RemedySpot.com

Re: Healthy Food and IE

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've been thinking a lot lately about how "eating healthy" and IE go together. Since starting IE, I have basically eaten junk for the past 2 years. Now I know there is no junk food in IE but it's food that really doesn't have much nutritional value. It's just so much easier to get home from work and throw some french fries in the oven than it is to prepare a salad for example. I maybe eat 2 fruits and veggies a day and somedays none. Oh and I've basically feel like crap all the time. I have no energy and don't feel like doing anything. And I've eaten so much salt in the past years I'm probably half pickled by now! I'd like to eat better....so I feel better. But I also don't want to feel deprived.

I have been debating ways of going about this. One idea I had was skipping the "junk" aisle at the grocery store. Just not buying the crap to begin with. I did this years ago...I went probably 6 months without eating any potato chips. After the first few weeks I didn't even miss them. I'm just scared that I'll feel deprived. But I've just been using IE as the rationalization to eat whatever I want all the time. Something needs to change.

Kipkabob

(Intuitive eating since September 2006)

Subject: Healthy Food and IETo: IntuitiveEating_Support Received: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM

This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE process, Idon't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I feelbetter when I do. But there's a part of me that feels scared andguilty. Scared that I'll fall into old, obsessive patterns, andguilty that I'm not *allowing* other types of food.The thing is, rationally, I know I'm doing what I need to do, thatpart of IE is giving your body what it wants in order to feel good,and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I reallywant them. But the fear and guilt are there, nonetheless. I'm not cutting out entire groups of food (except the ones I don'tlike, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y stuff,unless it's something I DO like. Oy. This is the problem with being the product ofJewish/Irish- Catholic parents; too much guilt,

lol!

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

You know, as I think about it, by allowing myself to eat what I want

when I want it, I've craved bad foods a lot less. Chips are much

less appealing to me (even SunChips, which I didn't used to keep

around the house because I couldn't stop eating them). I think it's

because when I first started IE, I went to the store with a huge

cracker/chip craving and bought a ton. And now that I see chips

everywhere and know that I can have them, I don't want any (go

figure). There are things that I would have dived into before that

are too rich for me now. Even chocolate is much less appealing.

Granted, I'm still craving PopTarts and ice cream. However, overall

I am starting to make healthier decisions about food, but because I

WANT to, not because I am forcing myself.

I even had an apple today! And I went out to eat and skipped the

bread... I simply did not want any!

Don't deny yourself, and eventually the cravings for foods with less

nutritional value will go away. If you trust your body, you should

find that your body craves nutrition!

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

<3-----

>

> From: alyzu1 <alyzucomcast (DOT) net>

> Subject: [intuitiveEating_ Support] Healthy Food and IE

> To: IntuitiveEating_ Support@yahoogro ups.com

> Received: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM

>

>

> This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE

process, I

> don't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I

feel

> better when I do. But there's a part of me that feels scared and

> guilty. Scared that I'll fall into old, obsessive patterns, and

> guilty that I'm not *allowing* other types of food.

> The thing is, rationally, I know I'm doing what I need to do, that

> part of IE is giving your body what it wants in order to feel good,

> and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I

really

> want them. But the fear and guilt are there, nonetheless.

> I'm not cutting out entire groups of food (except the ones I don't

> like, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y

stuff,

> unless it's something I DO like.

> Oy. This is the problem with being the product of

> Jewish/Irish- Catholic parents; too much guilt, lol!

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk

email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

>

Transitioning from suppressing and fearing your hunger/craving cues to

embracing them is really scary. And it is very tempting to build those

walls back up.

It is alot easier to ignore the issues than address them head on. I

still struggle with this.

And it is even harder to go through this process with critical eyes

looking on. I can definitely relate to the guilt - tripping. ; )

I can only speak from my personal experience... But I know it has (and

still is)a scary process but I am a million times happier living

without constantly fearing food and shaming my body.

Goodluck!

K

>

> This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE process, I

> don't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I feel

> and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I really

> like, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y stuff,

> Jewish/Irish-Catholic parents; too much guilt, lol!

