Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

I cant speak for foundations as we never used them however, I

can tell you that when my daughter first started behavioral therapy (at age 2

at CPA in Weston), she screamed and bucked it all the way. As a matter of

fact, on her first session, she screamed straight for 2 hours until she passed

out on her own from exhaustion (I have this on video tape). The therapist

kept at her and would not give in…it was like a battle - so awful.

It felt like they were breaking her spirit but it was explained to be more that

is was more like breaking in a wild horse. She still bucks things to this

day – it is one of her areas of concern – “non compliance”.

But, I can only imagine how things would be if this issue was never addressed. It

is so hard to see this but it is meant to be helpful. Hang in there.

sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of tmm571

Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:40 PM

To: sList

Subject: Foundations Therapy - Coral Springs

Can anyone tell me anything about this Therapy

Center? My daughter is

new with them for ABA and is screaming the whole time. I feel bad to

keep her in there and I dont know if it is normal or if it will get

better for her.

Good morning....I know what you are feeling....my daughter started there at 2yrs old....she was there for 1 year.....and believe me the first 2-3 weeks was not fun....it was the same for me...but give it some time (specially if you are with the early steps intervention)....as you mostly will see very good progress....probably what they are doing right now is building her compliance....which she probably doesn't like....then if you really don't feel comfortable then you could ask for another therapist, but remember that you are going to start all over again with the crying but sometimes the change is good (follow your intuition)....but today i am grateful that my daughter and I didn't give up...as it did work out very well for us...you can call me at if you have more question or just need to talk

Nathalie

Subject: Foundations Therapy - Coral SpringsTo: sList Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 9:39 PM

Can anyone tell me anything about this Therapy Center? My daughter is new with them for ABA and is screaming the whole time. I feel bad to keep her in there and I dont know if it is normal or if it will get better for her.

What excelty is foundation therpay never heard of it. What do they do? thanks I live in Croal springs as well. Does your daugther go to school? My schol is in the complex place in trainls park in Parkland. He loves schoo and his teacher.Marcie Foundations Therapy - Coral SpringsTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 9:39 PM

Can anyone tell me anything about this Therapy Center? My daughter is new with them for ABA and is screaming the whole time. I feel bad to keep her in there and I dont know if it is normal or if it will get better for her.

>

> How much ABA is she getting?

>

>

>

>

>

> From: sList

[mailto:sList ] On

> Behalf Of a & Adam Giolito

> Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:05 AM

> To: sList

> Subject: Re: Foundations Therapy - Coral Springs

>

3x week 1 hr ea all different teachers

>

> Actually I think the crying is more the rule than the exception.

Depending

> on the severity the therapist might just wait her out until she

stops.

> Believe me, it is hurting you more than her. Therapist needs to

get control

> of the situation. I hope you are staying out of the room at this

stage

> because she will rely on you for support.

>

>

>

> From: sList

[mailto:sList ] On

> Behalf Of tmm571

> Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:40 PM

> To: sList

> Subject: Foundations Therapy - Coral Springs

>so far they havent asked me to leave the room

>

> From: tmm571 <tmm571yahoo (DOT) com>

> Subject: Foundations Therapy - Coral Springs

> To: sList@ yahoogroups. com

> Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 9:39 PM

>

>

> Can anyone tell me anything about this Therapy Center? My daughter

is

> new with them for ABA and is screaming the whole time. I feel bad

to

> keep her in there and I dont know if it is normal or if it will

get

> better for her.

>

She is only 23 months old so no school yet. Foundations does ABA

therapy

As others have said, screaming during inital sessions of ABA is quite normal. Ask yourself this question: do you (or anyone) ever require your daughter to do anything? To sit still for any amount of time? To comply with any requests? If you are like I was, before we began therapy, the answer to all of these would be "no". I usually just wanted to get through my days with my son as happy as possible.

But believe me, it is truly in her best interest to learn these things now. And she will get the hang of therapy before you know it! And she'll learn to love her therapists. We were at Foundations for a year -- through Early Steps, and then started the process to go private once my son turned 3. Sadly, we had to move out of the area, so we aren't there now -- but we would be, if we could!!

If you're going to Foundations through Early Steps, they will never ask you to leave the room. Because part of the idea of early intervention is teaching the parents how to work with their children. Teaching the teacher, so to speak. So watch and learn. The therapists at Foundations are wonderful. Be confident in the fact that you're in a good place. But if, for any reason, you have a concern, do not hesitate to let one of the owners know -- they are great ladies with hearts in the right place, and want only the best for the children they support.

Best of luck to you!

:-)

Subject: Foundations Therapy - Coral SpringsTo: sList Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 5:39 PM

A child does not need to go through this in order for therapy to be effective. I understand the concept is gaining instructional control, however, one can successfully do this (gain instructional control) in a natural environment without causing the aversive effects of the child hating/resenting the therapist and ABA in general.

We do not need to break our children down in order to teach them. Moreover, we want to teach our children to be intrinsically motivated, not extrinsically motivated, which is a key characteristic of autism.

Attached is an article to assist parents and others in gaining instructional control utilizing current best practices.

Foundations Therapy - Coral SpringsTo: sList Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 5:39 PM