RemedySpot.com

Re: I know what I SHOULD be doing but....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

That's really a tough situation - I'm not sure there is a 'perfect' answer.

As far as breakfast, I usually have something in teh morning. I am almost never

hungry when

I wake up, whether I've overeaten the before or not. It's just the way I am. I

know it doesn't

mean I don't need food. If I'm not hungry and I've overeaten the day before, I

usually have

something small - and wait to see what happens with the rest of the day.

>

> Sometimes I think I'm doing better and then I realize I've only been fooling

myself and still

have such a long way to go :(

>

> Yesterday we went to the show (husband, daughters, and their friends). Of

course the

show started at 5:40 which meant that we kind of skipped right through dinner in

the

process of getting ready and making it to the show in time and ended up sitting

in a dark

theater with a big bucket of popcorn.

First of all, I can so relate to the kids friends spending the night and how stressful it is. My son is 14 and had a friend spend the night last night. I went to bed about 10:30 while they were staying up watching movies. I re-awoke about 11:30 to check on them and found that they had gotten into the little bit of liquor I have and had poured rum into their cans of Mountain Dew. Needless to say, I ended the sleep over right then and there and my son won't be have any sleep overs for quite some time! This is such a frustrating age and I know I'm being paid back for all the grief I gave my Mom as a teenager!!!!!

Second of all, I think the answer to your question as to whether you should still eat breakfast, I think all the books and in talking with Gillian about this myself it is recommend to wait until you are actually hungry. Everything will balance out in the long fun. But, I have found that I have to listen to my body though, and my stomach may not be necessarily hungry, but I might get light headed or kind of a shaky feeling, that is my clue that I need to eat even though I don't really feel hungry. Hope this helps answer your question.

--Alana

-------------- Original message --------------

Sometimes I think I'm doing better and then I realize I've only been fooling myself and still have such a long way to go :(Yesterday we went to the show (husband, daughters, and their friends). Of course the show started at 5:40 which meant that we kind of skipped right through dinner in the process of getting ready and making it to the show in time and ended up sitting in a dark theater with a big bucket of popcorn. And while it wasn't exactly a binge I ate more than "I" know I should have. Afterward we came home and my daughters had their friends spend the night. For some reason this is always stressful for me (must be the control freak in me) and while I had actually thought about it in advance and planned to journal I ended up eating chocolate all evening long instead. GRRRR. The whole evening makes me so mad. I KNOW bettr than all of the things I did- should have eaten BEFORE the show, should have did something to handle t

he stress of the extra kids over, etc. I'm just feeling like I have absolutely no self control. And to top it off now I've woken up feeling bloated and with no appetite-am I supposed to eat breakfast anyway or wait til I get hungry (because usually when I overdo it the night before I'm not hungry until about 2pm which is too long to wait to eat, right?).Sorry for the gloom and doom today- I just need a little "you can do it" from someone. Thanks in advance everyone,

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Hang in there . You do have self control! Because otherwise you just wouldn't let your daughter have friends over, right? I think it's ok to eat popcorn for dinner, as long as that is what you want :).

I know what I SHOULD be doing but....

Hi , and welcome to the group! First of all, stop beating

yourself up! This process is just baby steps --- 2 forward and 1

back, it seems like sometimes. It's vital to be gentle with

yourself; treat yourself the way you would your child or best

friend. And stop with the " shoulds " already! There are no " shoulds "

in IE, absolutely none. It's about awareness & choices. The

awareness you had that evening about how you felt, what you were

doing & why, that is progress. If you feel stressed and want

chocolate, make a conscious decision/choice to eat it. Don't tell

yourself you " shouldn't " eat it, or that you're bad for eating it, or

that you have no self control or willpower. You're not bad and

there's nothing " wrong " with you....you are simply taking

care of yourself. As time goes on you'll figure out other ways to

nurture yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Be nice to yourself along the

way!

~Jen S.

>

> Sometimes I think I'm doing better and then I realize I've only

been fooling myself and still have such a long way to go :(

>

> Yesterday we went to the show (husband, daughters, and their

friends). Of course the show started at 5:40 which meant that we

kind of skipped right through dinner in the process of getting ready

and making it to the show in time and ended up sitting in a dark

theater with a big bucket of popcorn. And while it wasn't exactly a

binge I ate more than " I " know I should have. Afterward we came home

and my daughters had their friends spend the night. For some reason

this is always stressful for me (must be the control freak in me) and

while I had actually thought about it in advance and planned to

journal I ended up eating chocolate all evening long instead.

GRRRR. The whole evening makes me so mad. I KNOW bettr than all of

the things I did- should have eaten BEFORE the show, should have did

something to handle the stress of the extra kids over, etc. I'm just

feeling like I have absolutely no self control. And to top it off

now I've woken up feeling

> bloated and with no appetite-am I supposed to eat breakfast anyway

or wait til I get hungry (because usually when I overdo it the night

before I'm not hungry until about 2pm which is too long to wait to

eat, right?).

