RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Permission to Overeat?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

For me, since IE, overeating is a choice. Yes, sometimes I give myself permission to overeat. If I go to a fancy restaurant and the food is good, or if I just can`t find another way to cope with my emotions - I still have a lot of work to do in this area- I deliberatly overeat. I do not juge myself, I think this is quite o.k. once in a while.

Binging is not a choice, it is a compulsion to eat until I totally zone out. For me it used to happened with alcohol. I haven`t drink like that since a long time...and certainly not right now, I don`t drink at all because I am pregnant.

Nat

Subject: Re: Permission to Overeat?To: IntuitiveEating_Support Received: Friday, November 28, 2008, 10:46 PM

Oh I think about this all the time! After I started thinking about it it was not very difficult for me to seperate overeating vs. binging. For me, binging is usually done in private. Underlying emotions are guilt, shame and exhileration. But while I am planning to binge and then while I am binging the dominant emotion is happiness. There is a sense of needing to binge, and relief as well as exhileration as I am binging. I also feel rebellous. Like screw you "x" person I am eating and doing what I want anyways! ; ) But afterwards there is always guilt and shame. I never look at the food I am eating to tell me if I am binging. Interestingly I would not say these binges would qualify as what clinicians would classify as binging or even overeating. Usually it involves eating a "taboo" food like a bag of chips. I am still working on being an IE but I have definitely

noticed that it has helped me with my tendency to binge. When I allow myself to eat what I want and then when I want I don't hide any shame, guilt or anger to let loose later in a binge. good luck!

Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Katcha wrote:

> I think you could be onto something - overeating can be even just a

> single bite too much, while bingeing is like this unstoppable drive to

> EAT, usually directed towards 'forbidden' foods.

Then maybe it was a binge. But then again I ask myself: my make the

difference? Is it important? I ate too much. Period.

> Perhaps its the

> 'forbidden foods' that is your biggest challenge?

I don't feel it was that alone. At the moment I feel this anxiety again

(and more things). Yes, I could have overeaten on carrots or apples

(haha) but of course I chose " nasty " food.

> I know I still fight

> the 'guilts' over candy and snacking in evenings while watching TV.

> But that's more like overeating than mad binge.

Yes, in my definition that would be overeating (and I have to struggle

with that guilt as well; all these years listening to this " you MUST eat

only WITHOUT DISTRACTION " didn't help with that I guess).

Regards

s.