RemedySpot.com

A powerful voting block in Ohio: the disabled

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is an FYI from the Association of University Centers for Excellence in Developmental DisabilitiesA powerful voting block in Ohio: the disabledBarack's Obama's former Chief Counsel has a son with Autism Spectrum

Op-Ed

by Mike Strautmanis

A long-time close personal friend of Barack and as well as the former Chief Counsel in Barack’s Senate office. Mike has a son who is on the autism spectrum. I think this op-ed will help crystallize that Barack Obama is the candidate for all Americans with disabilities, not only because he has a detailed four part Plan to Empower Americans with Disabilities, but also because he understands the barriers that need to be broken down to level the playing field for people in our community and is personally committed to the government breaking down those barriers.

My son Jori has a disability. He is on the Autism Spectrum. Jori is a daily gift to our family, but we face challenges. Fortunately, Jori has a friend named Barack Obama. Literally. Barack has watched Jori grow up. He stands by Jori, his mother, and me as we struggle with the barriers society places in the way of people with disabilities. Every American with a disability, or who has a loved one with a disability, should be fortunate enough to have a friend --- or even a President --- like Barack Obama.

I want our country to provide support to families like mine --- the families who face the practical, financial, and emotional challenges of a loved one with a disability. Jori has taught Barack about these challenges. These days, I work on the Obama-Biden campaign after serving on Barack’s Senate staff as his Chief Counsel since he arrived in Washington. But long before that, Barack and I were friends. He and have been a big part of our family’s life and a great help to my wife and me. To them, Jori is not a statistic; he’s a kid they see around town or at the office. They see how our family, which has more advantages than many, struggles to help Jori to get the care he needs, which is sometimes more than a loving family can provide, and the education he deserves, but few public schools have the resources to deliver.

When Barack gives a friendly hello to Jori, he shows his kindness; when he accommodates my schedule to enable me to be a fully engaged parent, he shows that he understands what families like ours go through. He understands that as a leader, he has an obligation to help us to keep all of America’s promises to our loved ones and give us the tools we need as parents to ensure that our children won’t be shortchanged.

As President, Barack will begin by creating a new White House post: Assistant to the President for Disability Policy. He will press Congress to pass the CLASS Act and the Community Choice Act to help Americans with disabilities to choose to live independently in the community and to help them pay for the direct care workers, assistive technology and other tools that make independent, community-based living possible. For our children, Barack will continue his fight for full funding of IDEA so that students with disabilities are assured of a free appropriate public education. Barack agrees that funding IDEA at less than half its authorized level is a disgrace, but he also understands that merely wringing more money out of Congress is not enough. His Secretary of Education will fully implement and enforce IDEA. Local school districts’ foot-dragging and resistance to IDEA, denying teachers what they need to serve kids with disabilities in the most inclusive possible setting, will no longer be tolerated.

It’s easy for me to say that my friend Barack will do these things, but this isn’t just friendship talking. I know he will do the right thing, for two reasons. First, there is his record: As an Illinois state senator Barack Obama sponsored legislation that created an autism spectrum diagnosis program, designed to implement evidence-based best practices. Barack worked with Illinois families to build the Easter Seals academic programs that prepare students for independent living. Moreover, Barack helped pass Illinois’ mental health parity law as a State Senator. Barack understands that we need universal screening, education and early intervention strategies for all children, but especially children with disabilities. That’s why he intends to provide $10 billion per year in funding for developmental programs serving children between birth and age five. Barack has long supported the Family and Medical Leave Act; as President, he will expand it and help the states create paid leave systems to ease the tough choices that are faced every day by working families providing support to a disabled member.

But there is a second reason that I have faith that a President Obama will fight for people with disabilities, and one that I find more compelling: I have seen Barack Obama with my son and other people with disabilities. I have seen how he puts his arm on Jori’s shoulder, how he smiles at Jori and speaks to him as the person that he is. I see his understanding that Jori and every other American with a disability is a fellow child of God with potential worth developing and dignity worth protecting. I see this and I know that Barack understands why I would do anything to secure real opportunity for that precious child, why any parent in my place would do the same. I see that Barack Obama comprehends all of that, and he wants to help us get there. And I know that if we can help Barack Obama to get to the White House, he will do more than any President ever has done to help those of us who love and care for loved ones with disabilities to achieve everything they can achieve. I know this man. So does Jori. And he gives us hope.The Association of University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities for Public Policy Page has compiled a number of 2008 Presidential Election Resourcesat http://www.aucd.org/template/page.cfm?id=27

Stay organized with simple drag and drop from Windows Live Hotmail. Try it