RemedySpot.com

Re: Hi - I'm new - my story

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks Abby! Okay, here are 2 tips

....an approach I am really trying to focus on right now, is stopping when the food starts to "lose it's magic". This translates into tiny portions of really delicious and sometimes "fattening" foods. The first 2 bites of any dessert are usually the best...and this is true of most foods.

For example, the other night I made scallops with a buttery sauce (fantastic recipe off epicurious) but they were so rich, that by the 3rd scallop, I felt the "magic was starting to fade". The third was still delicious, but not like the first 2 scallops. So I ended up eating only 2 and a half scallops (with the very rich sauce) and about 5 bites of risotto. I decided to end my meal and wait to get hungry again so I could eat something else fabulous. About ten o'clock that night, I got hungry again, but did not feel in the mood for anything rich or salty and the only thing that appealed to me was half a granny smith apple.

The other strategy I use is this: when I am physically hungry and sitting down to eat, I sometimes feel like I could eat that item endlessly. I think, how am I going to control myself?? But several bites into it, I ask myself, what would it feel like to have to eat a huge platter of this? If my reaction is "that would be awesome!" I know I am still hungry. If my reaction is a feeling of queasiness at the thought, I stop eating, because probably I have had enough to satisfy and I don't want to cross into that area of "yuck, I ate too much".

Works for me...but might sound completely crazy to others ; )

-j

Inspiring story, ! Thanks for sharing. And glad you are already feeling better! If you have any tips for success -- you seem to have had great success with the process -- I would be very interested in hearing them.

abby

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:21 PM, <eidwriteraol> wrote:

Welcome so glad to have you with us and thank you for sharing your story. Eva

In a message dated 11/25/2008 5:06:33 P.M. Central Standard Time, jsscarneyaol writes:

Hi Everyone,

I just joined this group and have enjoyed reading today's posts. I read Intuitive Eating in 1998 and lost around 70 lbs. I exercised moderately, believe it or not, I did Body Flex (yes, the one from the infomercials) and was thrilled with the results. I ate anything I wanted and was not tempted by any foods. I literally felt like I had discovered the holy grail of weight loss.

I maintained the weight loss for 7 years or so, give or take a few pounds, but then gained over 45 lbs during my first pregnancy and never lost more than about 20 after the birth. So this new weight gain, combined with a completely NEW life as a mom, not to mention the sleep deprivation, really threw me off course. After a while, I started losing again but then went back to work. Again, STRESS, triggered mindless eating and also comfort eating. 4 months ago, baby #2 came along and recently went to the doctor and realized I had gained like a pound a week since his birth!!! I also was completely abusing caffeine to try to keep up with my preschooler and a new baby (minus sleep).

So in a panic, I got back into the Diet Mentality and went to Costco and stocked up on their version of Slim Fast. It worked for a while, but then I started bingeing. I really hated the way I felt and was dreading my next doctor visit. I did not want to get lectured about my weight...but who can blame the doctor...my weight really stared to get unhealthy.

So last week I meditated, prayed and reviewed a bunch of intuitive eating materials/websites and decided it was the ONLY way I would be able to enjoy my life, eat good food and not JUDGE myself every second of the day. Something clicked and for the past 6 days I've been completely back into the IE mode. I feel like a new person. My clothes are already looser, my face is thinner, but best of all I am not hungry all the time and I eat amazing food. Really great stuff. My husband is thrilled that I am cooking again and not sucking down slim fast all day. All the things I learned in the past about IE are coming back to me. I started running (with jogging stroller, of course) again, just for the sheer PLEASURE of it and did not beat myself up if I only did 25 min instead of 30.

So that is where I am now and could really use the support. I have a lot of good tips, from my past years of successfully using IE, but I've also faced the pitfalls. I am most nervous about going back to work after the holidays when maternity leave is over...I am worried the stress will cause me to numb-out with food again and I want so much to continue my current quality of life. Thanks for reading such a long post. It feels good to get this all out!

One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!

One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!

thank you, julie!

i have been trying to figure out when food starts to taste less good... no luck so far but you have encouraged me to keep trying!

abby

Thanks Abby! Okay, here are 2 tips

....an approach I am really trying to focus on right now, is stopping when the food starts to " lose it's magic " . This translates into tiny portions of really delicious and sometimes " fattening " foods. The first 2 bites of any dessert are usually the best...and this is true of most foods.

For example, the other night I made scallops with a buttery sauce (fantastic recipe off epicurious) but they were so rich, that by the 3rd scallop, I felt the " magic was starting to fade " . The third was still delicious, but not like the first 2 scallops. So I ended up eating only 2 and a half scallops (with the very rich sauce) and about 5 bites of risotto. I decided to end my meal and wait to get hungry again so I could eat something else fabulous. About ten o'clock that night, I got hungry again, but did not feel in the mood for anything rich or salty and the only thing that appealed to me was half a granny smith apple.

The other strategy I use is this: when I am physically hungry and sitting down to eat, I sometimes feel like I could eat that item endlessly. I think, how am I going to control myself?? But several bites into it, I ask myself, what would it feel like to have to eat a huge platter of this? If my reaction is " that would be awesome! " I know I am still hungry. If my reaction is a feeling of queasiness at the thought, I stop eating, because probably I have had enough to satisfy and I don't want to cross into that area of " yuck, I ate too much " .

