RemedySpot.com

Re: Sugar in wine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Its actually quite the opposite. In most European countries it is illegal to add sugar to the grape must. It is legal to do so in Canada and the U.S.Serge

Thats what I thought also.

All The Best, LouDelicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL Living.

Portugal was one I think.

Debbie 38 crohn's

scd 1/07 (another restart soon)

PS-Is Balsamic Vinegar with zero sugar legal? Thanks.

Today's San Francisco Chronicle had this article about adding sugar towine. It sounds like if they add small judicious amounts to grapesthat were not ripe enough before fermentation, the sugar probably gets

used up and turns to alcohol. But since we don't really know ifthey're doing it right I guess we have avoid wines from France,Germany, Austria, New Zealand, and Oregon, and stick with wines fromCalifornia and Italy where they are not allowed to add sugar. (Who

remembers which other countries are OK - Chile? Australia?)To read the story, go to:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/29/WI2EV50OU.DTL & hw=wine+sugar & sn=002 & sc=506

Debbie T (UC 27 yrs, SCD 10/06, Lialda)

Here re emails that I have saved on the subject of wine. I hope something helps. Katy

Q: What wines are considered dry enough?

A1: All wines have a sweetness rating, also called a dryness rating. Sometimes it is on the bottle label, but usually it is only on the shelf tag in the store. The lower the number, the drier the wine (the less sweet). The sweetness of wine is dictated by the amount of sugar found in the finished wine (not in how much is added during fermentation).

0 … very dry

1-2 … off dry

3-4 … medium

5-6 … sweet

7-10 … very sweet

A2: I have had no problems with any cabernet, merlot, zinfandel, Bordeaux, syrah, or petit syrah. Cabernet is dryer than merlot. I'd be careful about jug wine for cooking, however, and red labels and ask the wine store manager if he's knowledgeable. Some of those have flavorings, and I wouldn't be surprised if they contained sugar, either. Some are fine, but you do have to be careful.

A3: I was told many years ago that any wine marked table wine on the bottle is a dry wine. This has totally worked for me.

A4: Also, in small letters somewhere on the label of wine, it lists the alcohol content. Usually 7.5% – 13.0%. The higher the number, the drier the wine. You can find a sweetness rating for wines at: www.alcoolnb.com/prod-search.asp

A5: I drink wine all the time and have from the beginning. There are actually residual sugar content scores that indicate dryness, but you often have to look them up at www.nbliquor.com/prod-search.asp or contact the winery to find out an exact rating. 00 is the driest. Most red wines are dry, like cabernet sauvignon, merlot, Chianti. Dry white wines includesauvignon blanc, pinot grigio, or chardonnay. Again, it depends on the winery, though. Someone in a wine shop should be able to help you with which are driest. Maybe a good way to start is to select which type of wine you like (red, white) and use the web site to find out which are 00 residual sugar, then select some in your price range to try (I think the prices on the site are Canadian), then see which you can find locally and see how you like them. Alas, my favorite is not on there: Coppola Claret; but I feel pretty confident that it is quite dry.

I've read this on the BTVC website:

------------------------------------------

writes:The exact level of residual sugar in a wine is measured and provided to us from each supplier in a quantity of grams per litre. This level is then compared with a table to see where it lies to indicate the sugar code. The table is as follows (0 is the driest):

Grams Sugar per litre Sugar Code0.0 to 4.9 - 05.0 to 14.9 - 115.0 to 24.9 - 225.0 to 34.9 - 335.0 to 44.9 - 445.0 to 54.9 - 555.0 to 64.9 - 665.0 to 74.9 - 775.0 to 84.9 - 885.0 to 94.9 - 9Etc.

One's impression of a wine's sweetness is sometimes influenced by the grape variety used in a particular wine. This may occur when a wine is not properly balanced between acidity and sweetness, or if a wine borders on either end of the sugar scale, making it appear that it is off by one number. As well, a typical Riesling may seem sweeter than indicated due to its fruity taste. In contrast, a red tannic wine may seem drier than indicated due to the bitter, mouth-drying characteristics of tannins. -------------------------------------------

Are you saying no wines from France or Chile?I'd guess that most wines from France or Chile are SCD legal. But we don't know which ones based merely on the label on the bottle. Instead, we have to fall back on other methods such as the Ontario codes. Is it just Ontario or is it Canada wide?Because the origin is always placed on the wine bottle, it provides an easy way to select an SCD wine. Just pick one from a place that outlaws the addition of sugar. So no further homework is required. It does omit lots of good wines that are SCD legal though.But California, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Australia make a heck of a lot of wine. So we aren't going to be left high and dry.

_____________________________________________________________Click now for great deals on quality business cards!

Its actually quite the opposite. In most European countries it is

illegal to add sugar to the grape must. It is legal to do so in Canada

and the U.S.

Serge

> Today's San Francisco Chronicle had this article about adding sugar to

> wine. It sounds like if they add small judicious amounts to grapes

> that were not ripe enough before fermentation, the sugar probably gets

> used up and turns to alcohol. But since we don't really know if

> they're doing it right I guess we have avoid wines from France,

> Germany, Austria, New Zealand, and Oregon, and stick with wines from

> California and Italy where they are not allowed to add sugar. (Who

> remembers which other countries are OK - Chile? Australia?)

>

> To read the story, go to:

> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/29/

> WI2EV50OU.DTL & hw=wine+sugar & sn=002 & sc=506

>

>

> Debbie T (UC 27 yrs, SCD 10/06, Lialda)

>

>

>

Not in France, however. I read a British article months ago that specifiedthat French wineries added sugar, but now, with the warmer weather thelast few years, they haven't had to. MaraIts actually quite the opposite. In most European countries it is illegal to add sugar to the grape must. It is legal to do so in Canada and the U.S.Serge Today's San Francisco Chronicle had this article about adding sugar to wine. It sounds like if they add small judicious amounts to grapes that were not ripe enough before fermentation, the sugar probably gets used up and turns to alcohol. But since we don't really know if they're doing it right I guess we have avoid wines from France, Germany, Austria, New Zealand, and Oregon, and stick with wines from California and Italy where they are not allowed to add sugar. (Who remembers which other countries are OK - Chile? Australia?) To read the story, go to:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/29/WI2EV50OU.DTL & hw=wine+sugar & sn=002 & sc=506 Debbie T (UC 27 yrs, SCD 10/06, Lialda)

Serge Duguay wrote:

> Its actually quite the opposite. In most European countries it is

> illegal to add sugar to the grape must. It is legal to do so in Canada

> and the U.S.

In the U.S. it varies by state. For example, adding sugar is legal in Oregon,

but not legal in California.

Tom