RemedySpot.com

RE: Question?/for the food-ie Kate ;0)...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We'll be spending Christmas at my mother's house this year. But...Christmas dinner (served sometime during the afternoon, early evening, on Christmas Eve,a ns is supposed to last at least a couple of hours) in Sweden is, like I understand Thanksgiving dinner to be in the US, pretty much set from year to year. And wouldn't it be, since it contains more or less every food known to man...Or well, a pretty standard, traditional Swedish Christmas dinner would contain the following:To start with:- Herring (pickled, preferrably at least 2-3 kinds, but could be more)- Eggs (boiled)- Potatoes (boiled)- Herring sallad (contains: salted herring, red beet, apple, cream and mayonnaise, and sometimes potatoes, served cold)- "Janssons Frestelse" (litterally "Jansson's Temptation", a gratin of potatoes and anchovies (or sprats), with cream, butter and onion)- Smoked salmon, or "gravlax" (ie. a Scandinavian dish consisting of raw salmon cured in salt, sugar and dill), or sometimes BOTH smoked salmon and gravlax (and here the traditions differ somewhat, some families save the salmon for the second part of the dinner)To follow:- Ham (boiled, then baked with mustard and breadcrumb, and some other things as well, have watched my mother do it every year as a child, but still not sure of what exactly goes in there...)- Swedish meatballs (absolutely essential!)- "Prinskorv" (accordning to Wikipedia, it's called that in English too, it's a small Swedish sausage, the name literally means "Prince sausage")- "Fläskkorv" (again, Wikipedia offers no other name in English, the translation is "Pork sausage", it's a traditional Swedish Sausage)- Liver sausage (I don't like it, but LOVES it)- Head Cheese (it's a meat dish, despite it's name), up to THREE different kinds.- Ribs - "Leverpastej" (a paté made of liver - I LOVE it)- A red beet sallad (sort of like the herring sallad, but without the herring, goes excellent with the meatballs)- Red cabbage- "brunkål" (literally "brown cabbage", it's cabbage fried and then boiled with, among other things, syrup and vinegar)And these are just the basics, other fish or meat could be added, my mum sometimes add smoked lamb, for instance.If, by any chance, you manage to still be hungry, or, more likely, if you are still able to get anything down without risking an ER-visit due to over-eating, the traditional way to finish this off would be with rice pudding.The Christmas dinner is in Swedish known as "julbord", where "jul" is the word for Christmas and "bord" means table. As the word may imply, it is a version of the, perhaps more famous, Smörgåsbord. I think the strangest thing I ever heard anyone say about the Swedish julbord was that it left them still hungry (it was in an intervju with someone of Swedish heritage living abroad, and in the context of "We ried it one year, and we liked it, but the problem is it left us still hungry, we need more food than that"). I could understand not liking it, but I must say, if you leave a julbord still hungry, especially if you like what's on it enough to have even minimal pieces of everything, you are DEFINITELY not doing it right... I suppose that would be obvious from the list above... And finally, a recipe of a white hot chocolate we will be making and enjoying this year (we are doing it instead of bringing homemade candy this year):You need:- 1 litre of milk- 5 star anise (spice)- 3 cinnamon quills- 1 vanilla pod- cardamom (about 1 teaspoon)- 100 gram (about 0,22 pound) white chocolateDo it like this:Heat and boil milk with all the spices, put it aside for a while, and let the milk really absorb the taste. Then pour it through a strainer to remove the spices. The seeds from the vanilla pod should be returned to the milk, though. Then reheat the milk and let the white chocolate melt in it. Serve hot! It's absolutely irresistible!love - and Happy Holidays to all!/Reb >> Great post, n!You make many excellent points! Your lavish desserts sound awesome..I would love to ask everyone what foodthey will be serving or enjoying at someoneelse's home, 'cause Kate is such a food-ie, Ijust NEED to know!I will be serving 2 very different things--ham with sweet potatoes and asparagus,and turkey-lasagna (ground turkey that is)and brocolli. I think my brother and sis-inlaw are bringing dessert so that frees me up.I enjoy planning out menus, so thatif one kid doesn't like one thing, he/shewill like the other, or happily, both.I hope no one minds my going on aboutfood, but it is such a social event!Here is to Akiba's awesome reunionwith her precious son! Praying for nobattles with anyone!love to all, Kate Re: Question? those week-end and holiday > medical crises> > Very true, it does seem that way.> Jolie> > > > Please visit: http://www.bicycleman.comawesome guy, fantastic site. All types of bicyles, many recumbents; perfect for an MS Bike Tour!>

