RemedySpot.com

FW: please help - A message from Senator Ring

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Please Distribute:

Advocates, parents and professionals,

Senator Ring requested that I forward this email to the autism community. It is a rare occasion for a Senator to extend a general invitation to a particular group asking for assistance before drafting legislation. Even more unusual, he is looking at three completely different pieces of legislation. Your input matters to him. Please take this opportunity to read and respond to him at jeremy_ring@....

Thank you.

Goldsteinp.s. Senator Ring will be attending the Autism/DD Summit in Orlando on Sept. 15 and 16th.

> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:42:27 -0700> Subject: please help> To: skgoldstein@...; daclayman@...> > , Dave:> > As you know, I'm going to put forth several pieces of legislation this year regarding autism.> > I want to get your input as well as comments from people who are part of the autism community. If you could share this with your email group, It would be very appreciated. Please be advised, my ideas are only high level. I'm counting on you and other experts to help me fill in the details.> > 1) Vaccinations: I'd like to propose legislation that does the following:> a) eliminates mercury from vaccinations> B) allows for a moral opt-out for non-fatal diseases, such as Hepatitis A and Chicken Pox> c) spreads out the vaccinations schedule so children aren't receiving so many shots at once (If you have any schedule ideas please let me know> > > 2) Referral: Propose a bill that mandates when a parent suspects that their child is autistic, the pediatrician must by law immediately provide a referral to an expert (a neurologist????)> > 3) Provide a definition for autism: current autism definition (Title XXIX Chapter 393.063 Subsection 3)> > Austism means a pervasive neuroligically based developmental disability of extended duration which causes severe learning, communication and behavioral disorders with age of onset during infancy or childhood. Individuals with autism exhibit impairment in reciprocal social interaction, impairment in verbal and non-verbal communication and imaginative ability, and a markedly restricted repertoire of activities and interests. > > I'd like to make a simple change and in the first line after the word neurologically add "and physically" I may be wrong, but I believe it the word physical is used, it may open up more opportunities for greater insurance coverage.> > Again, these are just high level concepts. I'd really like the experts to add detail and let me know if I'm on the right path.> > Thanks> >