RemedySpot.com

allergies and gut discomfort

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi all,

I have been keeping a journal and recently noticed that as my BMs changed for

the worst, my

allergies have been going crazy with all the pollen dropping from the trees here

in Houston.

Does anyone have a remedy that quells the allergies AND more importantly, helps

the

digestion get back to normal? I am scared I will launch into a flare because of

the allergies,

since this is the time when I used to flare every year. Should I go back to the

intro to let my

intestines rest a bit?

crohn's (07) UC (03)

Remicade

Guest guest

Hi , I have seasonal allergies too. I think the allergies come secondary to the sick intestine ( as our GI system is not healthy and can't protect us from allergens as Immune system is not strong due to the GI problems. I would suggest to eat only the "safest" food to avoid any additional "work" for the intestine + vitamins and other supp. that you are taking. It is not necessary in my opinion to go to the intro diet ( unless you feel this is the best for you). I hope this helps. Guerin wrote: Hi all,I have been keeping a journal and recently noticed that as my BMs changed for the worst, my allergies have been going crazy with all the pollen dropping from the trees here in Houston. Does anyone have a remedy that quells the allergies AND more importantly, helps the digestion get back to normal? I am scared I will launch into a flare because of the allergies, since this is the time when I used to flare every year. Should I go back to the intro to let my intestines rest a bit?crohn's (07) UC (03)Remicade

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

wrote:"I...recently noticed that as my BMs changed for the worst, my allergies have been going crazy with all the pollen. Does anyone have a remedy that quells the allergies AND more importantly, helps the digestion get back to normal?"----------------Hi ,I've got terrible spring allergies; so much so in fact that I'm moving from the NorthEast to sub-tropical Florida for the spring bloom this year. I can't afford to spend another summer sick as a dog because my allergies did me in (as I did last year.) I am trying a few things this year, in addition to limiting my exposure to allergens (which I believe is the most important thing to do.) Limiting exposure includes not exercising outdoors during

highest pollen times, such as first thing in the morning AND when the pollen counts are very high (you can check this information at www.pollen.com or www.aaaai.org1. Eat a simple diet free from as many inflammatory compounds as possible. This means foods that you can easily digest. For me, this translates to (a) limiting sugar, (B) limiting red meat, and © making sure I get plenty of Omega-3s (from fish), plus good colorful foods like blueberries and cranberries.2. Increasing Vitamin C intake. I use a buffered form, and have been told by my physician that it's "legal". I'd suggest that if others do this, that you verify legality. Vitamin C apparently can neutralize an allergenic reaction but one needs to be careful because it's also known to cause diarrhea if too much is consumed. For allergies, my doctor recommends

taking it "to bowel tolerance", which means a dosage just below what I've observed to cause loose stool. For me, this equals about 2grams a day.3. Going easy on the antihistamines, steroid nasal sprays, etc. I will use a product called Nasalcrom (which is steroid free), as it helps calm inflammation in the nasal tissues/sinuses, where I feel most of my pain.4. There are additional enzymes (food-based) known to help decrease allergy reactions, and these are "Bromelain" and "Quercitin". I don't know about legality of these supplements and I don't know how they'd affect folks with irritated GI tracts. I take them and they do help me, but I hesitate to say they're generally acceptable. I think you need to approach enzymes with caution, as SCD recommends.5. Use a saline nasal douche/irrigation with a neti pot. This involves rinsing the sinuses out with warm saline water (not hot!!), which has the effect of flushing allergenic pollens

out of the tissue, where it causes a reaction. For me, this is the single most soothing and wonderful thing I can do to help my discomfort. The irrigation also flushes out the sticky, gooey mucous that accumulates in the sinuses and can cause sinus infections and that stuffy feeling.I wish you the best, try to NOT stress (stress is renowned for making allergies worse), and do things you enjoy, which make you feel good - whether that be chilling with a book, or laughing with friends. This type of good energy also helps to soothe our bodies and make us less reactive. Nina in MA

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.