doing work 40 hours a week....

You can go to a place like Reaching Potentials in Boca. Get a program

set up and learn how to do it at home as well. This way you extend the

hours but not the cost.

You can hire college students and train them to do the work....the

cost will be significantly less.

It is true that kids need to be kids, but some of our kids have a

problem with exactly that. If my child spends his " free " time doing

visual stimulation, how much free time should I give him?

We all need to balance our health and happiness in order to keep our

kids healthy and happy. There is no need for rigidity. I am glad you

found the things that help you and your child. I am sorry you had to

suffer through guilt.

Shirly

>

> Hi All,

> Sorry, but this has been bothering me for a long time.

> Everone seems to always be talking about getting as closr to 40 hours

> of ABA as you can. I have to say that for us this was impossiable. I

> can not see how anyone could afford this service who does have alot of

> money. We tried just doing ten hours for two years,now we are left with

> alno money(you know plus the reg expesnses)

> I was told my daughtrer would probably fail in life if we did

> not get her the ABA . Everyone pushed a max of 20 hours. It made me

> feel that I was a faliure of a Mother if I could not do it. How can

> anyone afford this with speech and Ot and even PT.

> I give up everything for my daughter including my own PT

> becuase I would rather see the money go towards her speech therapy.

> (Which I cant really afford either. Thankfully we are finally on the

> medwaiver..but that has taken four years. (Or in the process we have

> not seen any helo yet..just grateful we have it now!)I did everything

> including try to teach her myself. After I got sick I realized that it

> was more helpful to my daughter if she had a loving, healthy Mom by her

> side that would play with her, have fun learnig new words with games

> and floor time activities. We tried grants with Hippo therapy . Her

> biggest and best acomplishments came from swimming lessons. We got Ot,

> Pt, and speech all at the same time. It really brought out what I call

> her " True " self. Now...after all theses years of exausting myself

> trying to find therapist for ABA that we just beyond my finacial

> abilitirs. I found the right choice for her. It was me!

> I am not saying ABA is a bad thing by any means. I am just

> saying that for years I felt such horriable guilt, and probalby made

> myself sick. (Physically) I just wanted to point out that no one should

> be told if they can't do it " THe ABA " they should never feel like I

> did. Every little thing helps no mtter what the experts say! I realized

> that I am her greatest form of therapy, and it is our bond that I had

> to fight to get back for so long.. that had helped us the most. For

> those out there that may be in a similar financial situation..hang in

> there.and be aware of some only out to get abuck (yes this does

> happen) In the end our kids need to laugh in the park, swim in a pool,

> blow bubbles, and try to ride a bike. How can they be what they are

> meant to be if we are told we are told..we " Have " to get the therapy or

> else?

> Thanks for listening. And belive me when I say I fought for

> four years with this, trying to find money.( We do not have family or

> frinds to lean on, or for financial help.) Heck I tried my harderst and

> finally found respite care. That was something that helped my daughter

> too...without her Mom being the best, healthy, and well rested I know

> she would not have acomplished half of what she has done. I just wished

> the experts who forget to tell parents these things would start to

> listen up. Take a look, and SEE our children need hours of learning to

> jsut be kids too.This is also why it is so strong in my heart to push

> not only time with our children, but safety issues too. Without our

> childrens health and well being all the therapy in the world won't make

> a difference.

> I think making the choice to follow my heart didn't

> made me less of a mother, I think under the circumstances it made me

> more of a mother. At first I thought I had no choice, then I can to the

> conclusion that this " WAS " my choice. I didn't have to keep fighing or

> looking, becuase it was right there in front of me.

> Thanks for listening..please remember

> this is just my opinion, and everyone who is able to get all those

> hours of theray should be grateful.I know I would have tried to do the

> same, but I am not sure if I would have done the amount of time. I for

> one could not find the money, and I guess seeing my little girl laugh

> or smile, maes me feel it is stillok, I still am doing the best I can.

> Kriss

>

This is called Natural Environment Teaching and is considered best practices with autism.

One does not need to sit at a table in order to utilize ABA strategies. They can be interspersed throughout the natural learning environment, which helps promote generality, and throughout the day.

We are our kids' best teachers. We don't need to pay for that, maybe for some training, but we generally learn how to do this ourselves.

If you need some ideas, let me know...