Works for me...but might sound completely crazy to others ; )

-j

Inspiring story, ! Thanks for sharing. And glad you are already feeling better! If you have any tips for success -- you seem to have had great success with the process -- I would be very interested in hearing them.

abby

Welcome so glad to have you with us and thank you for sharing your story. Eva

Hi Everyone,

I just joined this group and have enjoyed reading today's posts. I read Intuitive Eating in 1998 and lost around 70 lbs. I exercised moderately, believe it or not, I did Body Flex (yes, the one from the infomercials) and was thrilled with the results. I ate anything I wanted and was not tempted by any foods. I literally felt like I had discovered the holy grail of weight loss.

I maintained the weight loss for 7 years or so, give or take a few pounds, but then gained over 45 lbs during my first pregnancy and never lost more than about 20 after the birth. So this new weight gain, combined with a completely NEW life as a mom, not to mention the sleep deprivation, really threw me off course. After a while, I started losing again but then went back to work. Again, STRESS, triggered mindless eating and also comfort eating. 4 months ago, baby #2 came along and recently went to the doctor and realized I had gained like a pound a week since his birth!!! I also was completely abusing caffeine to try to keep up with my preschooler and a new baby (minus sleep).

So in a panic, I got back into the Diet Mentality and went to Costco and stocked up on their version of Slim Fast. It worked for a while, but then I started bingeing. I really hated the way I felt and was dreading my next doctor visit. I did not want to get lectured about my weight...but who can blame the doctor...my weight really stared to get unhealthy.

So last week I meditated, prayed and reviewed a bunch of intuitive eating materials/websites and decided it was the ONLY way I would be able to enjoy my life, eat good food and not JUDGE myself every second of the day. Something clicked and for the past 6 days I've been completely back into the IE mode. I feel like a new person. My clothes are already looser, my face is thinner, but best of all I am not hungry all the time and I eat amazing food. Really great stuff. My husband is thrilled that I am cooking again and not sucking down slim fast all day. All the things I learned in the past about IE are coming back to me. I started running (with jogging stroller, of course) again, just for the sheer PLEASURE of it and did not beat myself up if I only did 25 min instead of 30.

So that is where I am now and could really use the support. I have a lot of good tips, from my past years of successfully using IE, but I've also faced the pitfalls. I am most nervous about going back to work after the holidays when maternity leave is over...I am worried the stress will cause me to numb-out with food again and I want so much to continue my current quality of life. Thanks for reading such a long post. It feels good to get this all out!

Another thing that jsscarney's post highlights is how IE is always

'there' for you - you don't 'fail' or 'loose' it, you just pick up and

go forth as you can.

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

> >

> > Hi Everyone,

> >

> > I just joined this group and have enjoyed reading today's posts.

> I read

> > Intuitive Eating in 1998 and lost around 70 lbs. I exercised

> moderately,

> > believe it or not, I did Body Flex (yes, the one from the

> infomercials) and was

> > thrilled with the results. I ate anything I wanted and was not

> tempted by any

> > foods. I literally felt like I had discovered the holy grail of

> weight loss.

> >

> > I maintained the weight loss for 7 years or so, give or take a few

> pounds,

> > but then gained over 45 lbs during my first pregnancy and never

> lost more than

> > about 20 after the birth. So this new weight gain, combined with

> a

> > completely NEW life as a mom, not to mention the sleep deprivation,

> really threw me

> > off course. After a while, I started losing again but then went

> back to work.

> > Again, STRESS, triggered mindless eating and also comfort

> eating. 4 months

> > ago, baby #2 came along and recently went to the doctor and

> realized I had

> > gained like a pound a week since his birth!!! I also was

> completely abusing

> > caffeine to try to keep up with my preschooler and a new baby

> (minus sleep).

> >

> > So in a panic, I got back into the Diet Mentality and went to

> Costco and

> > stocked up on their version of Slim Fast. It worked for a while,

> but then I

> > started bingeing. I really hated the way I felt and was dreading

> my next doctor

> > visit. I did not want to get lectured about my weight...but who

> can blame

> > the doctor...my weight really stared to get unhealthy.

> >

> > So last week I meditated, prayed and reviewed a bunch of intuitive

> eating

> > materials/websites and decided it was the ONLY way I would be able

> to enjoy my

> > life, eat good food and not JUDGE myself every second of the day.

> Something

> > clicked and for the past 6 days I've been completely back into the

> IE mode.

> > I feel like a new person. My clothes are already looser, my face

> is thinner,

> > but best of all I am not hungry all the time and I eat amazing

> food. Really

> > great stuff. My husband is thrilled that I am cooking again and

> not sucking

> > down slim fast all day. All the things I learned in the past

> about IE are

> > coming back to me. I started running (with jogging stroller, of

> course)

> > again, just for the sheer PLEASURE of it and did not beat myself

> up if I only did

> > 25 min instead of 30.

> >

> > So that is where I am now and could really use the support. I have

> a lot of

> > good tips, from my past years of successfully using IE, but I've

> also faced

> > the pitfalls. I am most nervous about going back to work after

> the holidays

> > when maternity leave is over...I am worried the stress will cause

> me to

> > numb-out with food again and I want so much to continue my current

> quality of

> > life. Thanks for reading such a long post. It feels good to get

> this all out!

> >

> >

> > **************One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social

> networks,

> > and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com

> > today!

> (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212962939x1200825291/aol?

> redir=http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp

> > %26icid=aolcom40vanity%26ncid=emlcntaolcom00000001)

> >

>