We'll be spending Christmas at my mother's house this year. But...Christmas dinner (served sometime during the afternoon, early evening, on Christmas Eve,a ns is supposed to last at least a couple of hours) in Sweden is, like I understand Thanksgiving dinner to be in the US, pretty much set from year to year. And wouldn't it be, since it contains more or less every food known to man...Or well, a pretty standard, traditional Swedish Christmas dinner would contain the following:To start with:- Herring (pickled, preferrably at least 2-3 kinds, but could be more)- Eggs (boiled)- Potatoes (boiled)- Herring sallad (contains: salted herring, red beet, apple, cream and mayonnaise, and sometimes potatoes, served cold)- "Janssons Frestelse" (litterally "Jansson's Temptation", a gratin of potatoes and anchovies (or sprats), with cream, butter and onion)- Smoked salmon, or "gravlax" (ie. a Scandinavian dish consisting of raw salmon cured in salt, sugar and dill), or sometimes BOTH smoked salmon and gravlax (and here the traditions differ somewhat, some families save the salmon for the second part of the dinner)To follow:- Ham (boiled, then baked with mustard and breadcrumb, and some other things as well, have watched my mother do it every year as a child, but still not sure of what exactly goes in there...)- Swedish meatballs (absolutely essential!)- "Prinskorv" (accordning to Wikipedia, it's called that in English too, it's a small Swedish sausage, the name literally means "Prince sausage")- "Fläskkorv" (again, Wikipedia offers no other name in English, the translation is "Pork sausage", it's a traditional Swedish Sausage)- Liver sausage (I don't like it, but LOVES it)- Head Cheese (it's a meat dish, despite it's name), up to THREE different kinds.- Ribs - "Leverpastej" (a paté made of liver - I LOVE it)- A red beet sallad (sort of like the herring sallad, but without the herring, goes excellent with the meatballs)- Red cabbage- "brunkål" (literally "brown cabbage", it's cabbage fried and then boiled with, among other things, syrup and vinegar)And these are just the basics, other fish or meat could be added, my mum sometimes add smoked lamb, for instance.If, by any chance, you manage to still be hungry, or, more likely, if you are still able to get anything down without risking an ER-visit due to over-eating, the traditional way to finish this off would be with rice pudding.The Christmas dinner is in Swedish known as "julbord", where "jul" is the word for Christmas and "bord" means table. As the word may imply, it is a version of the, perhaps more famous, Smörgåsbord. I think the strangest thing I ever heard anyone say about the Swedish julbord was that it left them still hungry (it was in an intervju with someone of Swedish heritage living abroad, and in the context of "We ried it one year, and we liked it, but the problem is it left us still hungry, we need more food than that"). I could understand not liking it, but I must say, if you leave a julbord still hungry, especially if you like what's on it enough to have even minimal pieces of everything, you are DEFINITELY not doing it right... I suppose that would be obvious from the list above... And finally, a recipe of a white hot chocolate we will be making and enjoying this year (we are doing it instead of bringing homemade candy this year):You need:- 1 litre of milk- 5 star anise (spice)- 3 cinnamon quills- 1 vanilla pod- cardamom (about 1 teaspoon)- 100 gram (about 0,22 pound) white chocolateDo it like this:Heat and boil milk with all the spices, put it aside for a while, and let the milk really absorb the taste. Then pour it through a strainer to remove the spices. The seeds from the vanilla pod should be returned to the milk, though. Then reheat the milk and let the white chocolate melt in it. Serve hot! It's absolutely irresistible!love - and Happy Holidays to all!/Reb >> Great post, n!You make many excellent points! Your lavish desserts sound awesome..I would love to ask everyone what foodthey will be serving or enjoying at someoneelse's home, 'cause Kate is such a food-ie, Ijust NEED to know!I will be serving 2 very different things--ham with sweet potatoes and asparagus,and turkey-lasagna (ground turkey that is)and brocolli. I think my brother and sis-inlaw are bringing dessert so that frees me up.I enjoy planning out menus, so thatif one kid doesn't like one thing, he/shewill like the other, or happily, both.I hope no one minds my going on aboutfood, but it is such a social event!Here is to Akiba's awesome reunionwith her precious son! Praying for nobattles with anyone!love to all, Kate Re: Question? those week-end and holiday > medical crises> > Very true, it does seem that way.> Jolie> > > > Please visit: http://www.bicycleman.comawesome guy, fantastic site. All types of bicyles, many recumbents; perfect for an MS Bike Tour!>