Re: Ok, I have a problem here! ReABA

I understand the frustration. I was in the same position. Thee areoptions out there to doing ABA cheaper. You can really get the 40hours in without paying for 40 hours of therapy. You can do a lot onyour own. I bet a lot of what you were doing anyway would be accordingto ABA principals. Every time you praise your child for looking atyou/talking to you/ signing his wants and needs, every time like thatis based on ABA principals. ABA does not mean sitting at a table anddoing work 40 hours a week....You can go to a place like Reaching Potentials in Boca. Get a programset up and learn how to do it at home as well. This way you extend thehours but not the cost.You can hire college students and train them to do the work....thecost will be significantly less.It is true that kids need to be kids, but some of our kids have aproblem with exactly that. If my child spends his "free" time doingvisual stimulation, how much free time should I give him?We all need to balance our health and happiness in order to keep ourkids healthy and happy. There is no need for rigidity. I am glad youfound the things that help you and your child. I am sorry you had tosuffer through guilt.Shirly>> Hi All,> Sorry, but this has been bothering me for a long time. > Everone seems to always be talking about getting as closr to 40 hours > of ABA as you can. I have to say that for us this was impossiable. I > can not see how anyone could afford this service who does have alot of > money. We tried just doing ten hours for two years,now we are left with > alno money(you know plus the reg expesnses) > I was told my daughtrer would probably fail in life if we did > not get her the ABA . Everyone pushed a max of 20 hours. It made me > feel that I was a faliure of a Mother if I could not do it. How can > anyone afford this with speech and Ot and even PT. > I give up everything for my daughter including my own PT > becuase I would rather see the money go towards her speech therapy. > (Which I cant really afford either. Thankfully we are finally on the > medwaiver..but that has taken four years. (Or in the process we have > not seen any helo yet..just grateful we have it now!)I did everything > including try to teach her myself. After I got sick I realized that it > was more helpful to my daughter if she had a loving, healthy Mom by her > side that would play with her, have fun learnig new words with games > and floor time activities. We tried grants with Hippo therapy . Her > biggest and best acomplishments came from swimming lessons. We got Ot, > Pt, and speech all at the same time. It really brought out what I call > her "True" self. Now...after all theses years of exausting myself > trying to find therapist for ABA that we just beyond my finacial > abilitirs. I found the right choice for her. It was me! > I am not saying ABA is a bad thing by any means. I am just > saying that for years I felt such horriable guilt, and probalby made > myself sick. (Physically) I just wanted to point out that no one should > be told if they can't do it "THe ABA" they should never feel like I > did. Every little thing helps no mtter what the experts say! I realized > that I am her greatest form of therapy, and it is our bond that I had > to fight to get back for so long.. that had helped us the most. For > those out there that may be in a similar financial situation..hang in > there.and be aware of some only out to get abuck (yes this does > happen) In the end our kids need to laugh in the park, swim in a pool, > blow bubbles, and try to ride a bike. How can they be what they are > meant to be if we are told we are told.we "Have" to get the therapy or > else?> Thanks for listening. And belive me when I say I fought for > four years with this, trying to find money.( We do not have family or > frinds to lean on, or for financial help.) Heck I tried my harderst and > finally found respite care. That was something that helped my daughter > too...without her Mom being the best, healthy, and well rested I know > she would not have acomplished half of what she has done. I just wished > the experts who forget to tell parents these things would start to > listen up Take a look, and SEE our children need hours of learning to > jsut be kids too.This is also why it is so strong in my heart to push > not only time with our children, but safety issues too. Without our > childrens health and well being all the therapy in the world won't make > a difference.> I think making the choice to follow my heart didn't > made me less of a mother, I think under the circumstances it made me > more of a mother. At first I thought I had no choice, then I can to the > conclusion that this "WAS" my choice. I didn't have to keep fighing or > looking, becuase it was right there in front of me. > Thanks for listening..please remember > this is just my opinion, and everyone who is able to get all those > hours of theray should be grateful.I know I would have tried to do the > same, but I am not sure if I would have done the amount of time. I for > one could not find the money, and I guess seeing my little girl laugh > or smile, maes me feel it is stillok, I still am doing the best I can.> Kriss>

Thnaks. Yes I have done most of that. We were at Reaching Potentals. THats where we had the 10 hours. Then I had the students come in. Seemed like ever other month they left. So I started doing it mysefl when I could. What kills me the most was all the "Hidden " fees. My daughter went through the program so fast, and every time a new one was mad Ior I reached a certain amount of hours I was given a two hundread dollar bill for a new program! I just couldn't tak it. THen after two years of that I was told by more than on therapist..well I don't think she really needs this , she just goes through the program too fast. Too fast??? It was so fustrating. I even went through a therapist were we had a web cam and she would send me the programs via email. I I obviously already knew this therapist,

