RemedySpot.com

Fwd: Adult Day Care--Waiting Lists and elimination of other services

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Play online games for FREE at Games.com! All of your favorites, no registration required and great graphics – check it out!

To:

Ven Sequenzia, Jr., PresidentAutism Society of AmericaState of Florida Chapter

Dear Mr Sequenzia and all our Political Units, Advocates and Reporters,

As stated in your letter, referenced and attached below, for those who may have missed it, this is the "beginning of a huge crisis" I must agree and without hesitation- add "there is a crisis at hand and has been for some time".

However; we must thank you for the pragmatic and detailed message to our legislators and community regarding the elimination of funding for the Disabled. As it not only included Adult Centers, it's hue and cry as presented to all, including our Politicos and Political Units was a much needed voice, and hopefully will add to the kick-starting in progress and due attention to the lack of funds and programs and medical needs addressed has caused much neglect and abuse, for those many voiceless ones we mutually represent, regardless of choice of residence or issue.

To be more specific of examples of abuse and neglect I point out that no funding for those with Audio, Dental, and Speech issues who are not presently enrolled in medical programs and on the waiting list(s) for services which is often mentioned as somewhere between 15,000 and 17,000 individuals. These very services are available at our State Campuses where an advocacy is diligently being pursued by DSI Supporters Inc. so all individuals may avail themselves of these and other services/facilities provided by licensed and properly trained medical staff with many usually available on a 24/7 basis. Also; Community Centers and Day Care Facilities are available on these Campuses. Though not all State Campuses are geographically desirable for many the available remaining locations are ideal for many. We must utilize all these resources by using all to its optimum capacity/capability. This concept is practiced in many other States.

Thanking you all in advance for your continued attention and support for all of the Disability Community, but, we must do more, as its a crisis among crisis's.

Sincerely, Ed Carraway ---------Mr. Sequenzia's letter is attached below.

DSI Supporters Inc. The only Statewide organization advocating for a full range of residential and support options for people with mental retardation and Developmental Disabilities. Including Medicaid-certified Intermediate Care Facilities (ICF's/DD), DSI's, and home and community based care. DSI supports choice with families/guardians being major stakeholders/decisions makers. Federal Medicaid Policy Supports an individual's right to choose where they receive Medicaid services for which they are eligible. States are required by FEDERAL LAW to offer individuals who are eligible for Medicaid home and community Based Waiver Services the CHOICE BETWEEN COMMUNITY-BASED CARE under the WAIVER PROGRAM or INSTITUTIONAL SERVICES.Developmental Disabilities Assistance & Bill of Rights ActIndividuals with Developmental Disabilities and their FAMILIES are the PRIMARY DECISION MAKERS regarding the services and support such individuals and their families receive. Including regarding choosing where the individuals live from available options, and play decision making roles in policies and programs that affect the lives of such individuals and their families. Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of rights Act, 423 U.S.C., S2001©(3). DD ACT is the federal authorizing statue for the Advocacy Center. A. Carraway, PresidentDSI Supporters Inc. Supporters of Residential ChoiceAn All Volunteer OrganizationVirginia L. Caraway RN BSN PHN CDDN, Secretary95294 Twin Oaks LaneFernandina Beach, Fl 32034 direct toll free faxDSIsupportersInc@...

Mr. Ven Sequenza Jr, President. Autism Society of America----writes:

Dear Governor Crist, Speaker of the House Rubio and Senate President Pruitt:

I am not sure if you have read this article about the only program that serves adults with developmental disabilities in Naples is closing in a month? This is just the beginning of a huge crisis that is hitting the state of Florida's developmental disability population. The recent cuts in the budget are systematically undoing years of hard work and efforts by providers and families to provide a meaningful life to our most vulnerable citizens. You cannot tell me that it is okay to have the only program in a county close. You cannot tell me that it is okay to have our adults with developmental disabilities sit at home and just exist. You cannot tell me that you can sit by and let this continue to happen. I beg you to stop the bleeding and appropriately fund these programs.

In Brevard County, the Achievement Center that has been in existence for 40 years, recently closed its Adult Day Training program in Melbourne. Now they have the one location in Rockledge and families are expected to drive over an hour to get their adult child to that program or else they are in the same boat as the families in Naples. That is made even more difficult, because the transportation funding decreased as well. A family whose son lives at home is now investigating a group home near the Rockledge location. This means that the cuts that were implemented will actually cost the state an additional $30,000.00 or more for this one client, because the program closed. Multiply that by the 4,500 people who have appealed their tier placement and you can see what your actions have done. The cuts will actually end up costing Florida taxpayers more.

I have lived in Florida most of my life and I must say that it makes me sick to my stomach that we can all just look people in the face and say we don't have the money. That is a lie. The state of Florida wastes more money in a week, then it would cost to fix this problem.

In today's addition of Florida Today newspaper one of the Republican candidates for the state legislature stated there is $16 billion dollars in the budget that is considered non-essential. So those non-essential programs are more important than the most vulnerable in our society? Because some of that money could have been diverted to avoid this crisis. The amount of funding that has been cut from the Agency for Disabilities budget is only about $100 million dollars. If we have $16 billion that is non-essential, then why hasn't anyone funded these programs appropriately? Please don't tell me that it is complicated. It isn't complicated. It is very simple.

This is an emergency. This needs to be addressed before more programs close. Please do not pass the buck and say we have to wait until the next session. I request that you have a special session to address the plight of the developmental disability community NOW.

There are group homes closing. There are programs closing. There are families that are scared to death. Are you proud of your accomplishments in this area? Well, you shouldn't be. The state of Florida is number 49 in the country for social services spending and funding for persons with developmental disabilities.

Please don't make us wait any longer. Please don't ignore our population. Families and caregivers of persons with disabilities make up about 15-20% of the voters in this state. I promise you, that we are not going away. We are here to stay and we want action. Why is it that there always has to be a lawsuit to get Florida to do the right thing? We don't want any more lawsuits. WE WANT ACTION BY THE PEOPLE THAT WE ELECTED INTO OFFICE.

Regards, Ven Sequenzia, Jr. PresidentAutism Society of AmericaState of Florida Chapter

Play online games for FREE at Games.com! All of your favorites, no registration required and great graphics – check it out!