RemedySpot.com

RE: Re:Re: Food Sensitivities

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Kim,

Your story encourages me.

I'm not exactly sure what is happening for me. In the past I've been diagnosed with candida and had trouble controlling it. I've also had lots of food sensitivities which got some better.

Now I've unmasked more foods, and I'm finding the whole process interesting and challenging.

My worse challenge on SCD the past 16 days has been the detox. Although it may just be die-off, someone wonders if I'm having ketosis problems.

I think I need to be convinced that it's okay not to eat carbs and it won't damage my health even more. I know that when a person has food sensitivities that it's not advisable to fast. Also, I've come to believe that it's not advisable to diet; however, I'm trying the SCD.

I decided that maybe I'm not rigidly following the diet, so I won't use a sig any more. The two things I may not be doing legally are dilute lemon juice, using 100% organic concentrate lemon, which agrees with me. Also, I'm still taking my nutritional supplements some of the time. I often only take them once a day now, but that may not be enough.

Oh, the other thing which has been difficult the past two weeks are back aches. Although there are reasons for them other than the diet, my guess is that the diet is exasperating them, and possibly one or two foods are.

At this point, I'm eating:

sole, chicken, turkey

broth--yes, I finally got going and made good broth twice. I had to buy a stock pot.

mushrooms twice (but I likely need to cut them out, although they go down good)

zucchini, carrots, green beans

gradually testing a few other veggies

(I don't seem to have to worry about peeling them any more)

eggs every few days (doing better than I was)

testing cashew milk

testing pecan flour

eating a little bit of banana bread (but my home support will try making squash bread for Friday)

1/2 avocado (doing better than I thought I would)

pears sometimes

1/2 banana sometimes (but I'm thinking of cutting them out)

squash

I'm trying to keep to a correct combination of separating fruits and high carb from veggies and proteins, so I'm not eating squash with other veggies and protein. I'm not sure if the rest of you are into combinations or not, but my ND reminded me to do that. It's much easier on my digestive system, I think.

During the second week I tried stewed prunes a few times when I felt a bit constipated. They worked well, but I know I have to be careful about dried fruit. In general, my bowel movements have been good the whole time. Once in awhile a bit loose. The biggest difference is that they are rather thin. I'm not sure if that is a result of low fiber or low carbs or both.

When I added avocado, it helped, because I really felt as if I needed good fat.

spinach gave me a sensation in my throat, so I only tested it once and then quit

olive oil seems to not be good either, but I intend to test it again

I haven't done anything about yogurt yet. If I do, I guess I'll try nut milk yogurt.

I have neurological symptoms as a result of food and chemicals. One thing I notice is that I'm somewhat more peaceful and relaxed. However, I've gone through extra stress the past week or so, and things have been more difficult because of SCD.

I've had some muscle weakness, excessive fatigue, dizziness, insomnia, one nightmare, and much toxicity (poison taste in my mouth). My detox system does not work properly. I'm chemically toxic in my brain, CNS, and other parts of me. I have severe MCS plus ME/CFS and FM. I can't take detox baths because I don't have a bath, but sometimes I give myself a detox foot bath. Also, I use infrared lamps for 5 to 10 minutes. But I've been careful not to overdue them during this difficult time. I think the detox might be getting a bit better and last night I slept well.

Not sure what my questions are, but I guess it's the fact that someone has begun to get concerned about ketosis for me. I need to look it up! I remember a biochemist talking about it years ago when I was trying to get hypoglycemia under control.

Okay, I found this www.lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm

I guess all I need to do is test my urine with a dipstick or Ketostix. I'll probably do that. What I understand now is that my body is burning fat for energy. In 16 days I've lost 8.5 or 9 pounds. I think that is a bit fast, but I need to lose weight.

I've lost a total of about 22 pounds over the past 7.5 months. I was mostly following Dr. Phil's weight loss program before starting SCD.

Louise

-----Original Message-----From: BTVC-SCD [mailto:BTVC-SCD ]On Behalf Of kkmumbowerSent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:13 AMTo: BTVC-SCD Subject: Re:Re: Food Sensitivities

Hi Jane

I had lots and lots of food sensitivities when I started SCD. I also had lots of symptoms consistent with a candida/yeast overgrowth (major doses of antibiotics, poor digestive motility).

Yes, with hard work and patience I did get my candida levels back under control, and most of my food sensitivities disappeared. I still rotate a few vegetables, and I still have a few foods that I don't eat more than once every 2 or 3 months. But I no longer get hives and respiratory distress every time I eat. And I can eat more than five foods successfully.

It did take me about a year to get the worst of the candida symptoms under management, and then another year to feel I didn't have to be so vigilant. I still don't eat most of the "trigger" foods, simply because my digestion doesn't cope too well with them anyway. And I've learned the hard way not to eat things that my digestion can't break down, even if they're legal, because that leads to fermentation and a surge in yeast and bad bacteria.

During the 6 months when I was on my most drastic yeast elimination phase I was hungry all the time too. I just ate lots of the foods I could eat at that stage, made sure I ate lots of protein, and ate something every 2 hours.

It took time, but it was worth the struggle. I couldn't/can't tolerate antifungals or many medications or supplements. So it was food choices (and time) that helped me get my gut ecology back under good management.

Kim M.

SCD 4+ years

Sphincer of Oddi dysfunction, GP, IBS-C 5 years

various neurological dysfunctions 2+ years

"faulty gait mechanics" 6 months