and would in no way rec. to someone who does not know the person!) Anyway, it also seemed like any new therapist would start from square one. I was like..excuse me, but she was doing "Tap table two years ago!" I always got the same answer..well we need to see where she is. I said to them. I already told you..didn't you see the twenty page report you asked me to fill out??? "Well, I read some of it, but we still need to start from the beginning" SO....I am sure you see why I just don't agree with all this. In the end I did some of the work at home. Then I became ill and could not even get out of bed. Last year I was sick the entire year, and was finally diagnosed Fibromyalgia. I knew right then and there that I had to do what was right in my heart. She needed me, and I had to have faith that it was not the twenty to forty hours. It was all about the quality of hours.I just wanted bpeople to know that there are other options, and it does not have to mean

your child will end up drooling in some corner at an institution. My daughter is happy, and loved to learn. SO despite us having to cut al thoses ABA hours she is doing ok.

Thank again ,

Kriss

I understand the frustration. I was in the same position. Thee areoptions out there to doing ABA cheaper. You can really get the 40hours in without paying for 40 hours of therapy. You can do a lot onyour own. I bet a lot of what you were doing anyway would be accordingto ABA principals. Every time you praise your child for looking atyou/talking to you/ signing his wants and needs, every time like thatis based on ABA principals. ABA does not mean sitting at a table anddoing work 40 hours a week....You can go to a place like Reaching Potentials in Boca. Get a programset up and learn how to do it at home as well. This way you extend thehours but not the cost.You can hire college students and train them to do the work....thecost will be significantly less.It is true that kids need to be kids, but some of our kids have aproblem with exactly that. If my child spends his "free" time

doingvisual stimulation, how much free time should I give him?We all need to balance our health and happiness in order to keep ourkids healthy and happy. There is no need for rigidity. I am glad youfound the things that help you and your child. I am sorry you had tosuffer through guilt.Shirly>> Hi All,> Sorry, but this has been bothering me for a long time. > Everone seems to always be talking about getting as closr to 40 hours > of ABA as you can. I have to say that for us this was impossiable. I > can not see how anyone could afford this service who does have alot of > money. We tried just doing ten hours for two years,now we are left with > alno

money(you know plus the reg expesnses) > I was told my daughtrer would probably fail in life if we did > not get her the ABA . Everyone pushed a max of 20 hours. It made me > feel that I was a faliure of a Mother if I could not do it. How can > anyone afford this with speech and Ot and even PT. > I give up everything for my daughter including my own PT > becuase I would rather see the money go towards her speech therapy. > (Which I cant really afford either. Thankfully we are finally on the > medwaiver..but that has taken four years. (Or in the process we have > not seen any helo yet..just grateful we have it now!)I did everything > including try to teach her myself. After I got sick I realized that it > was more helpful to my daughter if she had a loving, healthy Mom by her > side that would play with her, have fun learnig new words with games > and floor time

activities. We tried grants with Hippo therapy . Her > biggest and best acomplishments came from swimming lessons. We got Ot, > Pt, and speech all at the same time. It really brought out what I call > her "True" self. Now...after all theses years of exausting myself > trying to find therapist for ABA that we just beyond my finacial > abilitirs. I found the right choice for her. It was me! > I am not saying ABA is a bad thing by any means. I am just > saying that for years I felt such horriable guilt, and probalby made > myself sick. (Physically) I just wanted to point out that no one should > be told if they can't do it "THe ABA" they should never feel like I > did. Every little thing helps no mtter what the experts say! I realized > that I am her greatest form of therapy, and it is our bond that I had > to fight to get back for so long.. that had helped us the most. For

> those out there that may be in a similar financial situation..hang in > there.and be aware of some only out to get abuck (yes this does > happen) In the end our kids need to laugh in the park, swim in a pool, > blow bubbles, and try to ride a bike. How can they be what they are > meant to be if we are told we are told..we "Have" to get the therapy or > else?> Thanks for listening. And belive me when I say I fought for > four years with this, trying to find money.( We do not have family or > frinds to lean on, or for financial help.) Heck I tried my harderst and > finally found respite care. That was something that helped my daughter > too...without her Mom being the best, healthy, and well rested I know > she would not have acomplished half of what she has done. I just wished > the experts who forget to tell parents these things would start to > listen

up. Take a look, and SEE our children need hours of learning to > jsut be kids too.This is also why it is so strong in my heart to push > not only time with our children, but safety issues too. Without our > childrens health and well being all the therapy in the world won't make > a difference.> I think making the choice to follow my heart didn't > made me less of a mother, I think under the circumstances it made me > more of a mother. At first I thought I had no choice, then I can to the > conclusion that this "WAS" my choice. I didn't have to keep fighing or > looking, becuase it was right there in front of me. > Thanks for listening..please remember > this is just my opinion, and everyone who is able to get all those > hours of theray should be grateful.I know I would have tried to do the > same, but I am not sure if I would have done the amount of time. I for

