RemedySpot.com

RE: Driving instructors in Miami dade

Rate this topic

Guest guest

,I can't reccommed anyone, but can give you some hints. I taught my son how to drive (mid-range autism), and it wasn't too bad. It did take about 3 months though. If it is a matter of worrying that your child will wreck the car you use for work etc., maybe if your budget allows, you could buy a car that runs and mechanically works, that has other flaws (body damage, interior damage, no radio etc.) for a couple hundred dollars and get the minimum insurance required to get tags. The first day you start with your son, get in the car and have him buckle in, adjust the seat and mirrors, and go over the controls. i.e. gear shift, turn signals, brakes, gas pedal, lights, wipers, etc. (Do not allow the radio to be turned on.)If your son isn't ready to give up, go over scenarios. What will you do if you have an emergency

vehicle come up behind you with lights and siren? What pedal do you step on if the car in front of you stops suddenly or someone steps in front of the car? (Have him physically press the gas pedal - this will also help him get the feel of it.) Remind your child that he should use the right foot for both the gas and the break to avoid accidently stepping on the wrong pedal. The next time you practice, review safety issues take a deep breath and take your son to an area that isn't very busy or to a large parking lot (a mall early on Sunday morning might work) and let him drive for a few minutes. You can use land marks and say things like: When you get to the planter start to break and press hard on the break when you get near the stop sign so you will stop at it. When you get just past the red truck, we are going to stop, use your signal look both ways and (if no one is coming) turn right (or left). You can

spend 15 minutes or more depending on your stress levels.Do this for several outings, and build his confidence (and yours.) When you both feel comfortable take him out early on a Sunday when the roads aren't too crowded and practice driving on roadways where there are traffic lights and a few more cars. When you think your son is ready, practice parking in an empty lot (using orange cones for guides) or at the drivers license station on a day when it isn't open for business (they have poles on either side of the space at ours). When he can park well , let him drive you to a neighborhood store and home again. In no time if you both relax he should learn to drive.I hope this helps. G.From: Ibarria

Subject: Driving instructors in Miami dadeTo: sList Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 2:33 PM

Hi , I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good and patient

driving instructor in Miami Dade

that has experience with a high functioning autistic teen. My husband and I have been trying to do it ourselves, but I

am too nervous and my husband yells too much. If anyone can recommend a

driving instructor that has experience and can patiently work with a child with

some attention issues and also with issues calculating space. Thanks,

This topic really sparked my curiousity since my daughter is almost 15. I assume the young men that are learning to drive passed the "written test" already(Are there any special courses for special needs kids)? Are there any other guidelines published as to "minimum menatal fitness" requirements?

To: sList From: hidden_garnet@...Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:09:47 -0700Subject: Re: Driving instructors in Miami dade

,I can't reccommed anyone, but can give you some hints. I taught my son how to drive (mid-range autism), and it wasn't too bad. It did take about 3 months though. If it is a matter of worrying that your child will wreck the car you use for work etc., maybe if your budget allows, you could buy a car that runs and mechanically works, that has other flaws (body damage, interior damage, no radio etc.) for a couple hundred dollars and get the minimum insurance required to get tags. The first day you start with your son, get in the car and have him buckle in, adjust the seat and mirrors, and go over the controls. i.e. gear shift, turn signals, brakes, gas pedal, lights, wipers, etc. (Do not allow the radio to be turned on.)If your son isn't ready to give up, go over scenarios. What will you do if you have an emergency vehicle come up behind you with lights and siren? What pedal do you step on if the car in front of you stops suddenly or someone steps in front of the car? (Have him physically press the gas pedal - this will also help him get the feel of it.) Remind your child that he should use the right foot for both the gas and the break to avoid accidently stepping on the wrong pedal. The next time you practice, review safety issues take a deep breath and take your son to an area that isn't very busy or to a large parking lot (a mall early on Sunday morning might work) and let him drive for a few minutes. You can use land marks and say things like: When you get to the planter start to break and press hard on the break when you get near the stop sign so you will stop at it. When you get just past the red truck, we are going to stop, use your signal look both ways and (if no one is coming) turn right (or left). You can spend 15 minutes or more depending on your stress levels.Do this for several outings, and build his confidence (and yours.) When you both feel comfortable take him out early on a Sunday when the roads aren't too crowded and practice driving on roadways where there are traffic lights and a few more cars. When you think your son is ready, practice parking in an empty lot (using orange cones for guides) or at the drivers license station on a day when it isn't open for business (they have poles on either side of the space at ours). When he can park well , let him drive you to a neighborhood store and home again. In no time if you both relax he should learn to drive.I hope this helps. G.

From: Ibarria <Dibarriabellsouth (DOT) net>Subject: Driving instructors in Miami dadeTo: sList Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 2:33 PM

Hi ,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good and patient driving instructor in Miami Dade that has experience with a high functioning autistic teen.

My husband and I have been trying to do it ourselves, but I am too nervous and my husband yells too much. If anyone can recommend a driving instructor that has experience and can patiently work with a child with some attention issues and also with issues calculating space.

Thanks,

When your life is on the go—take your life with you. Try Windows Mobile® today

My son took the written test and the anti drug and alcohol class that is required. I don't know if you can sit in on the class with them or not, but my son took it at the same time as a cousin who isn't on the spectrum so it went well. I don't know of any special courses for special needs kids, but if you call the Center for Independent Living in Broward, they might know of someone who teaches one. G.

From: Ibarria <Dibarriabellsouth (DOT) net>Subject: Driving instructors in Miami dadeTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 2:33 PM

Hi ,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good and patient driving instructor in Miami Dade that has experience with a high functioning autistic teen.

My husband and I have been trying to do it ourselves, but I am too nervous and my husband yells too much. If anyone can recommend a driving instructor that has experience and can patiently work with a child with some attention issues and also with issues calculating space.

Thanks,

My son took the written test and the anti drug and alcohol class that is required. I don't know if you can sit in on the class with them or not, but my son took it at the same time as a cousin who isn't on the spectrum so it went well. I don't know of any special courses for special needs kids, but if you call the Center for Independent Living in Broward, they might know of someone who teaches one. G.

From: Ibarria <Dibarriabellsouth (DOT) net>Subject: Driving instructors in Miami dadeTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 2:33 PM

Hi ,

Thanks,