>

> Sorry for the gloom and doom today- I just need a little " you can

do it " from someone. Thanks in advance everyone,

>

>

>

>

> Looking for last minute shopping deals?

> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

>

I'm not deleting any of this message. It's too good! We need this tattooed

somewhere....--

In IntuitiveEating_Support , " jenilinsky " wrote:

>

> Hi , and welcome to the group! First of all, stop beating

> yourself up! This process is just baby steps --- 2 forward and 1

> back, it seems like sometimes. It's vital to be gentle with

> yourself; treat yourself the way you would your child or best

> friend. And stop with the " shoulds " already! There are no " shoulds "

> in IE, absolutely none. It's about awareness & choices. The

> awareness you had that evening about how you felt, what you were

> doing & why, that is progress. If you feel stressed and want

> chocolate, make a conscious decision/choice to eat it. Don't tell

> yourself you " shouldn't " eat it, or that you're bad for eating it, or

> that you have no self control or willpower. You're not bad and

> there's nothing " wrong " with you....you are simply taking

> care of yourself. As time goes on you'll figure out other ways to

> nurture yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Be nice to yourself along the

> way!

>

> ~Jen S.

Ok, to deal with the shoulds--

Right now, my toast should be whole wheat, but, I don't want it. My

tea should have no sugar, and my dishes should already be done.

So what.

As human beings, we deal with a lot on a day-to-day basis and have

to learn new ways to deal with other things. When I would get really

depressed, I wouldn't eat much. When I was stressed, that cheese

enchilada plate looked great. So, I ate it and enjoyed it.

Give yourself permission to eat whatever you want(unlesss your

doctor says no). Really.

Yesterday, I had a cheese/egg crossiant(really). I wanted a sandwich

made with fried chicken, cheese and Santa Fe sauce. Then, later, I

had a 6 inch at Subway that was over 6 grams fat. I felt good, didn't

have the shakes, and today am eating healthier.The days before that,

I was closer on eating healthier.

I am eating what I want in moderation. If I don't want to finish my

plate, I save it for the next day, meal, etc.

If you make any foods not allowed, then, it is harder to lose weight

because you will want them.

With knowing that I can have that Blueberry cheesecake any time I

want, I don't want it right now.

God Bless and Take care.

Helen

> >

> > Hi , and welcome to the group! First of all, stop beating

> > yourself up! This process is just baby steps --- 2 forward and 1

> > back, it seems like sometimes. It's vital to be gentle with

> > yourself; treat yourself the way you would your child or best

> > friend. And stop with the " shoulds " already! There are

no " shoulds "

> > in IE, absolutely none. It's about awareness & choices. The

> > awareness you had that evening about how you felt, what you were

> > doing & why, that is progress. If you feel stressed and want

> > chocolate, make a conscious decision/choice to eat it. Don't

tell

> > yourself you " shouldn't " eat it, or that you're bad for eating

it, or

> > that you have no self control or willpower. You're not bad and

> > there's nothing " wrong " with you....you are simply taking

> > care of yourself. As time goes on you'll figure out other ways

to

> > nurture yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Be nice to yourself along

the

> > way!

> >

> > ~Jen S.

>

iv ~ I have gotten so much benefit from the things everyone here has

posted; I'm glad you liked what I wrote. 's post really struck

a nerve with me, and I think the things I wrote were things I really,

really need to learn myself! In fact, I KNOW they are!

~Jen S.

> >

> > Hi , and welcome to the group! First of all, stop beating

> > yourself up! This process is just baby steps --- 2 forward and 1

> > back, it seems like sometimes. It's vital to be gentle with

> > yourself; treat yourself the way you would your child or best

> > friend. And stop with the " shoulds " already! There are

no " shoulds "

> > in IE, absolutely none. It's about awareness & choices. The

> > awareness you had that evening about how you felt, what you were

> > doing & why, that is progress. If you feel stressed and want

> > chocolate, make a conscious decision/choice to eat it. Don't

tell

> > yourself you " shouldn't " eat it, or that you're bad for eating

it, or

> > that you have no self control or willpower. You're not bad and

> > there's nothing " wrong " with you....you are simply taking

> > care of yourself. As time goes on you'll figure out other ways

to

> > nurture yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Be nice to yourself along

the

> > way!

> >

> > ~Jen S.

>

-- Re: I know what I SHOULD be doing but....

