RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Gyms

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We have city run Recreation Centers here in Colorado. They have everything a lot of the high priced gyms have, all the cardio equipment, an indoor track, racquet ball courts, swimming pool, classes etc. They are priced based on whether you work and live in the city. You can pay each time you go, buy a punch pass or a yearly membership. I find they are well maintained and probably a bit more family oriented. I also found a trainer that totally gets where I'm at with the Inutuive stuff and is not hard core. I find that there are all types of people that work out there. You do of course have the hard core buff body types, but there are a lot of "normal" people. I feel totally comfortable there, and to be honest, I'm proud of myself for going despite my size and I really don't care what others might think of me. I go because it feels good to move my body. Some of you might want to check and see if there is anything out there in your area. I think there are other options out there than the over-priced gyms that cater to the Diet Mentality world.

--Alana

-------------- Original message --------------

Well done! Gyms are too connected with weight for me as well. Too manypeople talking about burning off what they ate, weighing themselves,purchasing diet bars....I can't deal with it right now. Maybe somedayI'll be comfortable enough to go to a gym, but for now I preferwalking and bike riding when I want to do activity.Now, if I could find a gym run by someone with an anti-dietphilosophy....wouldn't that be great? No talking about diets orcalories. Just go workout for the fun and health of it...relieve somestress. Maybe someday?>> Today I went and signed off on my gym membership. I haven't gone in > ages, and my membership ended 3 months ago, but you have to go in and > cancel in person or they keep on debiting your account.> &g

t; I have avoided going in because I knew they would ask me why and I > knew that I would be ashamed of being the fat woman not working out.> > Anyway, this IE process, this forum, the books I am reading, etc. > have given me some courage so I went in this morning to cancel.> > As I expected, I was questioned as to why I wasn't attending anymore > and why I wanted to cancel. > > I told the lovely, rail thin and super fit woman that I was "moving > in a direction that didn't include a focus on losing weight, and that > gym excersize was too inextricably connected with dieting for me to > have it do me any good at all".> > You should have seen the look on her face. She was very nice and > pretended to get it, but it was clear she was completely gobsmacked. > Why would a fat woman not want to focus on weight loss?> > I considered giving in to embarassment, but in the end I decided to > ignore the looks (there were a couple of other gym goers within > earshot) and walk out with the courage of my convictions. > > So there!!!>