RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Weighing in

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Amy,

I, too, have decided not to weigh myself anymore.

Like you, I don't have a lot to lose... I would guess somewhere between 10 and 20 pounds... but I've decided that I don't want a random number to define what my weight " should " be. if i am working out more, i may be heavier and/or bulkier than if i am inactive (and i like to be active, and would like to be more muscular).

so i've decided to go by how my body looks to me. i'd like to have all my clothes fit, as well. beyond that, i dont care what the number is. i may weigh myself if i someday reach a size that feels good, just out of curiosity, to know what my " ideal " weight is. but if i think it will stress me out, i'll skip it.

like the others say, i dont want the scale to dictate the quality of my day. and they totally did. having less to lose may mean that we lose more slowly, and i am feeling really good about trying to eat only when i am hungry, and i dont want to derail myself. stepping on the scale and not seeing the numbers move the way i want them to is too discouraging!

you will know what is happening with your body by feeling it and looking at it. the scale is less accurate, to me. trust yourself -- you'll know!

abby

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Intuitive.Eater. In.Training wrote:

I agree with you all!

When I began IE a few months ago, the first thing I did was throw away all of my diet books (there were a bunch), my weight watchers points calculators (so I wouldn't be tempted to go back on that diet), and took the batteries out of my scale and put the scale in the closet. I can't weigh myself because to me, IE isn't about losing weight, in fact, " Intuitive Eating " by Tribole and " Overcoming Overeating " by Jane Hirschmann both say that there is a good chance you will gain weight at first because you are freeing yourself to eat many of your " bad foods. " I know that IE is the only healthy lifestyle, and I am positive that dieting is never going to help me. If I stepped on the scale now, I may weigh more than when I started, and then the scale would just make me question my beliefs. I am working on being happy with the weight I am at right now. Reminding myself that in the long run, the more emotionally healthy I become with food, the more likely I am to lose weight.

:)

Bonnie

To: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:19:36 AM

Subject: Re: Re: Weighing in

At some point, I put my scale in the garbage. I was too obsessed with it. The more I obsessed over my weight, the more i overate. I now only weight myself at my mother or mother's in law, which is about once a month. It worked for me.

My weight went down when I stopped obsessing and focus on well being and pleasure of eating.

Take care,

nat

From: normaaaaaaaa <kaylinmorrissey@ gmail.com>Subject: [intuitiveEating_ Support] Re: Weighing inTo: IntuitiveEating_ Support@yahoogro ups.com

Received: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 10:06 AM

Ditto to what Amy wrote! : ) I easily twist weighing myself into an obsessive action. There was a period of time when my mood was dictated by the number on the scale. I would weigh myself daily.

This was also the same time when I had unhealthy weight goals for myself. I was fixated on being 110 pounds (and I am 5 feet 6 inches). I wanted to be superthin rather than looking and feeling healthy.

Finally I realized how unhealthy it was to weigh myself daily and spend several times a day obsessing over the number. So I quite weighing myself. Years later I have returned to weighing myself from time to time. But

I only weigh myself when I become curious (in a positive way). This is about every 1 - 2 months. And I only put mild consideration into the number. Now - a - days I try to focus more on how I feel and look in my clothes.

In my opinion, I would go a period of time without weighing yourself. I think for many people it becomes another mechanism to control our lives and further the negative self - talk. - K >> Sally,> > I'm sure you'll find a wide array of answers on the weighing in topic. But for me. I can't weight in any more. My story is very

different from yours, in the sense that I have a great deal of weight to lose, but for me the scale is an unhealty fixation that I have. There was a point in my life when the scale was all that defined me. If the number was low then I was a " good " person. If the number was

high then I was a " bad " person. > > Along my IE journey I've realized something. The number on the scale is just one number that defines me. Just one. Just like my IQ, or my ring size, or my favorite color. It's a part of me, but

it's not the whole me. It doesn't DEFINE me. > > I think that's what's so important to remember about this journey. This journey isn't just about losing the weight. At least it isn't

for me. It's about defining my relationship with myself, and food. And if that happens and I still weight more than what I thought was my " ideal " weight, then okay. I'm okay with that. I'm not gonna

continue to beat myself up for the rest of my life anymore over one number.> > I'm sorry if this sounds a bit preachy... it's just my take. But the scale was my demon and I had to get rid of it. I battled it for

a long time in the beginning on IE. I tried to keep it as part of my IE journey and every time I stepped back on it I was immediately back into diet mode, and spending days if not weeks recovering from binge

after angry binge. I did more damage with those binges than I did if I had just put the scale away and focused on how I was feeling. And finally, that's exactly what I did. > > That's not to say that I don't know what I weight. I go to the

doctors every two to three months. I always get weighed, and depending on how I am doing in my journey I ask for the number. > > But as I said, my story is much different than yours, so perhaps someone closer to your weight loss situation will be able to offer

insight that will help you.> > Amy>

Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger