RemedySpot.com

Re: Question-new member

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Well it took me a while to deal with this eating only when hungry thing myself It finally dawned on me thanks to some posts from this wonderful group that I was being to strict about eating only when hungry and because this I was treating IE like a diet and that is not what it is it is guidelines on how to eat normally but if you are too strict with yourself it becomes another diet so my advice is to eat when your hungry eat your 3 meals and if you need to snacks but don't worry about what time you eat them and if you eat a little later then usual don't worry because your body will adjust to an eating schedule by itself once you have practiced the IE principles for a while your body is different then mine it took mine 6 months to adjust itself it might take you a longer time or a shorter time. As for the feelings of guilt when I eat what is considered a bad food I still struggle with those every days but as time goes on I find that those feelings are less and less of a struggle. I am not perfect every day some days I easy when I am not hungry but that is normal that what we are all trying to achieve teaching our bodies to eat normally again. So to sum all this up don't be so hard on yourself take it slow day by day give your body time to adjust and it will all fall into place not perfectly but normally. EvaStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Welcome and I want to say a big WOW! to the surprise that you are not

a native English speaking person. If you hadn't added that line in

your post, I would have never known (really doesn't matter either :)

All of what you wrote about are things we seem to go through and need

to process in ways that work for ourselves. I'm sure that as you have

been lurking you have even read some others posting like concerns.

Many of us have had a couple of 'starts' with non-dieting (IE) and

felt that it was the right way to go so here we are - struggling,

fumbling and many times laughing too. If you can remember to NOT

'fault' yourself, that's a good place to start as any. Then pick one

even little aspect of IE and 'play' with it. I too LOVE chocolate and

have finally (months later!) made it a pleasurable part of my life

instead of the 'demon' that I imagined it was. Hang in there and may

test for yourself how much you 'gain' of IE as you 'get' from here?

(and yourself too!)

Best to you, Katcha

>

> Hello,

>

> I've been a lurking member of this group for a while, but want to get

> more serious about IE. The thing for me is that in every attempt at IE

> in the past, I have fallen over the eat-only-when-you-are-hungry-part...

> So, my question is: what is your experience with this? Do you eat only

> when hungry, do you eat breakfast regardless of your hunger?

>

> An example of what makes me anxious would be this thing that happens

> to me all the time: during the evening I eat some potato-chips or

> like yesterday (at a birthday) have some applepie and some of the

> snacks that were on the table and the next morning (tadaaa..) I won't

> be hungry, which makes me feel sooooo deprived and as a result I don't

> sit down to eat some real food, but stand at the counter picking away

> at box of cereal for a long time. What to do about this issue??

>

> And another question is: I seem to be wanting chocolate every day

> throughout the day, even when I'm the least bit hungry. It's a habit

> of mine to drink coffee and eat chocolate when I sit down or am

> on the internet of just read a book. It makes me feel safe to have it,

> but it isn't healthy and I feel guilty for doing it. This not being

> able to stick with eating only when hungry, makes me alternate between

> thinking I need to diet and IE constantly. Because with dieting

> (certain diets)you are able to eat what you like within a certain

> caloric range. I know wanting chocolate is about comfort, but every

> attempt at giving it up results in a binge and a lot of feelings of

> deprivation.

>

> Another thing that keeps bothering me is that when doing IE, I tend to

> eat no fruit because I have spent years eating it because it was a good

> low cal option over other delicious things. I just can't get that out

> of the way and of course I do eat it sometimes, but it is hard to

> ignore the daily requirements when it comes to nutrition. As a result I

> really do have a poor diet, because so much of my want is in the

> chocolaty area, that I keep choosing those foods regardless of what my

> body might be wanting. I keep ignoring my body most of the time because

> I want to eat mainly forbidden foods that are high in calories, but I

> know I can't live on empty calories alone....

>

> I hope my post makes sense and I apologize before hand for any errors in

> language. My native language is a different one.