Wow, how

interesting!  I like food history, and you can certainly see from this list how

old the traditions are – so many things people could have kept without

electricity, refridgeration, etc.

I don’t see

how anybody could go away hungry from this either – even somebody like me

who doesn’t eat fish, there’s LOTS of other yummy stuff!

Re: Question?/for

the food-ie Kate ;0)...

We'll be spending Christmas at my mother's house this

year. But...Christmas dinner (served sometime during the afternoon, early

evening, on Christmas Eve,a ns is supposed to last at least a couple of hours)

in Sweden is, like I understand Thanksgiving dinner to be in the US, pretty

much set from year to year. And wouldn't it be, since it contains more or less

every food known to man...Or well, a pretty standard, traditional Swedish

Christmas dinner would contain the following:

To start with:

- Herring (pickled, preferrably at least 2-3 kinds, but could be more)

- Eggs (boiled)

- Potatoes (boiled)

- Herring sallad (contains: salted herring, red beet, apple, cream and

mayonnaise, and sometimes potatoes, served cold)

- " Janssons Frestelse " (litterally " Jansson's Temptation " ,

a gratin of potatoes and anchovies (or sprats), with cream, butter and onion)

- Smoked salmon, or " gravlax " (ie. a Scandinavian dish consisting of

raw salmon cured in salt, sugar and dill), or sometimes

BOTH smoked salmon and gravlax (and here the traditions differ somewhat, some

families save the salmon for the second part of the dinner)

To follow:

- Ham (boiled, then baked with mustard and breadcrumb, and some other things as

well, have watched my mother do it every year as a child, but still not sure of

what exactly goes in there...)

- Swedish meatballs (absolutely essential!)

- " Prinskorv " (accordning to Wikipedia, it's called that in English

too, it's a small Swedish sausage, the name literally means " Prince

sausage " )

- " Fläskkorv " (again, Wikipedia offers no other name in

English, the translation is " Pork sausage " , it's a traditional

Swedish Sausage)

- Liver sausage (I don't like it, but LOVES it)

- Head Cheese (it's a meat dish, despite it's name), up to THREE different

kinds.

- Ribs

- " Leverpastej " (a paté made of liver - I LOVE it)

- A red beet sallad (sort of like the herring sallad, but without the herring,

goes excellent with the meatballs)

- Red cabbage

- " brunkål " (literally " brown cabbage " , it's cabbage fried

and then boiled with, among other things, syrup and vinegar)

And these are just the basics, other fish or meat could be added, my mum

sometimes add smoked lamb, for instance.

If, by any chance, you manage to still be hungry, or, more likely, if you are

still able to get anything down without risking an ER-visit due to over-eating,

the traditional way to finish this off would be with rice pudding.

The Christmas dinner is in Swedish known as " julbord " , where

" jul " is the word for Christmas and " bord " means table. As

the word may imply, it is a version of the, perhaps more famous, Smörgåsbord.

