dig with

fibro. I dont get the offer of pain meds- I would love it if I did. I

have muscle relaxers that I am on 3 times a day though. With fibro the

pain doc told me its common to get used to drugs quick. I asked her

b/c after a month on a relxaer it will not work. I used heat and a few

herbs to help me chill-but with the recent weeks I am feeling like I

am dying...

I try and be strong and tough but lol its hard with my 1 yr old. She

keeps me on my toes. Feel free to email me anytime

wendy

Hi

I don't know if you have ever been prescribed Ultram or not but I am able to

get mine online from my online Dr.

I don't have insurance anymore so I cannot afford to get my prescription by

visiting the physical Dr and appts anymore.... so I resorted to online. I

haven't had any problems for a year now and it keeps me from feeling like a

creep for asking for refills. I would not suggest taking anything though

unless you are first prescribed it by a physical Dr who does an exam....

then you could go online if it is something considered safe for you.

Tramadol has been a great help to me.

Rewa

Re: Pain Meds

> aww hunny i so understand what your going threw. i have myosfasical

> pain disorder... its kind like tmj for me but it hrts all over my

> face-my teeth with throb so will my jaw. I also just got dig with

> fibro. I dont get the offer of pain meds- I would love it if I did. I

> have muscle relaxers that I am on 3 times a day though. With fibro the

> pain doc told me its common to get used to drugs quick. I asked her

> b/c after a month on a relxaer it will not work. I used heat and a few

> herbs to help me chill-but with the recent weeks I am feeling like I

> am dying...

> I try and be strong and tough but lol its hard with my 1 yr old. She

> keeps me on my toes. Feel free to email me anytime

> wendy

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 1. While it is wonderful to share our experiences with everyone on the

list as to what treatments do and don't work for us, pls always check with

your dr. Some treatments are dangerous when given along with other meds as

well as to certain health conditions or just dangerous in general.

>

> 2. If you are in a difficult situation (doesn't matter what it is) pls

don't be afraid to ask for help. It is the first step to trying to make

that situation better.

>

> 3. To unsubscribe the e-mail is:

Fibromyalgia_Support_Group-unsubscribe

>

> 4. Also, it is not uncommon for more than one member to be feeling bad at

the same time when it comes to flares and b/c of that potentially take

something another member says the wrong way. And that includes the things

that one member may find funny (even if it's laughing at fibro itself) even

though we who deal with illness whether one such as fibro or multiple

illnesses try to keep a sense of humor.

>

> 5. Pls let's be gentle with each other, and if you are having a bad day

pls let us know so that we can do our best to offer our support.

>

> Have a nice day everyone.

>

>

Tramadol is one of the cheaper meds also , if you know where to get

it. I buy mine at Costco. I pay $16.77 for 120 ( one months worth). I

used to buy it at Walgreens, but they were charging my insurance

$149.00 with my copay being $50.00! So I went to Costco.com and priced

all my meds. Its worth it to me to drive out of my way to buy it

there. deb

My rheumatologist has me on Cymbalta and Tramadol. Together, they work

better than anything else I've ever had except Bextra which is now off

the market. He told me no one should have to go thru a chronic pain

illness without some kind of help. Warm water therapy is good also. I

don't know if your doctor is a rheumatologist or not, but I definitely

would see someone else for another opinion.

Good luck

Irish