RemedySpot.com

Re: Need help coming up with some recipes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

helen, I doubt that. I believe you just don't eat properly . You may need beans, nuts and legumes and more dairy protein since you don't eat meat. You may need a multivitamin if you don't already take one. You may need to eat at regular intervals. You ay have an iron deficiency because f the vegetarian diet. Food Sources of HistamineHistamine occurs in food as a result of microbial enzymes converting the amino acid histidine (present in all proteins) to histamine. All foods subjected to microbial fermentation in the manufacturing process contain histamine. Included in this category are cheeses, fermented soy products, other fermented foods (e.g. sauerkraut), alcoholic beverages, and vinegars.Foods exposed to microbial contamination also contain histamine in levels determined by the extent and rate of action of the microbes. Histamine levels reach a reactive level long before any signs of spoilage occur in the food. This characteristic has important implications in fin fish, where bacteria in the gut are particularly active in converting histidine to histamine. The longer the fish remains ungutted, the higher the levels of histamine in the flesh.Some foods such as eggplant and spinach contain high levels of histamine naturally. In addition, a number of food additives such as azo dyes and preservatives mediate the release of histamine.Some of these chemicals such as benzoates occur naturally in foods, especially fruits, and may have the same effect as the food additive in releasing histamine.The histamine restricted diet excludes all foods known to contain high levels of histamine or to contain chemicals that can promote the physiological release of histamine.The foods most commonly reported to induce urticaria are shellfish, fish, egg, nuts, chocolate, berries, tomatoes, cheese, milk, and wheat.Foods reported to release histamine directly from mast cells are uncooked egg whites, shellfish, strawberries, tomatoes, fish, chocolate, pineapple and alcohol.Foods containing histamine—Aged protein containing foods and fermented foods commonly have increased histamine levels.Foods reported to be high in histamine are fermented cheeses (e.g. Camembert, Brie, Gruyere, Cheddar, Roquefort, Parmesan), brewer's yeast, shellfish, many fin fish, canned fish, tomato, spinach, red wine (especially Chianti), beer, unpasteurized milk (e.g., cow, goat or human milk), chicken, dry pork sausage, beef sausage, ham, chocolate, fermented soy products, and all fermented vegetables, such as sauerkraut. I'm beginning to strongly suspect that I am histadelic (have chronically high histamine levels) and am looking into testing.  In the mean time I'd like to try eliminating foods that naturally contain histadine/histamine.    My brain is pretty foggy right now, so I'm looking for some help coming up with a few recipes that I can use that are SCD compliant and also eliminate those foods on the histamine/histadine list.  This may be hard because the recommended diet for histadelia is low protein high complex carb, which won't work for SCD.Anyway, here's the list of histmamine/histadine containing foods (or many of them anyway):fishred meats (I'm assuming grain fed only, as they would build up a lot of histamine from eating the corn that they eat; grass fed shouldn't have that kind of inflammation)most meats to some degreedried legumes (I think)all nuts (not sure about cashews, gotta look that up)cheeseyogurteggplanttomatoesspinachdrk leafy greensanything fermenteddried fruits(left overs with the above have higher levels than the original unless frozen (bacterial process converting the histadine to histamine))I know I can't cut out all the meat, nor do I think it's healthy to, but I need to greatly cut back the amount I eat and concentrate more on the veggies and fruits that don't fit the above list, and when I do use meat, use mostly chicken and grass-fed beef.I may have a couple more to add to the list as I find them.I'm bummed too, as I love pretty much all on the list, especially the yogurt.  I felt really great, no awesome, on the yogurt for a few days, but then started feeling crappy again, and knew it wasn't die off....joint pain, colon pain, increasing obsessiveness).Thank you all so much!ShondaSCD 6 months

Hi Shonda,I don't know much about Histadelia, but yesterday my doctor started me on a medication designed to stabilize the mast cells in the gut, which he believes are responsible for producing too much histamine and thus inflaming my GI Tract (the entire GI tract is lined with mast cells.) The medication is Gastrocrom. The condition is called "Mastocytosis." You can read more about both if you are interested - the histamine connection is there. I am not yet sure if histamine is at the base of all my GI difficulties.Are you being followed/treated for high histamine levels? Do you carry with you an epinephrine pen and antihistamine medications? It sounds like something that you should be getting professional medical follow-up

for. In terms of foods to stay away from, again I unfortunately don't know much, but I do know that red wine is a no-no. It's a histamine trigger.The version of SCD that you propose - fruits and veggies, plus grass-fed meats - sounds very healthy. Just make sure to add legal probiotics if you cannot use yogurt.I wish you luck getting to the bottom of this.Best, Nina in MA----- Original Message ----

I'm beginning to strongly suspect that I am histadelic (have

chronically high histamine levels) and am looking into testing. In

the mean time I'd like to try eliminating foods that naturally

contain histadine/histamine . My brain is pretty foggy right now,

so I'm looking for some help coming up with a few recipes that I can

use that are SCD compliant and also eliminate those foods on the

histamine/histadine list. This may be hard because the recommended

diet for histadelia is low protein high complex carb, which won't

work for SCD.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.