RemedySpot.com

Healthy Food and IE

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE process, I

don't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I feel

better when I do. But there's a part of me that feels scared and

guilty. Scared that I'll fall into old, obsessive patterns, and

guilty that I'm not *allowing* other types of food.

The thing is, rationally, I know I'm doing what I need to do, that

part of IE is giving your body what it wants in order to feel good,

and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I really

want them. But the fear and guilt are there, nonetheless.

I'm not cutting out entire groups of food (except the ones I don't

like, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y stuff,

unless it's something I DO like.

Oy. This is the problem with being the product of

Jewish/Irish-Catholic parents; too much guilt, lol!

I loved both books! Intuitive Eating was like the "how to" book for me, but Overcoming Overeating is more like a "why do I" book. I'm reading "When Women Stop Hating Themselves" by Jane Hirschmann, and really like it too!

Keep eatin those chips!

Bonnie

To: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 7:18:07 AMSubject: Re: Healthy Food and IE

Thanks Bonnie for your concern! And don't worry...I'd never hate you! And I'm never giving up on IE either!! I was just throwing some ideas out there. There's gotta be a way to still do IE and eat healthier without feeling deprived.

My problem with chips is that I tend to eat them when I am not hungry in the evening when I sit down to watch tv. I am using chips for more than food. They are comforting me and relaxing me. Yes I do like them but when I am truly hungry I tend not to want them. My mother always had a bowl of chips waiting for us when we got home from school. So it's definitely a comforting thing for me.

Maybe I just need more time working at this. I did diet for a long time. I did Weight Watchers for almost 3 years straight (2002-2005) and the summer of 2006. And I've never had a normal relationship with food that I can remember. I dug out some of my IE books that I haven't looked at in awhile last night. I started reading Overcoming Overeating. I actually bought it in 2006 when I bought Intuitive Eating and have never looked at it. Someone posted about it several weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find it last night!

Don't worry I'm not giving up! And there's got to be a way to make peace with chips! I'll keep looking until I find a way! :)

Kipkabob

(Intuitive eating since September 2006)

From: alyzu1 <alyzucomcast (DOT) net>Subject: [intuitiveEating_ Support] Healthy Food and IETo: IntuitiveEating_ Support@yahoogro ups.comReceived: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM

This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE process, Idon't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I feelbetter when I do. But there's a part of me that feels scared andguilty. Scared that I'll fall into old, obsessive patterns, andguilty that I'm not *allowing* other types of food.The thing is, rationally, I know I'm doing what I need to do, thatpart of IE is giving your body what it wants in order to feel good,and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I reallywant them. But the fear and guilt are there, nonetheless. I'm not cutting out entire groups of food (except the ones I don'tlike, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y stuff,unless it's something I DO like. Oy. This is the problem with being the product ofJewish/Irish- Catholic parents; too much guilt,

lol!

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Hi Bonnie...good to know you like the Overcoming Overeating book! Maybe it was you who posted about it a few weeks ago. I was very happy to find I already have the book!

Wow...I've never had anyone tell me to keep eating chips other than on this board! It's weird to have someone say that! Weird in a good way though! :)

Kipkabob

From: alyzu1 <alyzucomcast (DOT) net>Subject: [intuitiveEating_ Support] Healthy Food and IETo: IntuitiveEating_ Support@yahoogro ups.comReceived: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM

This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE process, Idon't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I feelbetter when I do. But there's a part of me that feels scared andguilty. Scared that I'll fall into old, obsessive patterns, andguilty that I'm not *allowing* other types of food.The thing is, rationally, I know I'm doing what I need to do, thatpart of IE is giving your body what it wants in order to feel good,and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I reallywant them. But the fear and guilt are there, nonetheless. I'm not cutting out entire groups of food (except the ones I don'tlike, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y stuff,unless it's something I DO like. Oy. This is the problem with being the product ofJewish/Irish- Catholic parents; too much guilt,

lol!

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

kipkabob,

i thought i'd share my experience, in case it would be helpful... A few weeks ago, I decided that I was going to commit to eating without doing anything else, whenever possible.

