RemedySpot.com

Re: school issues

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi , Thank you for the info. I know I now have a fight on my hands and I did document all my meetings and goings on with the school and Teachers.Thanks for the heads up on aFBA, I wasn't aware of that. Should I write my letter requesting evaluation and include the FBA with it? This school insists I do not speak to ESE until evaluation, I am only dealing with Guidance. I have heard this is the right way to go but given the turn of events do you think I should go straight to Spec. Ed? Thank you, Marie

From: maria mattei <overtheriebow@ yahoo.com>Subject: school issuesTo: deniseslist@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 4:56 PM

From: maria mattei <overtheriebow@ yahoo.com>Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:31:06 -0700 (PDT)To: denises<deniseslist@ yahoo.com>Subject: school issues

Can I put my situation out there?

Is this what I am to expect from the schools or did I just get up on the wrong side of the bed today. I am new to getting help from the school system. No IEP. My son has Aspergers. Starting middle school 6Th grade. ( I know what took so long? That's another discussion) I have been working with the Guidance Counselor and Teachers. I have had 2 parent/teachers conferences. The 1st to inform them of Asperger, the 2ND because he started missing assignments. The Guidance counselor told me last week she would get the teachers together today for a meeting to decide where they all stand with my son. She called me 1st thing this morning to discuss any concerns I now have about my son. Also to tell me that at this point in time there is no consent form to sign that doesn't happen til later in the process. I was informed by her that it is up to them if any testing is to be done, not me ,not his private evaluation

but just the school. If he is an A student what exactly do I expect them to do? Unless he is below a C they don't see a problem and "all these Kids whether they are Asperger, ADHD, Autistic if they are getting good grades we don't see that there is anything we should do for them."

"If there are behavioral issues and the teachers are dealing with it what's the problem?" Is this the usual ignorant response to Autistic children? If a main area initially is Social and Behavioral problems ( believe me if I stop helping him he will fail) is this what we are to expect from the school ? Where do I go from this point right now? A very hostile conversation a very closed minded discussion. Can they truly NOT help my son? Thank you for any input, Marie

I haven't gotten to that part yet. I do want and need an IEP. I am sorry if I didn't say I am just starting with the process. This summer was when I had him privately tested. This is the first time I have the school involved, and at first things seemed like they were going well, but now they have turned some what hostile. Sorry for the mix up. Marie

Subject: Re: school issuesTo: sList Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 11:25 PM

Are you choosing not to get an IEP for your son for some specific reason? IEPs can really work in your favor at least to make the school district accountable.

Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.

like they were going well, but now they have turned some what hostile

usually things turn hostile when you don't agree with what they want....what is it you want that they do not agree with?Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.

I called the guidance counselor to set up a meeting so I could sign a consent for testing and evaluating for an IEP. This phone call is when things turned badly. I was told that apparently I am talking to to many other people. There is no such thing as a consent to be signed at this point of the process. Only when the teachers and she decides that he NEEDS any testing will I be asked to come in to sign a consent. I told her I think you are mistaken (she is) and her nonsense was never ending from that point on. If he is getting good grades he will not be evaluated at which point I said " What part of Autism don't you understand?" I sit with him with homework as I have since the 3rd grade and practically reteach what ever he heard in the class that day...she then really proceeded to insult me and my son by stating..." Maybe he

does that for your benefit, maybe the way he acts at home with you is so you can do it for him." I can't even go into all of her stupidity (I do have it all written down) but the bottom line was you or any other kid with Autism, ADHD or Aspergers will not get any help if we don't think they should. I do have an advocate, I will sign a consent form in a few days, She needs to get an education on the issues. Does that sort of answer your question? I thank God you are all out there to talk to, to share with. I have been guided to the most AMAZING people I have ever met in my life. It may be a fight but to know I am not alone is empowering. Marie

Subject: Re: school issuesTo: sList Date: Thursday, October 2, 2008, 11:01 PM

In a message dated 10/2/2008 12:08:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, overtheriebow@ yahoo.com writes:

like they were going well, but now they have turned some what hostile

usually things turn hostile when you don't agree with what they want....what is it you want that they do not agree with?

Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.