RemedySpot.com

The Weather, the winter solstice, etc.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I fell asleep much earlier in the night, and left the television on.I was gradually awakened listening to the morning report of theweather, especially in the northern parts of the United States andof Canada, of the Pacific coast, and even of California.I can only imagine being stuck in a house or apartment ordouble-wide trailer without heat, and below zero weatherwith a windchill way below zero. In North Dakota one townwas -37 degrees!Having lived in Michigan, I can only imagine the cost of heating any home with either oil or coal, much less witha pellet stove or a wood stove.I had occasion to phone the Internet folks at Comcastthe other day--got Winnipeg,

which was good, but I didask about the weather--really bad up their--cars under snow, trucks with snow half-way up the truck, etc.Made me feel rather spoiled with my safe apartmentin which every other tenant heats the apartment so muchthat I do not even have to turn my heat on--and it is now cold--even here.This year I have the same feelings that my father had about"the Solstice Season." I approach it--in general--with a certainamount of misgiving. I loved the film about the Rev. andhis church of "Stop Shopping." However, I do enjoy cooking. I certainly do enjoy eating,and I love getting together with relatives, friends, extendedfamily, family of choice.I am reminded of my father, a "devout Atheist," who was,nonetheless a scholar of many religions, our family's Judaismincluded. However, the emphasis was always on how one treats

other people. For him--and he lived this--the ethicswere always the thing. This was also true of my mother, whoexplained this all very carefully to each of us, with the resultthat our dad always said, "Kids, just do as your mother tells you."She, of course, gave the same advice with respect to him.At least now, the winter Solstice has taken place, and from nowon, now matter what, the universe has determined that each dayfrom now on shall have more sun each day until the end of December21st next year--and the same will occur no matter which calendarone might be using.So, may each of you get together with someone, eat well,share ideas and thoughts, giggle a bit, and enjoy your dayor days.Love to you all,n Rojas n