RemedySpot.com

Re: Help! My daughter is chewing all the wood in my house!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Your child has Pica......children who eat inanimate objects. The reason why children do this is because they are nutrient deprived and are looking for nutrients. It's a severe zinc and iron deficiency.

You need to treat the GI tract to get absorption going and start her on zinc and iron - the health food stores sell a liquid herbal iron by Floridix or Nature's Way and there is a liquid Ionic Zinc. Also I would buy liquid chlorophyll also by Nature's Way. Liquid Chlorophyll will increase the hemoglobin in the cells. B-12 Methylcobalamin and Folinic Acid will also help increase the hemoglobin.

My son had severe pica...it took a long time, but a nutritional protocol and a lot of GI work will stop the issue.

Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot 5 Travel Deals!

You should try chewy tubes for sensory, www.specialkidszone.com

Good luck..

[mailto:sList ] On

Behalf Of tmm571

Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008

7:13 PM

To: sList

Subject: Help! My

daughter is chewing all the wood in my house!

Has anyone heard of this or dealt with this? It all

started out when

my daughter used to chew through the crib rails until I threw the crib

out and let her sleep in pack and play. Now she chews the side of her

bedroom door and also the edges of my dining room table. I dont know

what to do. This is toxic chemicals she is eating. She doesnt have

pica because she is not eating dirt or mulch or things like that. She

does mouth alot of objects but she really is like eating wood!

Chewing gum has helped my 5 yr old daughter quite a bit.

We still have issues but it is a great and natural replacement for the paper or

card board boxes that she so loves to chew. It has even been allowed for

her at school and is part of her IEP. I was told that Wrigley’s is

GFCF. Good luck.

sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of tmm571

Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 7:13 PM

To: sList

Subject: Help! My daughter is chewing all the wood in my

house!

Has anyone heard of this or dealt with this? It

all started out when

my daughter used to chew through the crib rails until I threw the crib

out and let her sleep in pack and play. Now she chews the side of her

bedroom door and also the edges of my dining room table. I dont know

what to do. This is toxic chemicals she is eating. She doesnt have

pica because she is not eating dirt or mulch or things like that. She

does mouth alot of objects but she really is like eating wood!

CyberDefender has scanned this email for potential threats.

Version 2.0 / Build 4.03.29.01

Get free PC security at http://www.cyberdefender.com

Pica is not just about eating mulch or dirt/I wouldn't rule it out just yet. I would consider some type of deficiency also- Best of luck!

Subject: Help! My daughter is chewing all the wood in my house!To: sList Date: Monday, November 3, 2008, 7:13 PMHas anyone heard of this or dealt with this? It all started out when my daughter used to chew through the crib rails until I threw the crib out and let her sleep in pack and play. Now she chews the side of her bedroom door and also the edges of my dining room table. I dont know what to do. This is toxic chemicals she is eating. She doesnt have pica because she is not eating dirt or mulch or things like that. She does mouth alot of objects but she really is like eating wood! ------------------------------------

Pica is not just about eating mulch or dirt/I wouldn't rule it out just yet. I would consider some type of deficiency also- Best of luck!

Subject: Help! My daughter is chewing all the wood in my house!To: sList Date: Monday, November 3, 2008, 7:13 PMHas anyone heard of this or dealt with this? It all started out when my daughter used to chew through the crib rails until I threw the crib out and let her sleep in pack and play. Now she chews the side of her bedroom door and also the edges of my dining room table. I dont know what to do. This is toxic chemicals she is eating. She doesnt have pica because she is not eating dirt or mulch or things like that. She does mouth alot of objects but she really is like eating wood! ------------------------------------

HI,

My daughter did the same thing, she has autism, and she also has Pica. However, remember even children without autism chew on table legs cribs etc. The def. that I was told) for Pica, is ..if your child is eating anything Non-ediable than this is part of a Pica condition. Unfortunatly my daughter eats more than just wood. She started out that way, (teething on her crib, then it went to eating board books etc. and paper)and this has lead to other objects as she got older (not that this will happen to your daughter. ) In my dauhters case she had two problems going on. The first was she was seeking oral input/stim. My best advise is to contact an experienced SLP. They will be able to help you figure out some reasons for her oral stims seeking behaviors. The chewy tubes are great, and there are even certain toys that vibrate that are especially designed for the mouth.We also used

to partially freeze a washcloth and let her chew it, this helped her a lot. There are also special tech. that a trainned SLP in this area can show you. We did this and it helped. For my daughter, she loved ice (which to some people can be a sign of pica..at least in our case it was) However, this too was an oral input my daughter was seeking she loves to cold feeling on her teeth,. She has Low/ Hypo sensativities, therefore she seeks it out. She also loves anything acidic like lemons! Go firgure.

Pica does not mean a person has to eat a specific type of things/objects. Like dirt or mulch etc. or even stool (which can be in addition to it in some cases..thankfully not ours.) It is a condition where the person eats ANY type of in ediable object. However, either of these behaviors/conditions can be a danger. We had to go to several different docotrs before we got help for my daughter. In some cases..but not all. Some children can lack iron (theses are usually in thePica cases..but most cases will have a negative result.) I would seek out a GI doctor as well. We use Dr. Lawereance in Boca/WPB. He seems to have the best bedside manner, and seems to be very understanding.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. Remember to contact more than one doctor for an opinion.