> brava!!!> In IntuitiveEating_Support , "jenilinsky" <jenswan@> wrote:> >> > Hi , and welcome to the group! First of all, stop beating > > yourself up! This process is just baby steps --- 2 forward and 1 > > back, it seems like sometimes. It's vital to be gentle with > > yourself; treat yourself the way you would your child or best > > friend. And stop with the "shoulds" already! There are no "shoulds" > > in IE, absolutely none. It's about awareness & choices. The > > awareness you had that evening about how you felt, what you were > > doing & why, that is progress. If you feel stressed and want > > chocolate, make a conscious decision/choice to eat it. Don't tell > > yourself you "shouldn't" eat it, or that you're bad for eating it, or > > that you have no self control or willpower. You're not bad and > > there's nothing "wrong" with you....you are simply taking > > care of yourself. As time goes on you'll figure out other ways to > > nurture yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Be nice to yourself along the > > way!> > > > ~Jen S.>

Sorry about the rough night with your son. Sounds like you did the right thing. I smiled a little though, thinking this sounds so typical...I can remember me and my best friend tasting the liquor her dad kept behind his bar in their basement. My oldest daughter is going to be 13 in a couple months....I wonder what adventures I"ll have to look forward to with her ;)

First of all, I can so relate to the kids friends spending the night and how stressful it is. My son is 14 and had a friend spend the night last night. I went to bed about 10:30 while they were staying up watching movies. I re-awoke about 11:30 to check on them and found that they had gotten into the little bit of liquor I have and had poured rum into their cans of Mountain Dew. Needless to say, I ended the sleep over right then and there and my son won't be have any sleep overs for quite some time! This is such a frustrating age and I know I'm being paid back for all the grief I gave my Mom as a teenager!!!! !

Second of all, I think the answer to your question as to whether you should still eat breakfast, I think all the books and in talking with Gillian about this myself it is recommend to wait until you are actually hungry. Everything will balance out in the long fun. But, I have found that I have to listen to my body though, and my stomach may not be necessarily hungry, but I might get light headed or kind of a shaky feeling, that is my clue that I need to eat even though I don't really feel hungry. Hope this helps answer your question.

--Alana

------------ -- Original message ------------ -- From: Begeman <begemansyahoo (DOT) com>

Sometimes I think I'm doing better and then I realize I've only been fooling myself and still have such a long way to go :(Yesterday we went to the show (husband, daughters, and their friends). Of course the show started at 5:40 which meant that we kind of skipped right through dinner in the process of getting ready and making it to the show in time and ended up sitting in a dark theater with a big bucket of popcorn. And while it wasn't exactly a binge I ate more than "I" know I should have.. Afterward we came home and my daughters had their friends spend the night. For some reason this is always stressful for me (must be the control freak in me) and while I had actually thought about it in advance and planned to journal I ended up eating chocolate all evening long instead. GRRRR. The whole evening makes me so mad. I KNOW bettr than all of the things I did- should have eaten BEFORE the show, should

have did something to handle t he stress of the extra kids over, etc. I'm just feeling like I have absolutely no self control. And to top it off now I've woken up feeling bloated and with no appetite-am I supposed to eat breakfast anyway or wait til I get hungry (because usually when I overdo it the night before I'm not hungry until about 2pm which is too long to wait to eat, right?).Sorry for the gloom and doom today- I just need a little "you can do it" from someone. Thanks in advance everyone,

Thanks so much for the wonderful reply- it's just what I needed :)

Hi , and welcome to the group! First of all, stop beating yourself up! This process is just baby steps --- 2 forward and 1 back, it seems like sometimes. It's vital to be gentle with yourself; treat yourself the way you would your child or best friend. And stop with the "shoulds" already! There are no "shoulds" in IE, absolutely none. It's about awareness & choices. The awareness you had that evening about how you felt, what you were doing & why, that is progress. If you feel stressed and want chocolate, make a conscious decision/choice to eat it. Don't tell yourself you "shouldn't" eat it, or that you're bad for eating it, or that you have no self control or willpower. You're not bad and there's nothing "wrong" with you....you are simply taking care of yourself. As time goes on you'll figure out other ways to nurture yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Be nice to yourself along the

way!~Jen S.>> Sometimes I think I'm doing better and then I realize I've only been fooling myself and still have such a long way to go :(> > Yesterday we went to the show (husband, daughters, and their friends). Of course the show started at 5:40 which meant that we kind of skipped right through dinner in the process of getting ready and making it to the show in time and ended up sitting in a dark theater with a big bucket of popcorn. And while it wasn't exactly a binge I ate more than "I" know I should have. Afterward we came home and my daughters had their friends spend the night. For some reason this is always stressful for me