>

Kip, I wonder if you can try and get a sense of what you really want

to eat (fruit/meat/veggies/starch/etc.) and see if you can have at

least one or two of those 'easily' available so that its a choice

between 'conveinence' foods when you hungry? I know that is also a

downfall of mine - when I'm HUNGRY, whatever is quickest and 'tasty'

grabs and holds my attention. If I don't have Cheezits available, a

slice of cheddar cheese and an apple will get eaten as happily.

I know Gillian talks about thinking how one wants to feel AFTER

something like Thanksgiving dinner (not being more stuffed than the

bird!), but maybe in your case - this could be something to help you

before you reach for the easiest nibble in the kitchen?

BEST wishes and hope to hear what you figure out too :)

ehugs, Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> I've been thinking a lot lately about how " eating healthy " and IE go

together.  Since starting IE, I have basically eaten junk for the past

2 years.  Now I know there is no junk food in IE but it's food that

really doesn't have much nutritional value.  It's just so much easier

to get home from work and throw some french fries in the oven than it

is to prepare a salad for example.  I maybe eat 2 fruits and veggies a

day and somedays none.  Oh and I've basically feel like crap all the

time.  I have no energy and don't feel like doing anything.  And I've

eaten so much salt in the past years I'm probably half pickled by

now!  I'd like to eat better....so I feel better.  But I also don't

want to feel deprived. 

>  

> I have been debating ways of going about this.  One idea I had was

skipping the " junk " aisle at the grocery store.  Just not buying the

crap to begin with.  I did this years ago...I went probably 6 months

without eating any potato chips.  After the first few weeks I didn't

even miss them.  I'm just scared that I'll feel deprived. But I've

just been using IE as the rationalization to eat whatever I want all

the time.  Something needs to change.

>

> Kipkabob

> (Intuitive eating since September 2006)

Hi Kip,

This sounds like a case of black and white thinking, something I

struggle with all the time.

You say you want to eat healthy so you will feel better, but you are

afraid you will feel deprived. I'll bet you are afraid of feeling

deprived because you are seeing it as a choice between eating healthy

or NOT eating healthy.

Perhaps you can ease your way into healthy eating, while you continue

to keep " fun food " around to remind yourself that you CAN still have

it when you want to. And if you feel like a handful of chips, have

the chips. If you don't have the chips around, and you deny yourself

the chips, at some point you probably WILL feel deprived, and might

even have a chip binge!

I have been working on this myself.I have had to back way off the

sugar because I was eating so much of it, I started to develop some

health problems. It has been a bit of a challenge not to slip into

diet mentality, but so far, Intuitive Eating has given me the tools

to avoid it. Today I was craving chocolate. The food police in my

head kept saying, " No! You are not supposed to eat that now,

remember? " But the Intuitive Eater said, " Have a small piece of

chocolate. Enjoy it. Feel the satisfaction. " And I did. I had 2 small

pieces of chocolate. My body was happy, I was happy. Had I not done

that, I might have lasted another day or two, and then I would have

gone " nuts " and probably eaten the whole box!

So I think it IS possible to eat healthy in an intuitive manner and

not feel deprived, but you just have to keep the principles in mind

at all times and not slip into diet mentality or black and white

thinking. Easier said than done, I know! :-)

B.

>

>

> Subject: Healthy Food and IE

> To: IntuitiveEating_Support

> Received: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

> This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE

process, I

> don't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I

feel

> and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I

really

> like, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y

stuff,

> Jewish/Irish- Catholic parents; too much guilt, lol!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required.

Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at

http://ca.messenger..yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

>

Kip I had the same problem when I first started IE I was feeling guilty because all I seemed to want was healthy food I felt I was not sticking to the principles but then someone on the list told me something that made sense and which I still tell myself when I start feeling guilty. " If I like it it isn't healthy." with those words IE finally clicked in my head IE is about eating foods that you like and enjoy eating and noit forcing yourself to eat something you don't like just because media or the food police tell you to eat it. I was always a picky eater but since IE I have become more picky which can be frustrating when I am hungry and can't decide what I want to eat. Eva

