RemedySpot.com

Re: Earthquake

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Well now you done gone and done done it, dagnabbit!!! I have the song stuck in my head (I feel the earth move under my feet...I feel the sky tumbling down, tumbling down...I feel the earth moooove..."

Anywhoo, I'm glad y'all are ok...how were the wine glasses?

Hugs

Akiba

-- Earthquake

Woke up from an earthquake this morning! One of the most powerful to ever hit Sweden - but of course still minimal in a global perspective. So far there has been some minor damage to buildings reported, but that's pretty much all (well, unless you count the things falling off our shelves, that is... but don't, it was all plastic and nothing was broken... come to think of it, though, I haven't checked the cabinet with our wine glasses yet...). For someone who has come to know earthquakes as something that only happens on the other side of the globe, it was really more confusing than anything else. The first thing I noticed, still practically sleeping was that the bed was shaking, then I (slightly more awake) noticed that the walls, the entire room, and probably the whole house was shaking too. My first (half-awake) instinct was to be upset with that very inconsiderate act of shaking someone's house in the middle of the night, or at least way before morning has broken. People really don't show any consideration for other people these days!... I was just about to say something to about the rudeness of it all, when I realized that people can't really shake big houses like that, no matter how rude and inconsiderate they are... And then I heard say: "Reb! Wake up, it's an earthquake!" To which my response was: "Oh.. THAT'S what it is?!" And 20 minutes later they were reporting about it on the radio - at that time they still hadn't had it confirmed by the Swedish seismological centre (we have one, mainly for research purposes, as we practically don't get earthquakes), but an American seismological institute had registered it and could confirm it. So, it's official, we've had an earthquake. love/Reb - shaken, not stirred...

LOL.One wine glass cracked – but that's way better than expected! I kind of feared that there wouldn't be one single red wine glass left. Our red wine glasses are thin crystal ones, and we usually say (and reassure our guests when accidents happen...) that all it takes to break them is to breathe on them. I guess from now on we'll have to add that, however, they are, to some extent, earthquake safe... They are nice glasses in many ways, but they aren't exactly the durable kind... We kind of expect one or more to break if we serve wine in them for a dinner party.But HAD we lost the glasses in this quake our insurance company would have compensated us. Imagine that. I didn't think home owners insurances covered earthquakes, or anything that would fall under the "natural disaster" heading. They don't cover much of the storm damages we have more regularly, at least, that's for sure. But according to the news here earthquakes are covered by every insurance company in Sweden. I guess they never counted on ever having to actually pay a Swedish customer for that, though.... love/Reb>> Well now you done gone and done done it, dagnabbit!!! I have the song stuck> in my head (I feel the earth move under my feet...I feel the sky tumbling> down, tumbling down...I feel the earth moooove..."> > Anywhoo, I'm glad y'all are ok...how were the wine glasses?> > Hugs> > Akiba> > > > -- Earthquake> > > > Woke up from an earthquake this morning! One of the most powerful to ever> hit Sweden - but of course still minimal in a global perspective. So far> there has been some minor damage to buildings reported, but that's pretty> much all (well, unless you count the things falling off our shelves, that is> .. but don't, it was all plastic and nothing was broken... come to think of> it, though, I haven't checked the cabinet with our wine glasses yet...). > > > > For someone who has come to know earthquakes as something that only happens> on the other side of the globe, it was really more confusing than anything> else. The first thing I noticed, still practically sleeping was that the bed> was shaking, then I (slightly more awake) noticed that the walls, the entire> room, and probably the whole house was shaking too. My first (half-awake)> instinct was to be upset with that very inconsiderate act of shaking someone> s house in the middle of the night, or at least way before morning has> broken. People really don't show any consideration for other people these> days!... I was just about to say something to about the rudeness of it> all, when I realized that people can't really shake big houses like that, no> matter how rude and inconsiderate they are... And then I heard say: > Reb! Wake up, it's an earthquake!" To which my response was: "Oh.. THAT'S> what it is?!" And 20 minutes later they were reporting about it on the radio> - at that time they still hadn't had it confirmed by the Swedish> seismological centre (we have one, mainly for research purposes, as we> practically don't get earthquakes), but an American seismological institute> had registered it and could confirm it. So, it's official, we've had an> earthquake. > > > > love> > /Reb - shaken, not stirred...>

I am in California, and am never happy to hear of someone's

having experienced an earthquake--

I am just glad that you are both o.k.

And, your post got Akiba to remembering a song!

Cheers!

n

Ooo, something I

REALLY don’t miss from living in California!

Am glad to hear that

you survived fairly unharmed, shaken but not stirred!

T

in WY

" You get a wonderful view from the point of no return... "

http://practical-blackwork.blogspot.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liadains_fancies

Earthquake

Woke up from an earthquake this morning! One of the

most powerful to ever hit Sweden -

but of course still minimal in a global perspective. So far there has been some

minor damage to buildings reported, but that's pretty much all (well, unless

you count the things falling off our shelves, that is... but don't, it was all

plastic and nothing was broken... come to think of it, though, I haven't

checked the cabinet with our wine glasses yet...).

For someone who has come to know earthquakes as something that only happens on

the other side of the globe, it was really more confusing than anything else.

The first thing I noticed, still practically sleeping was that the bed was

shaking, then I (slightly more awake) noticed that the walls, the entire room,

and probably the whole house was shaking too. My first (half-awake) instinct

was to be upset with that very inconsiderate act of shaking someone's house in

the middle of the night, or at least way before morning has broken. People

really don't show any consideration for other people these days!... I was just

about to say something to about the rudeness of it all, when I realized

that people can't really shake big houses like that, no matter how rude and

inconsiderate they are... And then I heard say: " Reb! Wake up, it's

an earthquake! " To which my response was: " Oh.. THAT'S what it

is?! " And 20 minutes later they were reporting about it on the radio - at

that time they still hadn't had it confirmed by the Swedish seismological

centre (we have one, mainly for research purposes, as we practically don't get

earthquakes), but an American seismological institute had registered it and

could confirm it. So, it's official, we've had an earthquake.

love

/Reb - shaken, not stirred...