RemedySpot.com

Re: gingerberad cookies and being nice...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The saying here from a chilfen's fairy tale:

"sugar and spice and everything nice."

I just assume that the spice included ginger,

as it did in our house. Here, a common Christmas

custom is to build gingerbread houses--and the

recipes vary greatly.

I myself am not really an authority on all this,

as we are jewish--not that we do not cook like

made fiends. Our holidays start on 12/21 and

last for a week--I know, "the twelve days of

Christmas"-- you two could indulge longer!

Love to you and to , Rebn

To: MSersLife Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 8:49:46 AMSubject: gingerberad cookies and being nice...

Hi all,As this is the first weekend of advent, time has come to start feasting on all the Christmas goodies. Such as gingerbread cookies, for instance, and glögg of course (warm wine drink, traditional Christmas thing in Sweden, I've bought six different kinds this year). In Sweden there is a saying that eating gingerbread cookies will make you nice - of course an excellent argument for any kid wanting more: "Mum, I don't think I'm nice enough yet, I probably need more gingerbread cookies"... To which the retort of course is: "Enough already, there IS such a thing as too nice. You don't want to be a complete doormat, do you?" I was wondering if other parts of the world has that saying too? Anyway I bought a kilo (about 2 pounds) today, so me and will probably be complete and absolute doormats come end of advent... love/Reb

I have celebrated on old Christmas - Epiphany for years - hate the commercial part which started here pre Halloween

I will celebrate Yule on 21 December with my sister and the dogs if I feel up to it and then crash - if not I crash and sleep until after the new year

gingerberad cookies and being nice...

Hi all,As this is the first weekend of advent, time has come to start feasting on all the Christmas goodies. Such as gingerbread cookies, for instance, and gl�gg of course (warm wine drink, traditional Christmas thing in Sweden, I've bought six different kinds this year). In Sweden there is a saying that eating gingerbread cookies will make you nice - of course an excellent argument for any kid wanting more: "Mum, I don't think I'm nice enough yet, I probably need more gingerbread cookies"... To which the retort of course is: "Enough already, there IS such a thing as too nice. You don't want to be a complete doormat, do you?" I was wondering if other parts of the world has that saying too? Anyway I bought a kilo (about 2 pounds) today, so me and will probably be complete and absolute doormats come end of advent... love/Reb

Sunday is the first Sunday of Advent in some parts of the world - I do remember celebrating St Day on the 6th of December there

Wassail and caroling is popular and was in England

gingerberad cookies and being nice...

Hi all,As this is the first weekend of advent, time has come to start feasting on all the Christmas goodies. Such as gingerbread cookies, for instance, and gl�gg of course (warm wine drink, traditional Christmas thing in Sweden, I've bought six different kinds this year). In Sweden there is a saying that eating gingerbread cookies will make you nice - of course an excellent argument for any kid wanting more: "Mum, I don't think I'm nice enough yet, I probably need more gingerbread cookies"... To which the retort of course is: "Enough already, there IS such a thing as too nice. You don't want to be a complete doormat, do you?" I was wondering if other parts of the world has that saying too? Anyway I bought a kilo (about 2 pounds) today, so me and will probably be complete and absolute doormats come end of advent... love/Reb

I've never tried Wassail, but I bet it's every bit as good as glögg!love/Reb>> Sunday is the first Sunday of Advent in some parts of the world - I do remember celebrating St Day on the 6th of December there> > Wassail and caroling is popular and was in England> gingerberad cookies and being nice...> > > Hi all,> > As this is the first weekend of advent, time has come to start feasting on all the Christmas goodies. Such as gingerbread cookies, for instance, and gl�gg of course (warm wine drink, traditional Christmas thing in Sweden, I've bought six different kinds this year). > > In Sweden there is a saying that eating gingerbread cookies will make you nice - of course an excellent argument for any kid wanting more: "Mum, I don't think I'm nice enough yet, I probably need more gingerbread cookies"... To which the retort of course is: "Enough already, there IS such a thing as too nice. You don't want to be a complete doormat, do you?" > > I was wondering if other parts of the world has that saying too? Anyway I bought a kilo (about 2 pounds) today, so me and will probably be complete and absolute doormats come end of advent... > > love> /Reb>

depending what you add to the fruit and juices - could be quite potent - when I did it with straight juices and simmered in a crock pot for 8 hours (I was at a hospital working in the mid 70's - we drafted the respiratory therapist to baby sit it) one of the older aides was acting drunk - every one else knew it was non alcoholic - since she was a !##$%^ & we didn't tell her what she was really drinking - it took 3 of the aids to take her home and get her up her stairs to her apartment.

I am on a diet and can not have the plum pudding and brandy sauce with the pudding - home made fruit cake that I use to make was my all time favorite - I use to cook a lot - I made 4 pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas with molasses - 3 for us and 1 for my BIL - he hated me but loved my pie

Germany has Advent calendars and the military brought them to the states - since my birthday and St Day are the same I always did that for the boys - stockings on the end of their beds - it is used for the good children or the iffy ones a warning with smalls sticks - the not so good get coal in them

gingerberad cookies and being nice...> > > Hi all,> > As this is the first weekend of advent, time has come to start feasting on all the Christmas goodies. Such as gingerbread cookies, for instance, and gl�gg of course (warm wine drink, traditional Christmas thing in Sweden, I've bought six different kinds this year). > > In Sweden there is a saying that eating gingerbread cookies will make you nice - of course an excellent argument for any kid wanting more: "Mum, I don't think I'm nice enough yet, I probably need more gingerbread cookies"... To which the retort of course is: "Enough already, there IS such a thing as too nice. You don't want to be a complete doormat, do you?" > > I was wondering if other parts of the world has that saying too? Anyway I bought a kilo (about 2 pounds) today, so me and will probably be complete and absolute doormats come end of advent... > > love> /Reb>

We tried a non-alcoholic glögg made with white whine, lime fruit and white chocolate. It was good, but not very "glögg-ish" (the spicy taste wasn't there). We had a friend and her 4-year old daughter over for the weekend. The daughter was very surprised at the gingerbread cookies on the breakfast table (she's probably too young to remember last Advent), and told us thst "You are not really supposed to have cookies for breakfast, not really"... We told her that that's true every day exept for the first of Advent, when cookies with your breakfast is ok. Her mother told her that "Usually I'd tell you to have a sandwich, and then, MAYBE, you could have a cookie. But today is first of Advent, and if you want only cookies for breakfast then go ahead". The girl was so excited about the cookie breakfast she had to call both her father (who was on a business trip) and her teenage brother (who was at a friends house) to tell them about it... Eventually she had a sandwich with the cookies, though...love/Reb> >> > Sunday is the first Sunday of Advent in some parts of the world - I do remember celebrating St Day on the 6th of December there> > > > Wassail and caroling is popular and was in England> > gingerberad cookies and being nice...> > > > > > Hi all,> > > > As this is the first weekend of advent, time has come to start feasting on all the Christmas goodies. Such as gingerbread cookies, for instance, and gl�gg of course (warm wine drink, traditional Christmas thing in Sweden, I've bought six different kinds this year). > > > > In Sweden there is a saying that eating gingerbread cookies will make you nice - of course an excellent argument for any kid wanting more: "Mum, I don't think I'm nice enough yet, I probably need more gingerbread cookies"... To which the retort of course is: "Enough already, there IS such a thing as too nice. You don't want to be a complete doormat, do you?" > > > > I was wondering if other parts of the world has that saying too? Anyway I bought a kilo (about 2 pounds) today, so me and will probably be complete and absolute doormats come end of advent... > > > > love> > /Reb> >>