Hi Kip,This sounds like a case of black and white thinking, something I struggle with all the time. You say you want to eat healthy so you will feel better, but you are afraid you will feel deprived. I'll bet you are afraid of feeling deprived because you are seeing it as a choice between eating healthy or NOT eating healthy. Perhaps you can ease your way into healthy eating, while you continue to keep "fun food" around to remind yourself that you CAN still have it when you want to. And if you feel like a handful of chips, have the chips. If you don't have the chips around, and you deny yourself the chips, at some point you probably WILL feel deprived, and might even have a chip binge!I have been working on this myself.I have had to back way off the sugar because I was eating so much of it, I started to develop some health problems. It has been a bit of a challenge not to slip into diet mentality, but so far, Intuitive Eating has given me the tools to avoid it. Today I was craving chocolate. The food police in my head kept saying, "No! You are not supposed to eat that now, remember?" But the Intuitive Eater said, "Have a small piece of chocolate. Enjoy it. Feel the satisfaction." And I did. I had 2 small pieces of chocolate. My body was happy, I was happy. Had I not done that, I might have lasted another day or two, and then I would have gone "nuts" and probably eaten the whole box!So I think it IS possible to eat healthy in an intuitive manner and not feel deprived, but you just have to keep the principles in mind at all times and not slip into diet mentality or black and white thinking. Easier said than done, I know! :-) B.> > > Subject: Healthy Food and IE> To: IntuitiveEating_Support > Received: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM> > > > > > > This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE process, I> don't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I feel> better when I do. But there's a part of me that feels scared and> guilty. Scared that I'll fall into old, obsessive patterns, and> guilty that I'm not *allowing* other types of food.> The thing is, rationally, I know I'm doing what I need to do, that> part of IE is giving your body what it wants in order to feel good,> and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I really> want them. But the fear and guilt are there, nonetheless. > I'm not cutting out entire groups of food (except the ones I don't> like, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y stuff,> unless it's something I DO like. > Oy. This is the problem with being the product of> Jewish/Irish- Catholic parents; too much guilt, lol!> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________________________> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger..yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php>------------------------------------

Thanks Bonnie for your concern! And don't worry...I'd never hate you! And I'm never giving up on IE either!! I was just throwing some ideas out there. There's gotta be a way to still do IE and eat healthier without feeling deprived.

My problem with chips is that I tend to eat them when I am not hungry in the evening when I sit down to watch tv. I am using chips for more than food. They are comforting me and relaxing me. Yes I do like them but when I am truly hungry I tend not to want them. My mother always had a bowl of chips waiting for us when we got home from school. So it's definitely a comforting thing for me.

Maybe I just need more time working at this. I did diet for a long time. I did Weight Watchers for almost 3 years straight (2002-2005) and the summer of 2006. And I've never had a normal relationship with food that I can remember. I dug out some of my IE books that I haven't looked at in awhile last night. I started reading Overcoming Overeating. I actually bought it in 2006 when I bought Intuitive Eating and have never looked at it. Someone posted about it several weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find it last night!

Don't worry I'm not giving up! And there's got to be a way to make peace with chips! I'll keep looking until I find a way! :)

Kipkabob

From: alyzu1 <alyzucomcast (DOT) net>Subject: [intuitiveEating_ Support] Healthy Food and IETo: IntuitiveEating_ Support@yahoogro ups.comReceived: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM

This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE process, Idon't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I feelbetter when I do. But there's a part of me that feels scared andguilty. Scared that I'll fall into old, obsessive patterns, andguilty that I'm not *allowing* other types of food.The thing is, rationally, I know I'm doing what I need to do, thatpart of IE is giving your body what it wants in order to feel good,and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I reallywant them. But the fear and guilt are there, nonetheless. I'm not cutting out entire groups of food (except the ones I don'tlike, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y stuff,unless it's something I DO like. Oy. This is the problem with being the product ofJewish/Irish- Catholic parents; too much guilt,

lol!

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Thanks !