>

Welcome to our group! And as Katcha said, I would have never guessed your first language isn't English. Both Katcha and Eva touched on what I would also recommend, and that is just taking all this stuff slowly and dealing with one thing at a time. If you try to conquer it all at once, it will be too overwhelming and you won't be able to deal with it. It's like starting a six day a week exercise program after doing nothing for 10 years. Your body and mind will reject it.

And it's really important to remember that you have a choice about eating when hungry. You can eat if you aren't hungry, just make a conscious decision to do so. If eat always eat only when hungry because you think you should, that's a diet. There are no rules here, only choices.

Keep posting and sharing with us, many of us have been there and can relate and help.

Thanks!GillianGillian Hood-son, MS, ACSMHealthier OutcomesIt's not just about losing weight! Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight? Get your copy of our fr*e special report, "6 Simple Steps to Guilt Free Eating" by visiting http://www.healthieroutcomes.com

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of sunraisinpinkSent: Monday, January 21, 2008 3:54 AMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Question-new member

Hello,I've been a lurking member of this group for a while, but want to get more serious about IE. The thing for me is that in every attempt at IE in the past, I have fallen over the eat-only-when-you-are-hungry-part...So, my question is: what is your experience with this? Do you eat only when hungry, do you eat breakfast regardless of your hunger? An example of what makes me anxious would be this thing that happens to me all the time: during the evening I eat some potato-chips or like yesterday (at a birthday) have some applepie and some of the snacks that were on the table and the next morning (tadaaa..) I won't be hungry, which makes me feel sooooo deprived and as a result I don't sit down to eat some real food, but stand at the counter picking away at box of cereal for a long time. What to do about this issue??And another question is: I seem to be wanting chocolate every day throughout the day, even when I'm the least bit hungry. It's a habit of mine to drink coffee and eat chocolate when I sit down or am on the internet of just read a book. It makes me feel safe to have it, but it isn't healthy and I feel guilty for doing it. This not being able to stick with eating only when hungry, makes me alternate between thinking I need to diet and IE constantly. Because with dieting (certain diets)you are able to eat what you like within a certain caloric range. I know wanting chocolate is about comfort, but every attempt at giving it up results in a binge and a lot of feelings of deprivation. Another thing that keeps bothering me is that when doing IE, I tend to eat no fruit because I have spent years eating it because it was a good low cal option over other delicious things. I just can't get that out of the way and of course I do eat it sometimes, but it is hard to ignore the daily requirements when it comes to nutrition. As a result I really do have a poor diet, because so much of my want is in the chocolaty area, that I keep choosing those foods regardless of what my body might be wanting. I keep ignoring my body most of the time because I want to eat mainly forbidden foods that are high in calories, but I know I can't live on empty calories alone....I hope my post makes sense and I apologize before hand for any errors inlanguage. My native language is a different one.

Thanks all for responding! I sort of hoped to get some new rules to

live by as an answer to my questions, but I guess I would have rejected

them as well as other rules!

The thing about choices really made me think about the fact that IE is

my choice and eating mainly when hungry is too, so no rules just

choices, hmmmm, gotta get used to that some more!

Marjolein

Marjolein,

I love this, you are right on the money! We all want answers and rules in the beginning because it's what we are used to, but you will soon love the freedom that comes with not having rules, I promise!

Thanks!GillianGillian Hood-son, MS, ACSMHealthier OutcomesIt's not just about losing weight! Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight? Get your copy of our fr*e special report, "6 Simple Steps to Guilt Free Eating" by visiting http://www.healthieroutcomes.com

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of sunraisinpinkSent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:55 AMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Question-new member

Thanks all for responding! I sort of hoped to get some new rules to live by as an answer to my questions, but I guess I would have rejected them as well as other rules!The thing about choices really made me think about the fact that IE is my choice and eating mainly when hungry is too, so no rules just choices, hmmmm, gotta get used to that some more!Marjolein