RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: All Natural Foods

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It's about convenience for most people, I think, for one thing. Ivy, I'm sure when you started eating this way it took time to do your research and re-educate yourself and it takes time to find some of those real, organic, raw foods you mention. And, I'm sure it takes a bit more time to prepare some of the items you mention. While I have done a lot of reading on these sorts of items, and have made some recipes made of raw, organic foods, I find it takes a heck of a lot of work I have had to pick and choose what works for me. There are some things that I still use for convenience purposes and then there are some things that I have switched over to because I do enjoy them so much more (I agree with the Steel Cut Oatmeal and I absolutely love fresh whipped cream and I prefer my own hot chocolate over the mixes out there to just name a few). I also think that our culture is so inundated with the low-fat products, advertisments and information..

nbsp; I noticed on Saturday when I went to the store that every where I looked was a low fat product leaping out at me. I know it is that time of year when they beef it up, but I was so aware of it. It is just so sad that our govenment has done this to our culture and everyone has just gone right along with it and we wonder why there is such an obesity epedemic! Ivy I admire you for breaking the mold and going against the norm. For me, I want to work towards a balance and of course, when I can, do the au-naturale thing. And, thanks for re-educating all of us!

Alana

PS. Can we have your pudding recipe? Gee, maybe you should publish your own cookbook!

-------------- Original message --------------

That is sooooo me. :) Me and thousands like me all around the world. Her rants are my rants - her list like mine...except the beer. I never developed a taste for beer.I have lentils sprouting in my kitchen, raw milk in my refrigerator - and I"m learning to turn some of that raw milk into cheese of my own. I look for 'pastured' eggs - eat grass fed beef - and plenty of it - * including* the fat. I have raw vinegar - all my vinegar is raw - and raw honey. I buy coconut oil from wilderness family naturals - I have a gallon tub in the bottom of my pantry that I use to refill a jar that I keep on my stove. I buy Real Salt - and I salt to my heart and taste bud's content. It is NOT unhealthy and no matter how they try to convince us food tastes just as good without salt, it doesn't. I've got whole wheat flour soaking to bake bread later today, and a beet I'm going to chop up and ferment. And I also have a big jar of brown basmati rice in my pantry - a jar of course, since I avoid storing my food in plastic :) And, though I don't drink beer, I'm buying elderberry plants with plans to try my hand at elderberry wine and champagne :) One of my favourite presents this Christmas is a book called 'Wild Fermentation' :)I read labels - but not the 'nutrition information' that the government is so proud of. I never even look at it. I erad the small print - the ingredients. If it has HFCS, soy, cottonseed oil, or canola oil, partially hydrogenated or otherwise, MSG, rGBH, or non-organic corn/soy (therefore most likely GM) or a bunch of unnecessary ingredients and chemcial names, forget it. It's not worth it. Likewise I ignore the food pyramid. It misses the whole point. On the other hand I *Know* saturated fat is healthy - unsaturated vegetable oils and low fat diets are *not*. And, yeah... what she said.I guess you know me pretty well, katcha :). You'd be surprised I suppose t

o hear that most of the people we know in real life have no idea about all of this. We jsut don't talk about it unless it comes up. and even then, we tone it down since most people we know are sooo sold on low fat. They are so proud of their latest processed, artificial low fat/sugar find and so sure it's the key to health - when in reality it's more likely teh opposite. And I won't even get into taste comparisons between artificial ingredients compared to the real thing.As to how this fits into IE - quite well. These 'foods' are not 'illegal'. I could go buy any of them anytime I wanted. I truly don't want them. I can't even imagine wanting them. I know I did at one time, but IE and real food have cured me of that :).Most people these days are quite happy to eat mass produced, low fat or junk food not just because they have been told it's good for them, but also partly because they often don't realise how bad it tastes. Granted, some of it can be pretty good - they're pretty clever with their chemicals - how else did they get so rich off such lousy products? but if you've never had - or hadn't had in years - 'the real thing' in years, you won't have anythign to compare it to. But if like us, you've been eating high quality, 'real food', usually home prepared - it's not an effort to 'resist' - there is no resisting involved - any more than I have to 'resist' eating ___ - you fill in the blank. If I say, for instance, 'eating out of the litterbox' someone is sure to think' are you calling my food cat poo just cuz I don't think like you do??? and that is sooo not it.) I'm sure many of you have experienced this as well.Ivywww.westonaprice.org http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/discussingnt/ (but I"m not 'Ivy' there :) )>> I half suspect that this was written by our own dear 'Ivy' here, but> wanted to share with all of you another view about food selection -> > http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/britton3.html>