Kipkabob

Subject: Re: Healthy Food and IETo: IntuitiveEating_Support Received: Sunday, November 23, 2008, 10:16 PM

You know, as I think about it, by allowing myself to eat what I want when I want it, I've craved bad foods a lot less. Chips are much less appealing to me (even SunChips, which I didn't used to keep around the house because I couldn't stop eating them). I think it's because when I first started IE, I went to the store with a huge cracker/chip craving and bought a ton. And now that I see chips everywhere and know that I can have them, I don't want any (go figure). There are things that I would have dived into before that are too rich for me now. Even chocolate is much less appealing.Granted, I'm still craving PopTarts and ice cream. However, overall I am starting to make healthier decisions about food, but because I WANT to, not because I am forcing myself.I even had an apple today! And I went out to eat and skipped the bread... I simply did not want any!Don't deny yourself, and eventually the

cravings for foods with less nutritional value will go away. If you trust your body, you should find that your body craves nutrition!That's what I'm hoping anyway.<3-----> > From: alyzu1 <alyzucomcast (DOT) net>> Subject: [intuitiveEating_ Support] Healthy Food and IE> To: IntuitiveEating_ Support@yahoogro ups.com> Received: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM> > > This may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE process, I> don't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I feel> better when I do. But there's a part of me that feels scared and> guilty. Scared that I'll fall into old, obsessive patterns, and> guilty that I'm not *allowing* other types of food.> The thing is, rationally, I know I'm doing what I need to do, that> part of IE is giving your body what it wants in order to feel good,> and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what

have you if I really> want them. But the fear and guilt are there, nonetheless. > I'm not cutting out entire groups of food (except the ones I don't> like, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y stuff,> unless it's something I DO like. > Oy. This is the problem with being the product of> Jewish/Irish- Catholic parents; too much guilt, lol!> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail>

Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Katcha- that was my reasoning in suggesting not buying chips. If the chips aren't there and I am hungry, I will choose something else to eat. It's when the chips aren't there, I'm not hungry but I want them to comfort/relax me...that's when I get into trouble. I feel deprived...not of food but of comfort. And then I end up eating lots of something else to take away those feelings. I can see that I really need to keep working on this whole chip thing.

Kipkabob

If I don't have Cheezits available, aslice of cheddar cheese and an apple will get eaten as happily.

Recent Activity

New Members

New FilesVisit Your Group

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Yahoo! Health

Memory Loss

Are you at risk

for Alzheimers?

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Thanks ! This is the best group...everyone is so supportive and kind! And yes it is so much easier said than done!

Kipkabob

Subject: Re: Healthy Food and IETo: IntuitiveEating_Support Received: Monday, November 24, 2008, 2:48 AM

Hi Kip,This sounds like a case of black and white thinking, something I struggle with all the time. You say you want to eat healthy so you will feel better, but you are afraid you will feel deprived. I'll bet you are afraid of feeling deprived because you are seeing it as a choice between eating healthy or NOT eating healthy. Perhaps you can ease your way into healthy eating, while you continue to keep "fun food" around to remind yourself that you CAN still have it when you want to. And if you feel like a handful of chips, have the chips. If you don't have the chips around, and you deny yourself the chips, at some point you probably WILL feel deprived, and might even have a chip binge!I have been working on this myself.I have had to back way off the sugar because I was eating so much of it, I started to develop some health problems. It has been a bit of a challenge not to slip

into diet mentality, but so far, Intuitive Eating has given me the tools to avoid it. Today I was craving chocolate. The food police in my head kept saying, "No! You are not supposed to eat that now, remember?" But the Intuitive Eater said, "Have a small piece of chocolate. Enjoy it. Feel the satisfaction. " And I did. I had 2 small pieces of chocolate. My body was happy, I was happy. Had I not done that, I might have lasted another day or two, and then I would have gone "nuts" and probably eaten the whole box!So I think it IS possible to eat healthy in an intuitive manner and not feel deprived, but you just have to keep the principles in mind at all times and not slip into diet mentality or black and white thinking. Easier said than done, I know! :-) B.> > > Subject: [intuitiveEating_ Support] Healthy Food and IE> To: IntuitiveEating_ Support@yahoogro ups.com> Received: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM> > > > > > > This

may sound a bit weird (or maybe it's typical of the IE process, I> don't know), but I'm trying to eat mostly healthy food, because I feel> better when I do. But there's a part of me that feels scared and> guilty. Scared that I'll fall into old, obsessive patterns, and> guilty that I'm not *allowing* other types of food.> The thing is, rationally, I know I'm doing what I need to do, that> part of IE is giving your body what it wants in order to feel good,> and that I CAN have pizza or french fries or what have you if I really> want them. But the fear and guilt are there, nonetheless. > I'm not cutting out entire groups of food (except the ones I don't> like, lol!), and I'm not eating any non-fat, sugar-free, diet-y stuff,> unless it's something I DO like. > Oy. This is the problem with being the product of> Jewish/Irish- Catholic parents; too much

guilt, lol!> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger ..yahoo.com/ webmessengerprom o.php>