I think the strangest thing I ever heard anyone say about the Swedish julbord

was that it left them still hungry (it was in an intervju with someone of

Swedish heritage living abroad, and in the context of " We ried it one

year, and we liked it, but the problem is it left us still hungry, we need more

food than that " ). I could understand not liking it, but I must say, if you

leave a julbord still hungry, especially if you like what's on it enough to

have even minimal pieces of everything, you are DEFINITELY not doing it

right... I suppose that would be obvious from the list above...

And finally, a recipe of a white hot chocolate we will be making and enjoying

this year (we are doing it instead of bringing homemade candy this year):

You need:

- 1 litre of milk

- 5 star anise (spice)

- 3 cinnamon quills

- 1 vanilla pod

- cardamom (about 1 teaspoon)

- 100 gram (about 0,22 pound) white chocolate

Do it like this:

Heat and boil milk with all the spices, put it aside for a while, and let the

milk really absorb the taste. Then pour it through a strainer to remove the

spices. The seeds from the vanilla pod should be returned to the milk, though.

Then reheat the milk and let the white chocolate melt in it.

Serve hot! It's absolutely irresistible!

love - and Happy Holidays to all!

/Reb

>

> Great post, n!You make many excellent points! Your lavish desserts

sound awesome..I would love to ask everyone what foodthey will be serving or

enjoying at someoneelse's home, 'cause Kate is such a food-ie, Ijust NEED to

know!I will be serving 2 very different things--ham with sweet potatoes and

asparagus,and turkey-lasagna (ground turkey that is)and brocolli. I think

my brother and sis-inlaw are bringing dessert so that frees me up.I enjoy

planning out menus, so thatif one kid doesn't like one thing, he/shewill like

the other, or happily, both.I hope no one minds my going on aboutfood, but it

is such a social event!Here is to Akiba's awesome reunionwith her precious

son! Praying for nobattles with anyone!love to all, Kate Re: Question? those week-end and holiday > medical

crises> > Very true, it does seem that way.> Jolie> > > >

Please visit: http://www.bicycleman.comawesome guy, fantastic site. All types

of bicyles, many recumbents; perfect for an MS Bike Tour!

>

Exactly, a lot of smoked, salted, cured and pickled things there. In

fact, some of the food traditions around the julbord dates back to the

Viking midwinter-fest (and the Viking version of Paradise was one never

ending feast like that...). I'll enclose two photos of julbord I found

on the internet. Apart from the fact that the julbord on one of the pictures

have all parts of the meal (the first part, the second part, and the

rice pudding) out on the same table at the same time, which wouldn't be

done at an ordinary serving of julbord (but is probably arranged that

way for the photo-op), they are both quite representative of a traditional/typical julbord.

And the photos made me realize I had left something out from my list:

Bread and cheese. Of course, of course... And every year someone will

eventually say something like: "I think I'll pass over another round of

bread, because there is no way I could get that down and not have my

stomach explode. But...do give me one more slice of cheese, because

there MIGHT just be room for that."...love/Reb> >> > Great post, n!You

make many excellent points! Your lavish desserts> sound awesome..I would love to ask everyone what foodthey will be serving or> enjoying at someoneelse's home, 'cause Kate is such a food-ie, Ijust NEED to> know!I will be serving 2 very different things--ham with sweet potatoes and> asparagus,and turkey-lasagna (ground turkey that is)and brocolli. I think my> brother and sis-inlaw are bringing dessert so that frees me up.I enjoy> planning out menus, so thatif one kid doesn't like one thing, he/shewill> like the other, or happily, both.I hope no one minds my going on aboutfood,> but it is such a social event!Here is to Akiba's awesome reunionwith her> precious son! Praying for nobattles with anyone!love to all, Kate-----> Original Message -----From: marion j rojas Date: Sunday, December 21, 2008> 3:58 pmSubject: Re: Question? those week-end and holiday battlesTo:>