Remember this is jsut my opinion...but belive me I haVE THE STORIES TO BACK IT UP! lol...

Kriss

To: sList Sent: Monday, November 3, 2008 7:13:19 PMSubject: Help! My daughter is chewing all the wood in my house!

Has anyone heard of this or dealt with this? It all started out when my daughter used to chew through the crib rails until I threw the crib out and let her sleep in pack and play. Now she chews the side of her bedroom door and also the edges of my dining room table. I dont know what to do. This is toxic chemicals she is eating. She doesnt have pica because she is not eating dirt or mulch or things like that. She does mouth alot of objects but she really is like eating wood!

HI,

My daughter did the same thing, she has autism, and she also has Pica. However, remember even children without autism chew on table legs cribs etc. The def. that I was told) for Pica, is ..if your child is eating anything Non-ediable than this is part of a Pica condition. Unfortunatly my daughter eats more than just wood. She started out that way, (teething on her crib, then it went to eating board books etc. and paper)and this has lead to other objects as she got older (not that this will happen to your daughter. ) In my dauhters case she had two problems going on. The first was she was seeking oral input/stim. My best advise is to contact an experienced SLP. They will be able to help you figure out some reasons for her oral stims seeking behaviors. The chewy tubes are great, and there are even certain toys that vibrate that are especially designed for the mouth.We also used

to partially freeze a washcloth and let her chew it, this helped her a lot. There are also special tech. that a trainned SLP in this area can show you. We did this and it helped. For my daughter, she loved ice (which to some people can be a sign of pica..at least in our case it was) However, this too was an oral input my daughter was seeking she loves to cold feeling on her teeth,. She has Low/ Hypo sensativities, therefore she seeks it out. She also loves anything acidic like lemons! Go firgure.

Pica does not mean a person has to eat a specific type of things/objects. Like dirt or mulch etc. or even stool (which can be in addition to it in some cases..thankfully not ours.) It is a condition where the person eats ANY type of in ediable object. However, either of these behaviors/conditions can be a danger. We had to go to several different docotrs before we got help for my daughter. In some cases..but not all. Some children can lack iron (theses are usually in thePica cases..but most cases will have a negative result.) I would seek out a GI doctor as well. We use Dr. Lawereance in Boca/WPB. He seems to have the best bedside manner, and seems to be very understanding.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. Remember to contact more than one doctor for an opinion.

Remember this is jsut my opinion...but belive me I haVE THE STORIES TO BACK IT UP! lol...

Kriss

To: sList Sent: Monday, November 3, 2008 7:13:19 PMSubject: Help! My daughter is chewing all the wood in my house!

Has anyone heard of this or dealt with this? It all started out when my daughter used to chew through the crib rails until I threw the crib out and let her sleep in pack and play. Now she chews the side of her bedroom door and also the edges of my dining room table. I dont know what to do. This is toxic chemicals she is eating. She doesnt have pica because she is not eating dirt or mulch or things like that. She does mouth alot of objects but she really is like eating wood!

My daughter used to chew EVERYTHING. The therapist said it was because she wasn't talking yet and her jaw needed stimulation. I got aquarium tubing and would string ribbon through a 4" piece. She had one in each color to match her outfits. She wore them as a necklace at all times and LOVED chewing on them. Now....5 years later she grinds her teeth....so I'm big on chewing gum.

Jayne

Mikismom

-------------- Original message from " Steinman" : --------------

Good luck..

From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of tmm571Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 7:13 PMTo: sList Subject: Help! My daughter is chewing all the wood in my house!

My daughter used to chew EVERYTHING. The therapist said it was because she wasn't talking yet and her jaw needed stimulation. I got aquarium tubing and would string ribbon through a 4" piece. She had one in each color to match her outfits. She wore them as a necklace at all times and LOVED chewing on them. Now....5 years later she grinds her teeth....so I'm big on chewing gum.

Jayne

Mikismom

-------------- Original message from " Steinman" : --------------

Good luck..

From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of tmm571Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 7:13 PMTo: sList Subject: Help! My daughter is chewing all the wood in my house!

God Bless you Janet...if you need any help just called....561 482-2855

There is another mom in Port St. Lucie that has three as well. AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and all other Holiday needs. Search Now.

Just de-lurking here for a minute and others to tell you how

much I appreciate your contributions to this list. I have have 3

autistic children, 19, 7 and 5, and I have learned so much here that

has helped me understand and cope with our " unique " circumstances

and keep at least some sanity. Thank you.

Very appreciatively,

Janet

Miami

> Your child has Pica......children who eat inanimate objects. The

reason why children do this is because they are nutrient deprived

and are looking for nutrients. It's a severe zinc and iron

deficiency.

My son had severe pica...it took a long time, but a nutritional

protocol and a lot of GI work will stop the issue.

>

>

Thank you ! God Bless you and everyone here too.

Janet

>

> God Bless you Janet...if you need any help just called....561 482-

>

> There is another mom in Port St. Lucie that has three as well.

> **************AOL Search: Your one stop for directions, recipes and

all other

> Holiday needs. Search Now.

> (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212792382x1200798498/aol?

redir=http://searchblog.aol.com/2008/11/04/happy-holidays-from

> -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

>