Kip - boundary setting is a challenge for sure!As well as the see-saw

game of eat it or don't eat it. It really does sound like you are

getting more aware and in a specific way too. That is wonderful and I

bet you do figure out what works best for you. Even put chips on a

'dinner' plate and sit at the table to eat them? I need to do that

with chocolate!

BEST to you - ehugs, Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> Katcha- that was my reasoning in suggesting not buying chips.  If

the chips aren't there and I am hungry, I will choose something else

to eat.  It's when the chips aren't there, I'm not hungry but I want

them to comfort/relax me...that's when I get into trouble.  I feel

deprived...not of food but of comfort.  And then I end up eating lots

of something else to take away those feelings.  I can see that I

really need to keep working on this whole chip thing. 

>

>

> Kipkabob

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> If I don't have Cheezits available, a

> slice of cheddar cheese and an apple will get eaten as happily.

I loved both books! Intuitive Eating was like the "how to" book for me, but Overcoming Overeating is more like a "why do I" book. I'm reading "When Women Stop Hating Themselves" by Jane Hirschmann, and really like it too!

Keep eatin those chips!

Bonnie

To: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 7:18:07 AMSubject: Re: Healthy Food and IE

Thanks Bonnie for your concern! And don't worry...I'd never hate you! And I'm never giving up on IE either!! I was just throwing some ideas out there. There's gotta be a way to still do IE and eat healthier without feeling deprived.

My problem with chips is that I tend to eat them when I am not hungry in the evening when I sit down to watch tv. I am using chips for more than food. They are comforting me and relaxing me. Yes I do like them but when I am truly hungry I tend not to want them. My mother always had a bowl of chips waiting for us when we got home from school. So it's definitely a comforting thing for me.

Maybe I just need more time working at this. I did diet for a long time. I did Weight Watchers for almost 3 years straight (2002-2005) and the summer of 2006. And I've never had a normal relationship with food that I can remember. I dug out some of my IE books that I haven't looked at in awhile last night. I started reading Overcoming Overeating. I actually bought it in 2006 when I bought Intuitive Eating and have never looked at it. Someone posted about it several weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find it last night!

Don't worry I'm not giving up! And there's got to be a way to make peace with chips! I'll keep looking until I find a way! :)

Kipkabob

From: alyzu1 <alyzucomcast (DOT) net>Subject: [intuitiveEating_ Support] Healthy Food and IETo: IntuitiveEating_ Support@yahoogro ups.comReceived: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 12:31 PM

lol!

Hi Kip,

It sound like you may be avoiding taking a different course of action

because you fear you won't be able to handle the difficult emotion of

deprivation. Maybe you could still try eating a bit healthier

(because from your post it sounds like a part of you truly believes

that your body wants and needs this) and then *expect* to feel

deprived. When you feel deprived, really *sit with the feeling, and

ask yourself what you really feel deprived of*. -- The answer may

not be chips or " junk food " , but may be love, companionship,

excitement, etc. You won't really know what you're truly feeling

deprived of unless you invite the emotion in and sit with it with

great awareness for a while. And maybe it will take doing this a few

times for you to get some deeper answers.

I could be wrong, but then again this might help you break through

your feelings of deprivation, and the emotions you tie to both

(a) " healthy foods " and (B) junk foods. (I myself am struggling

through this right now - you are not alone :) )

>

> I've been thinking a lot lately about how " eating healthy " and IE

go together.  Since starting IE, I have basically eaten junk for the

past 2 years.  Now I know there is no junk food in IE but it's food

that really doesn't have much nutritional value.  It's just so much

easier to get home from work and throw some french fries in the oven

than it is to prepare a salad for example.  I maybe eat 2 fruits and

veggies a day and somedays none.  Oh and I've basically feel like

crap all the time.  I have no energy and don't feel like doing

anything.  And I've eaten so much salt in the past years I'm probably

half pickled by now!  I'd like to eat better....so I feel better. 

