RemedySpot.com

Re: Dogs and Christmas and Holidays

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It seems to me--and I am a former dog trainer--that short, usually one-word or one-sound consistentlycommands work well with dogs. Dogs just do not understand "Oh, Good Grief, Rover, why the h*** don't you getout of my way! Can't you see that I am trying to get to thebathroom?" Etc. So long as consistency is used, most dogs respond to short commands: Move, Down, Go!Com! etc. Our youngest child discovered however, that, when the largest dog was in the way, that "Beep-Beep!"worked better than "Back!" Hand gestures are helpful,to go with "Up!" "Down," provided that we humans donot get too confused. We did learn that we had to betrained, too:1) put all food way up high or in the refrigerator or freezer;2) do not

leave food wrappers, candy wrappers, etc. on floor;3) a desperate dog will even eat fresh fruit or pry open a can;it pays to have cupboards and high shelves--with no chairsnear them.The pathetic look on the family dog's or dogs' faces as one eats holiday candy is pathetic, but chocolate andcaffeine are supposed to be very bad for dogs, so we usually kept small dog biscuits around to console them.My dogs now live with friends nearby. I always think as Ispill something in the kitchen that the dog will get it--thenit dawns on me--no dog in the apartment! Kind of sad,when one has lived all one's life with dogs.Love,n, whose mother raised Kerry Blue Terriers for show--and they are very, very smart!

It seems to me--and I am a former dog trainer--that short, usually one-word or one-sound consistentlycommands work well with dogs. Dogs just do not understand "Oh, Good Grief, Rover, why the h*** don't you getout of my way! Can't you see that I am trying to get to thebathroom?" Etc. So long as consistency is used, most dogs respond to short commands: Move, Down, Go!Com! etc. Our youngest child discovered however, that, when the largest dog was in the way, that "Beep-Beep!"worked better than "Back!" Hand gestures are helpful,to go with "Up!" "Down," provided that we humans donot get too confused. We did learn that we had to betrained, too:1) put all food way up high or in the refrigerator or freezer;2) do not

leave food wrappers, candy wrappers, etc. on floor;3) a desperate dog will even eat fresh fruit or pry open a can;it pays to have cupboards and high shelves--with no chairsnear them.The pathetic look on the family dog's or dogs' faces as one eats holiday candy is pathetic, but chocolate andcaffeine are supposed to be very bad for dogs, so we usually kept small dog biscuits around to console them.My dogs now live with friends nearby. I always think as Ispill something in the kitchen that the dog will get it--thenit dawns on me--no dog in the apartment! Kind of sad,when one has lived all one's life with dogs.Love,n, whose mother raised Kerry Blue Terriers for show--and they are very, very smart!

add grapes, raisins to the list

Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:47:39 -0800 (PST)

>It seems to me--and I am a former dog trainer--

>that short, usually one-word or one-sound consistently

>commands work well with dogs. Dogs just do not under

>stand " Oh, Good Grief, Rover, why the h*** don't you get

>out of my way! Can't you see that I am trying to get to the

>bathroom? " Etc. So long as consistency is used, most

>dogs respond to short commands: Move, Down, Go!

>Com! etc. Our youngest child discovered however,

>that, when the largest dog was in the way, that

> " Beep-Beep! " worked better than " Back! " Hand gestures are

>helpful, to go with " Up! " " Down, " provided that we humans

>do not get too confused. We did learn that we had to be

>trained, too:

>

>1) put all food way up high or in the refrigerator or

>freezer; 2) do not leave food wrappers, candy wrappers,

>etc. on floor; 3) a desperate dog will even eat fresh fruit

>or pry open a can; it pays to have cupboards and high

>shelves--with no chairs near them.

>

>The pathetic look on the family dog's or dogs' faces as

>one eats holiday candy is pathetic, but chocolate and

>caffeine are supposed to be very bad for dogs, so we

>usually kept small dog biscuits around to console them.

>

>My dogs now live with friends nearby. I always think as I

>spill something in the kitchen that the dog will get

>it--then it dawns on me--no dog in the apartment! Kind of

>sad, when one has lived all one's life with dogs.

>

>Love,

>n, whose mother raised Kerry Blue Terriers for show--

>and they are very, very smart!

Mine will even eat: carrots, celery,parsnips, beets, asparagus, peas,etc.Love,n, referring to the dogs, of courseTo: MSersLife Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:38:38 PMSubject: Re: Dogs and Christmas and

Holidays add grapes, raisins to the list Re: Dogs and Christmas and Holidays Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:47:39 -0800 (PST) >It seems to me--and I am a former dog trainer-- >that short, usually one-word or one-sound consistently >commands work well with dogs.

Dogs just do not under >stand "Oh, Good Grief, Rover, why the h*** don't you get >out of my way! Can't you see that I am trying to get to the >bathroom?" Etc. So long as consistency is used, most >dogs respond to short commands: Move, Down, Go! >Com! etc. Our youngest child discovered however, >that, when the largest dog was in the way, that >"Beep-Beep! " worked better than "Back!" Hand gestures are >helpful, to go with "Up!" "Down," provided that we humans >do not get too confused. We did learn that we had to be >trained, too: > >1) put all food way up high or in the refrigerator or >freezer; 2) do not leave food wrappers, candy wrappers, >etc. on floor; 3) a desperate dog will even eat fresh fruit >or pry open a can; it pays to have cupboards and high >shelves--with no chairs near them. > >The pathetic look on the

family dog's or dogs' faces as >one eats holiday candy is pathetic, but chocolate and >caffeine are supposed to be very bad for dogs, so we >usually kept small dog biscuits around to console them. > >My dogs now live with friends nearby. I always think as I >spill something in the kitchen that the dog will get >it--then it dawns on me--no dog in the apartment! Kind of >sad, when one has lived all one's life with dogs. > >Love, >n, whose mother raised Kerry Blue Terriers for show-- >and they are very, very smart!