> one could not find the money, and I guess seeing my little girl laugh > or smile, maes me feel it is stillok, I still am doing the best I can.> Kriss>

So true..thanks

I understand the frustration. I was in the same position. Thee areoptions out there to doing ABA cheaper. You can really get the 40hours in without paying for 40 hours of therapy. You can do a lot onyour own. I bet a lot of what you were doing anyway would be accordingto ABA principals. Every time you praise your child for looking atyou/talking to you/ signing his wants and needs, every time like thatis based on ABA principals. ABA does not mean sitting at a table anddoing work 40 hours a week....You can go to a place like Reaching Potentials in Boca. Get a programset up and learn how to do it at home as well. This way you extend thehours but not the cost.You can hire college students and train them to do the work....thecost will be significantly less.It is true that kids need to be kids, but some of our kids have aproblem with exactly that. If my child spends his "free" time

doingvisual stimulation, how much free time should I give him?We all need to balance our health and happiness in order to keep ourkids healthy and happy. There is no need for rigidity. I am glad youfound the things that help you and your child. I am sorry you had tosuffer through guilt.Shirly>> Hi All,> Sorry, but this has been bothering me for a long time. > Everone seems to always be talking about getting as closr to 40 hours > of ABA as you can. I have to say that for us this was impossiable. I > can not see how anyone could afford this service who does have alot of > money. We tried just doing ten hours for two years,now we are left with > alno

money(you know plus the reg expesnses) > I was told my daughtrer would probably fail in life if we did > not get her the ABA . Everyone pushed a max of 20 hours. It made me > feel that I was a faliure of a Mother if I could not do it. How can > anyone afford this with speech and Ot and even PT. > I give up everything for my daughter including my own PT > becuase I would rather see the money go towards her speech therapy. > (Which I cant really afford either. Thankfully we are finally on the > medwaiver..but that has taken four years. (Or in the process we have > not seen any helo yet..just grateful we have it now!)I did everything > including try to teach her myself. After I got sick I realized that it > was more helpful to my daughter if she had a loving, healthy Mom by her > side that would play with her, have fun learnig new words with games > and floor time

activities. We tried grants with Hippo therapy . Her > biggest and best acomplishments came from swimming lessons. We got Ot, > Pt, and speech all at the same time. It really brought out what I call > her "True" self. Now...after all theses years of exausting myself > trying to find therapist for ABA that we just beyond my finacial > abilitirs. I found the right choice for her. It was me! > I am not saying ABA is a bad thing by any means. I am just > saying that for years I felt such horriable guilt, and probalby made > myself sick. (Physically) I just wanted to point out that no one should > be told if they can't do it "THe ABA" they should never feel like I > did. Every little thing helps no mtter what the experts say! I realized > that I am her greatest form of therapy, and it is our bond that I had > to fight to get back for so long.. that had helped us the most. For

> those out there that may be in a similar financial situation..hang in > there.and be aware of some only out to get abuck (yes this does > happen) In the end our kids need to laugh in the park, swim in a pool, > blow bubbles, and try to ride a bike. How can they be what they are > meant to be if we are told we are told.we "Have" to get the therapy or > else?> Thanks for listening. And belive me when I say I fought for > four years with this, trying to find money.( We do not have family or > frinds to lean on, or for financial help.) Heck I tried my harderst and > finally found respite care. That was something that helped my daughter > too...without her Mom being the best, healthy, and well rested I know > she would not have acomplished half of what she has done. I just wished > the experts who forget to tell parents these things would start to > listen up

Take a look, and SEE our children need hours of learning to > jsut be kids too.This is also why it is so strong in my heart to push > not only time with our children, but safety issues too. Without our > childrens health and well being all the therapy in the world won't make > a difference.> I think making the choice to follow my heart didn't > made me less of a mother, I think under the circumstances it made me > more of a mother. At first I thought I had no choice, then I can to the > conclusion that this "WAS" my choice. I didn't have to keep fighing or > looking, becuase it was right there in front of me. > Thanks for listening..please remember > this is just my opinion, and everyone who is able to get all those > hours of theray should be grateful.I know I would have tried to do the > same, but I am not sure if I would have done the amount of time. I for

> one could not find the money, and I guess seeing my little girl laugh > or smile, maes me feel it is stillok, I still am doing the best I can.> Kriss>