But I also don't want to feel deprived. 

>  

> I have been debating ways of going about this.  One idea I had was

skipping the " junk " aisle at the grocery store.  Just not buying the

crap to begin with.  I did this years ago...I went probably 6 months

without eating any potato chips.  After the first few weeks I didn't

even miss them.  I'm just scared that I'll feel deprived. But I've

just been using IE as the rationalization to eat whatever I want all

the time.  Something needs to change.

>

> Kipkabob

See Kip! I told you, you really like chips!!

:) Bonnie

To: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 7:27:20 AMSubject: Re: Re: Healthy Food and IE

Katcha- that was my reasoning in suggesting not buying chips. If the chips aren't there and I am hungry, I will choose something else to eat. It's when the chips aren't there, I'm not hungry but I want them to comfort/relax me...that's when I get into trouble. I feel deprived...not of food but of comfort. And then I end up eating lots of something else to take away those feelings. I can see that I really need to keep working on this whole chip thing.

Kipkabob

If I don't have Cheezits available, aslice of cheddar cheese and an apple will get eaten as happily.

Recent Activity

New Members

New FilesVisit Your Group

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Yahoo! Health

Memory Loss

Are you at risk

for Alzheimers?

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Thanks Abby! I have tried that before but it has felt like a rule. And when something feels like a rule with eating I want to break it! I do tend to eat at the table a lot more now though. I always used to eat my breakfast in the living room watching tv but I have broken myself of that habit. And I used to eat supper in front of the tv a lot and I hardly ever do that anymore. Maybe I really need to be nurturing with myself like you are and keep reminding myself that I am not deprived I can eat ANYTHING I just have to do it mindfully.

Kipkabob

lol!

Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger

Thanks! I know I am deprived of love and companionship. All of this whole chip thing started again after my sister got married and moved out at the end of September. I know it's all connected to being alone. Completely alone. I know all this but yet I can't seem to deal with it. I just keep numbing myself.

I thought I had all this dealt with. Last year I remember walking down the chip aisle and nothing appealed to me at all. I feel like I'm right back to square one.

Kipkabob

Subject: Re: Healthy Food and IETo: IntuitiveEating_Support Received: Monday, November 24, 2008, 7:21 PM

Hi Kip, It sound like you may be avoiding taking a different course of action because you fear you won't be able to handle the difficult emotion of deprivation. Maybe you could still try eating a bit healthier (because from your post it sounds like a part of you truly believes that your body wants and needs this) and then *expect* to feel deprived. When you feel deprived, really *sit with the feeling, and ask yourself what you really feel deprived of*. -- The answer may not be chips or "junk food", but may be love, companionship, excitement, etc. You won't really know what you're truly feeling deprived of unless you invite the emotion in and sit with it with great awareness for a while. And maybe it will take doing this a few times for you to get some deeper answers. I could be wrong, but then again this might help you break through your feelings of deprivation, and the emotions you tie to both

(a) "healthy foods" and (B) junk foods. (I myself am struggling through this right now - you are not alone :) )>> I've been thinking a lot lately about how "eating healthy" and IE go together. Since starting IE, I have basically eaten junk for the past 2 years. Now I know there is no junk food in IE but it's food that really doesn't have much nutritional value. It's just so much easier to get home from work and throw some french fries in the oven than it is to prepare a salad for example. I maybe eat 2 fruits and veggies a day and somedays none. Oh and I've basically feel like crap all the time. I have no energy and don't feel like doing anything. And I've eaten so much

salt in the past years I'm probably half pickled by now! I'd like to eat better....so I feel better. But I also don't want to feel deprived. > > I have been debating ways of going about this. One idea I had was skipping the "junk" aisle at the grocery store. Just not buying the crap to begin with. I did this years ago...I went probably 6 months without eating any potato chips. After the first few weeks I didn't even miss them. I'm just scared that I'll feel deprived. But I've just been using IE as the rationalization to eat whatever I want all the time. Something needs to change.> > Kipkabob> (Intuitive eating since September 2006)

Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger

This is my next step! It is very hard for me to eat without grabbing

a book or a newspaper. (When I lived in New York, in my early 20's, I

spent most of my time by myself. I would read A LOT while I ate, rode

the subway, sat in my apartment, etc., and never got over that habit.)

