RemedySpot.com

Re: scd and budget?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I also have a difficult time, any time you try to help yourself it seems that health food costs more than junk food! I have no advice except I make a list and just do without the things I want to buy as opposed to the things that I have to buy b/c I can not afford to either. With a child it is more difficult b/c they are always in the I want category! I think she should try to buy bulk and use a dehydrator to make and store the snacks and buy the almond flour bulk and just stay organized to ration it out over the month just as we do with the regular snacks we buy. I would be interested also in what others have to offer b/c I could benefit from the same type of help.

Suzanne scd and budget?To: BTVC-SCD > Hello there,> > Does anyone have any thoughts on how to help someone with a > child with > Aspberger's Sydrome and the SCdiet, as they are on a very tight > income > and find this diet impossible financially speaking, when they > look at > it... anyone out there that can be of support? I would love to > find a > way to help my friend....> > Thanks,> Therese, scd 7wks> MS 2 yrs diagnosed> IB undiagnosed since infancy 41 yrs.> > >

At 10:57 AM 1/18/2008, you wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts on

how to help someone with a child with Aspberger's Sydrome and the SCdiet,

as they are on a very tight income and find this diet impossible

financially speaking, when they look at it... anyone out there that can

be of support? I would love to find a way to help my

friend....

Fact: meat and vegetables cost more than junk food.

Fact: SCD does not require all organic foods, nor does one have to buy

everything from a health food store. Some people find it useful, but as

long as you wash ordinary veggies well, and get minimally processed meats

(ie, without junkie injected fluids), you'll be OK.

Fact: if they've been casein free, they won't need to worry about a

yogurt maker, goat's milk, or yogurt starter at the beginning. The usual

recommendation is to wait 3-6 months before introducing goat

yogurt.

Fact: if they are no longer buying all the expensive gluten-free and

casein-free processed foods which make GFCF so convenient, they may have

money for real food.

What do they usually eat? (I probably don't want to know, but I'm asking

anyway.) This crew is very adept at making substitutions.

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Hi Therese,

All fresh can be more expensive, but if your friend has tried SCD and it's working for her child, she can definitely save money by buying some things in bulk. For instance, I buy my almond flour online from Sun Organic Farms (10 lbs. for $59) www.sunorganic.com. I buy my honey bulk online from 's Honey www.millershoney.com, where you can get it for less than $2/lb. in bulk. Yes, it costs more up front, but it's cheaper in the long run. Raw nuts are cheaper at Trader Joe's than elsewhere. I've learned that eggs are almost always cheaper at Trader Joe's or even a drugstore than the regular supermarkets (at least here in Southern California). Buy bulk frozen veggies (with no additives) at Costco. Buy Provolone cheese at Costco. My Costco also sells large jars of Maranatha Almond Butter, which I use for the German Coffee Cake recipe (yum!) and to make pancakes. And, as others have pointed out, by using everything (like our grandmothers used to do) - like roasting a whole chicken or turkey and using the bones and leftover bits and pieces to make soup - you can save. Yes, it takes MUCH more effort than the traditional American diet that made us sick, but at least in my case, the fact that it's working gives me the patience when I'm ready to throw all my pots and pans out the window instead of having to wash them YET AGAIN.

Hope this helps, and my best wishes for your friend.

Kathy

>> Does anyone have any thoughts on how to help someone with a child with > Aspberger's Sydrome and the SCdiet, as they are on a very tight income