MSersLife Maybe one of the few advantages of being Jewish-->> and this about cultural stuff, not religious faith--is that> by the time one> has endured the unending synagogue> rituals--some of which are very lovely> and rewarding--> later, when one has the dinner, everyone is so relieved,>> positive, happy and HUNGRY, that on one fights. We> are just too busy> EATING! I suspect that ritualized > family arguments have nothing to do with> Christmas,> much less with Christianity, but with the fact that as > our> family members move farther and farther away,> we get together at Christmas,> and as my eldest sister> observed, "only at weddings and funerals."> > There> are enough young people in our family, still> that the food alone usually> just shuts everyone up> (no matter how briefly). I am working on Creme >>

Bruleee and Dulce de Leche (doolsay day lechay)> at the moment. Shuts me> up!> > All that said, let us all hope, and meditate and pray--> if that is> what we do-- for Akiba's Robbin's safe re> turn to his new home with his> real mother, Akiba.> on December 27th--a Saturday.> > Love, > > n> > >> > > > ________________________________> From: Akiba > To:> MSersLife Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 12:50:46 PM>> Subject: Re: Question? those week-end and holiday > medical crises>> > > Yeah, it also seems every really nasty family argument starts at > a> holiday dinner...> Hugs> Akiba> > -- Re: Question? those week-end and holiday >

medical crises>> > Very true, it does seem that way.> Jolie> > > > Please visit:> http://www.bicycleman.comawesome guy, fantastic site. All types of bicyles,> many recumbents; perfect for an MS Bike Tour!> >>

Ta semester! - sök efter resor hos Kelkoo. Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum: http://www.kelkoo.se/c-169901-resor-biljetter.html

LOL! Reb, thanks for your Christmad food post! I'm"eating up" all these food posts, and gleaning ideas!More cheese, less bread! lol!holiday hugs, Kate in NY Re: Question? those week-end and holiday > > medical crises>> > > Very true, it does seem that way.> Jolie> > > > Please visit:> > http://www.bicycleman.comawesome guy, fantastic site. All > types of bicyles,> > many recumbents; perfect for an MS Bike Tour!> > >> >> > > > __________________________________________________________> Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling. > Sök och jämför priser hos Kelkoo.> http://www.kelkoo.se/c-100015813-bredband.html?partnerId=96914325 Please visit: http://www.bicycleman.comawesome guy, fantastic site. All types of bicyles, many recumbents; perfect for an MS Bike Tour!

Attachment: vcard [not shown]

Reb, those pics are awesome! The first one looks like it is in a snow cave of some sort? I love the arrays, and the candles...beautiful!! You are so lucky to live there! Hugs Akiba -- Re: Question? those week-end and holiday > medical crises>> > Very true, it does seem that way.> Jolie> > > > Please visit:> http://www.bicycleman.comawesome guy, fantastic site. All types of bicyles,> many recumbents; perfect for an MS Bike Tour!> >>

Ta semester! - sök efter resor hos Kelkoo. Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum: http://www.kelkoo.se/c-169901-resor-biljetter.html

Doesn’t that look

wonderful?

And I agree –

there’s always room for one more bite of cheese! J

T

in WY

" You get a wonderful view from the point of no return... "

http://practical-blackwork.blogspot.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liadains_fancies

Re: Question?/for

the food-ie Kate ;0)...

Exactly, a lot of smoked, salted, cured and pickled

things there. In fact, some of the food traditions around the julbord dates

back to the Viking midwinter-fest (and the Viking version of Paradise

was one never ending feast like that...). I'll enclose two photos of julbord I

found on the internet. Apart from the fact that the julbord on one of the

pictures have all parts of the meal (the first part, the second part, and the

rice pudding) out on the same table at the same time, which wouldn't be done at

an ordinary serving of julbord (but is probably arranged that way for the

photo-op), they are both quite representative of a traditional/typical julbord.

And the photos made me realize I had left something out from my list: Bread and

cheese. Of course, of course... And every year someone will eventually say

something like: " I think I'll pass over another round of bread, because

there is no way I could get that down and not have my stomach explode. But...do

give me one more slice of cheese, because there MIGHT just be room for that. " ...

love

/Reb