(must be the control freak in me) and while I had actually thought about it in advance and planned to journal I ended up eating chocolate all evening long instead. GRRRR. The whole evening makes me so mad. I KNOW bettr than all of the things I did- should have eaten BEFORE the show, should have did something to handle the stress of the extra kids over, etc. I'm just feeling like I have absolutely no self control. And to top it off now I've woken up feeling> bloated and with no appetite-am I supposed to eat breakfast anyway or wait til I get hungry (because usually when I overdo it the night before I'm not hungry until about 2pm which is too long to wait to eat, right?).> > Sorry for the gloom and doom today- I just need a little "you can do it" from someone. Thanks in advance everyone, > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________

_________ _____________ __> Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping>

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

I was LMAO about the part where you had a 6 inch at Subway that was over six grams of fat because that would be SO me to scan the menu there and think I couldn't have anything but the veggie. I'm proud of you!!! I hope I can do the same some day too. You've inspired me to try extra hard today :)

Ok, to deal with the shoulds--Right now, my toast should be whole wheat, but, I don't want it. My tea should have no sugar, and my dishes should already be done. So what. As human beings, we deal with a lot on a day-to-day basis and have to learn new ways to deal with other things. When I would get really depressed, I wouldn't eat much. When I was stressed, that cheese enchilada plate looked great. So, I ate it and enjoyed it. Give yourself permission to eat whatever you want(unlesss your doctor says no). Really. Yesterday, I had a cheese/egg crossiant(really) . I wanted a sandwich made with fried chicken, cheese and Santa Fe sauce. Then, later, I had a 6 inch at Subway that was over 6 grams fat. I felt good, didn't have the shakes, and today am eating healthier.The days before that, I was closer on eating healthier. I am eating what I want in moderation. If I don't want to finish my

plate, I save it for the next day, meal, etc. If you make any foods not allowed, then, it is harder to lose weight because you will want them. With knowing that I can have that Blueberry cheesecake any time I want, I don't want it right now. God Bless and Take care. Helen > >> > Hi , and

welcome to the group! First of all, stop beating > > yourself up! This process is just baby steps --- 2 forward and 1 > > back, it seems like sometimes. It's vital to be gentle with > > yourself; treat yourself the way you would your child or best > > friend. And stop with the "shoulds" already! There are no "shoulds" > > in IE, absolutely none. It's about awareness & choices. The > > awareness you had that evening about how you felt, what you were > > doing & why, that is progress. If you feel stressed and want > > chocolate, make a conscious decision/choice to eat it. Don't tell > > yourself you "shouldn't" eat it, or that you're bad for eating it, or > > that you have no self control or willpower. You're not bad and > > there's nothing "wrong" with you....you are simply taking > > care of yourself. As time goes

on you'll figure out other ways to > > nurture yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Be nice to yourself along the > > way!> > > > ~Jen S.>

Well, if it's anything like my son, it is just beginning. It is truly a roller coaster so strap yourself in and get ready for the ride of your life. I find I have to take each day as it comes and not expect a darn thing (I guess that's true for just about everything in life, huh?) There are times where he is the sweetest, kindest, most caring boy and I love him to pieces and then there are days where I wish I'd never given birth to him. Truly a love/hate relationship. Good luck to you!

--Alana

--------- Re: I know what I SHOULD be doing but....

First of all, I can so relate to the kids friends spending the night and how stressful it is. My son is 14 and had a friend spend the night last night. I went to bed about 10:30 while they were staying up watching movies. I re-awoke about 11:30 to check on them and found that they had gotten into the little bit of liquor I have and had poured rum into their cans of Mountain Dew. Needless to say, I ended the sleep over right then and there and my son won't be have any sleep overs for quite some time! This is such a frustrating age and I know I'm being paid back for all the grief I gave my Mom as a teenager!!!! !

--Alana

------------ -- Original message ------------ -- From: Begeman <begemansyahoo (DOT) com>

Sometimes I think I'm doing better and then I realize I've only been fooling myself and still have such a long way to go :(Yesterday we went to the show (husband, daughters, and their friends). Of course the show started at 5:40 which meant that we kind of skipped right through dinner in the process of getting ready and making it to the show in time and ended up sitting in a dark theater with a big bucket of popcorn. And while it wasn't exactly a binge I ate more than "I" know I should have.. Afterward we came home and my daughters had their friends spend the night. For some reason this is always stressful for me (must be the control freak in me) and while I had actually thought about it in advance and planned to journal I ended up eating chocolate all evening long instead. GRRRR. The whole evening makes me so mad. I KNOW bettr than all of the things I did- should have eaten BEFORE the show, should have did something to handle t he stress of the extra kids over, etc. I'm just feeling like I have absolutely no self control. And to top it off now I've woken up feeling bloated and with no appetite-am I supposed to eat breakfast anyway or wait til I get hungry (because usually when I overdo it the night before I'm not hungry until about 2pm which is too long to wait to eat, right?).Sorry for the gloom and doom today- I just need a little "you can do it" from someone. Thanks in advance everyone,