This was so hard because i ADORE curling up with book and a snack, or a bowl of popcorn and a movie. it's like, my most favorite thing to do! but i told myself that i could eat anything i wanted, but i couldn't have it while doing anything else. most of the time, i insist on sitting at the table to eat, as well, if my apartment isn't too freezing.

i found that when i did that i definitely cut out a lot of snacking -- it's just not as fun without that activity (reading or watching tv)! but and just eating, by itself, forced me to pay attention to my hunger & satiety. but i guess i could look at it as " i got to pay attention to savoring every bite. "

one interesting thing about this is that a few days after i started, i got sooooo depressed, and it lasted about two weeks. i think that this was because i just abruptly abolished a major coping mechanism for me. that was really terrible, actually, being that down and sad. i wish i had known to expect it.

it was really tough, but weirdly, once i made the decision/rule, i could never break it, even when i wanted to! it was the strangest feeling. after about 2 weeks, the depression abruptly lifted, and now i feel fine, and the new behavior so much easier than it was -- now if i have the radio on when i start to eat i feel like there's an intruder in the room!

i use my nurturing mom voice -- and say -- ok, you can have anything you want, but you have to come sit at the table for it. and if i cant be bothered to stop reading/watching tv/lying on the couch, i probably wasnt hungry.

i dont know if this would work for you, but i thought i'd share my experience, just in case...

abby

Hi Bonnie...good to know you like the Overcoming Overeating book! Maybe it was you who posted about it a few weeks ago. I was very happy to find I already have the book!

Wow...I've never had anyone tell me to keep eating chips other than on this board! It's weird to have someone say that! Weird in a good way though! :)

Kipkabob

From: alyzu1 <alyzucomcast (DOT) net>Subject: [intuitiveEating_ Support] Healthy Food and IETo: IntuitiveEating_ Support@yahoogro ups.com

Received: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM

This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE process, Idon't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I feelbetter when I do. But there's a part of me that feels scared and

guilty. Scared that I'll fall into old, obsessive patterns, andguilty that I'm not *allowing* other types of food.The thing is, rationally, I know I'm doing what I need to do, thatpart of IE is giving your body what it wants in order to feel good,

and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I reallywant them. But the fear and guilt are there, nonetheless. I'm not cutting out entire groups of food (except the ones I don'tlike, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y stuff,

unless it's something I DO like. Oy. This is the problem with being the product ofJewish/Irish- Catholic parents; too much guilt, lol!

does anyone have any advice for eating mindfully in the midst of a crowd of LOUD relatives and a gigantic, beautiful spread of food?

and while you're at it, how to not get stressed when your mother jokes and says she'd like grandchildren from all three of her kids, but would be happy with me [just] getting a partner, for the time being?

This is my next step! It is very hard for me to eat without grabbinga book or a newspaper. (When I lived in New York, in my early 20's, Ispent most of my time by myself. I would read A LOT while I ate, rode

the subway, sat in my apartment, etc., and never got over that habit.)Thanks Abby!And happy Thanksgiving, everyone!>> kipkabob,> > i thought i'd share my experience, in case it would be helpful... A few> weeks ago, I decided that I was going to commit to eating without doing

> anything else, whenever possible.> > This was so hard because i ADORE curling up with book and a snack,or a bowl> of popcorn and a movie. it's like, my most favorite thing to do! buti told

> myself that i could eat anything i wanted, but i couldn't have it while> doing anything else. most of the time, i insist on sitting at thetable to> eat, as well, if my apartment isn't too freezing.

> > i found that when i did that i definitely cut out a lot of snacking-- it's> just not as fun without that activity (reading or watching tv)! butand just> eating, by itself, forced me to pay attention to my hunger &

satiety. but i> guess i could look at it as " i got to pay attention to savoringevery bite. " > > > one interesting thing about this is that a few days after i started,i got> sooooo depressed, and it lasted about two weeks. i think that this was

> because i just abruptly abolished a major coping mechanism for me.that was> really terrible, actually, being that down and sad. i wish i hadknown to> expect it.> > it was really tough, but weirdly, once i made the decision/rule, i could

> never break it, even when i wanted to! it was the strangest feeling.after> about 2 weeks, the depression abruptly lifted, and now i feel fine,and the> new behavior so much easier than it was -- now if i have the radio

on when i> start to eat i feel like there's an intruder in the room!> > i use my nurturing mom voice -- and say -- ok, you can have anything you> want, but you have to come sit at the table for it. and if i cant be

> bothered to stop reading/watching tv/lying on the couch, i probablywasnt> hungry.> > i dont know if this would work for you, but i thought i'd share my> experience, just in case...

> > abby

-- Abigail C. Wolfson, CPNP

LICH School Based Health CenterBNS/BCS610 Henry Street, Room 209Brooklyn, NY 11231 (fax)