mind spasm - raisins and grapes are bad like chocolate

Re: Dogs and Christmas and HolidaysDate: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:47:39 -0800 (PST)>It seems to me--and I am a former dog trainer-->that short, usually one-word or one-sound consistently>commands work well with dogs. Dogs just do not under>stand "Oh, Good Grief, Rover, why the h*** don't you get>out of my way! Can't you see that I am trying to get to the>bathroom?" Etc. So long as consistency is used, most >dogs respond to short commands: Move, Down, Go!>Com! etc. Our youngest child discovered however, >that, when the largest dog was in the way, that>"Beep-Beep! " worked better than "Back!" Hand gestures are>helpful, to go with "Up!" "Down," provided that we humans>do not get too confused. We did learn that we had to be>trained, too:>>1) put all food way up high or in the refrigerator or>freezer; 2) do not leave food wrappers, candy wrappers,>etc. on floor; 3) a desperate dog will even eat fresh fruit>or pry open a can; it pays to have cupboards and high>shelves--with no chairs near them.>>The pathetic look on the family dog's or dogs' faces as >one eats holiday candy is pathetic, but chocolate and>caffeine are supposed to be very bad for dogs, so we >usually kept small dog biscuits around to console them.>>My dogs now live with friends nearby. I always think as I>spill something in the kitchen that the dog will get>it--then it dawns on me--no dog in the apartment! Kind of>sad, when one has lived all one's life with dogs.>>Love,>n, whose mother raised Kerry Blue Terriers for show-->and they are very, very smart!

I saw a vet’s report

on the news the other day that macadamia nuts can cause permanent paralysis.

The report didn’t say how or why…

We had 4 dogs when

the kids were young. The dogs would line up at “sit” position for

orange or tangerine

segments.

The current Pack

don’t like oranges, but they line up for bites of raw carrots or broccoli

while I’m preparing dinner. About the only veggie they won’t eat is bell

pepper!

T

in WY

" You get a wonderful view from the point of no return... "

http://practical-blackwork.blogspot.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liadains_fancies

Re: Dogs and

Christmas and Holidays

mind spasm - raisins and grapes are

bad like chocolate

Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:47:39 -0800 (PST)

>It seems to me--and I am a former dog trainer--

>that short, usually one-word or one-sound consistently

>commands work well with dogs. Dogs just do not under

>stand " Oh, Good Grief, Rover, why the h*** don't you get

>out of my way! Can't you see that I am trying to get to the

>bathroom? " Etc. So long as consistency is used, most

>dogs respond to short commands: Move, Down, Go!

>Com! etc. Our youngest child discovered however,

>that, when the largest dog was in the way, that

> " Beep-Beep! " worked better than " Back! " Hand gestures

are

>helpful, to go with " Up! " " Down, " provided that we

humans

>do not get too confused. We did learn that we had to be

>trained, too:

>

>1) put all food way up high or in the refrigerator or

>freezer; 2) do not leave food wrappers, candy wrappers,

>etc. on floor; 3) a desperate dog will even eat fresh fruit

>or pry open a can; it pays to have cupboards and high

>shelves--with no chairs near them.

>

>The pathetic look on the family dog's or dogs' faces as

>one eats holiday candy is pathetic, but chocolate and

>caffeine are supposed to be very bad for dogs, so we

>usually kept small dog biscuits around to console them.

>

>My dogs now live with friends nearby. I always think as I

>spill something in the kitchen that the dog will get

>it--then it dawns on me--no dog in the apartment! Kind of

>sad, when one has lived all one's life with dogs.

>

>Love,

>n, whose mother raised Kerry Blue Terriers for show--

>and they are very, very smart!

Thank you so much, n! I'll try and remember to give it a go tomorrow!

Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:47 PM

To: MSersLife

Subject: Re: Dogs and Christmas and Holidays

It seems to me--and I am a former dog trainer--that short, usually one-word or one-sound consistentlycommands work well with dogs. Dogs just do not understand "Oh, Good Grief, Rover, why the h*** don't you getout of my way! Can't you see that I am trying to get to thebathroom?" Etc. So long as consistency is used, most dogs respond to short commands: Move, Down, Go!Com! etc. Our youngest child discovered however, that, when the largest dog was in the way, that "Beep-Beep!"worked better than "Back!" Hand gestures are helpful,to go with "Up!" "Down," provided that we humans donot get too confused. We did learn that we had to betrained, too:1) put all food way up high or in the refrigerator or freezer;2) do not leave food wrappers, candy wrappers, etc. on floor;3) a desperate dog will even eat fresh fruit or pry open a can;it pays to have cupboards and high shelves--with no chairsnear them.The pathetic look on the family dog's or dogs' faces as one eats holiday candy is pathetic, but chocolate andcaffeine are supposed to be very bad for dogs, so we usually kept small dog biscuits around to console them.My dogs now live with friends nearby. I always think as Ispill something in the kitchen that the dog will get it--thenit dawns on me--no dog in the apartment! Kind of sad,when one has lived all one's life with dogs.Love,n, whose mother raised Kerry Blue Terriers for show--and they are very, very smart!