Thanks Abby!

And happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

>

> kipkabob,

>

> i thought i'd share my experience, in case it would be helpful... A few

> weeks ago, I decided that I was going to commit to eating without doing

> anything else, whenever possible.

>

> This was so hard because i ADORE curling up with book and a snack,

or a bowl

> of popcorn and a movie. it's like, my most favorite thing to do! but

i told

> myself that i could eat anything i wanted, but i couldn't have it while

> doing anything else. most of the time, i insist on sitting at the

table to

> eat, as well, if my apartment isn't too freezing.

>

> i found that when i did that i definitely cut out a lot of snacking

-- it's

> just not as fun without that activity (reading or watching tv)! but

and just

> eating, by itself, forced me to pay attention to my hunger &

satiety. but i

> guess i could look at it as " i got to pay attention to savoring

every bite. "

>

>

> one interesting thing about this is that a few days after i started,

i got

> sooooo depressed, and it lasted about two weeks. i think that this was

> because i just abruptly abolished a major coping mechanism for me.

that was

> really terrible, actually, being that down and sad. i wish i had

known to

> expect it.

>

> it was really tough, but weirdly, once i made the decision/rule, i could

> never break it, even when i wanted to! it was the strangest feeling.

after

> about 2 weeks, the depression abruptly lifted, and now i feel fine,

and the

> new behavior so much easier than it was -- now if i have the radio

on when i

> start to eat i feel like there's an intruder in the room!

>

> i use my nurturing mom voice -- and say -- ok, you can have anything you

> want, but you have to come sit at the table for it. and if i cant be

> bothered to stop reading/watching tv/lying on the couch, i probably

wasnt

> hungry.

>

> i dont know if this would work for you, but i thought i'd share my

> experience, just in case...

>

> abby

That's great Abby - finding something like this to focus on is what I

need to do as well. It just hard for me to 'see' myself ;-) Plus

knocking into my HARD head (well old habits really) is apt to trigger

rebellion in me. You are inspiring me to keep at it :) :) Happy T-day

to you too :)

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

> >

> > kipkabob,

> > This was so hard because i ADORE curling up with book and a snack,

> or a bowl

> > of popcorn and a movie. it's like, my most favorite thing to do! it's

> > just not as fun without that activity (reading or watching tv)! but

> and just

> > eating, by itself, forced me to pay attention to my hunger &

> satiety. but i

> > guess i could look at it as " i got to pay attention to savoring

> every bite. "

Abby, I wish I had a video of watching this one gal I worked with eat

- she looked like each bite as ecstasy!!! And she chewed in the most

attractive manner imaginable. THAT is what I would internally picture

for my own self if I had to deal with LOUD relatives and lots of them

surrounding me too.

As for your mom and her 'hint hint hint', while you can't reply - " And

I would LOVE a mother who didn't demand/embarrass/put-me-on-the-spot/

etc. " I can't help but wonder what her face would be like if you told

her that with that kind of encouragement, maybe you should XXXXX (fill

in the blank of her worse fear). Ah but alas, such events can be more

a helliday than joyous occasion where everyone enjoys the company of

the others rather than are there because they 1) want a free meal and

don't want to cook it for themselves, 2) 'everyone' does it 3) twist

'family can be HONEST' into a battle of slinging jabs at everyone etc.

etc. (if you think I'm odd - let me add that one of my most ENJOYABLE

Thanksgivings was when hubby went to HIS family and I stayed home

alone. He learned a valuable lesson - he didn't really enjoy his

family and I had a pleasant, QUIET day to myself.)

Beyond that - IGNORE them and have yourself a GRAND time!

>

> does anyone have any advice for eating mindfully in the midst of a

crowd of

> LOUD relatives and a gigantic, beautiful spread of food?

>

> and while you're at it, how to not get stressed when your mother

jokes and

> says she'd like grandchildren from all three of her kids, but would

be happy

> with me [just] getting a partner, for the time being?

>