RemedySpot.com

Re:Re: Need More Guidance re: undigested foods- UC Newbie

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

na

I wouldn't worry about seeing undigested food in your BMs at this point. You're in the first detoxing stage, so you can expect to see lots of odd things. Also your body will react oddly to the changes and detoxing too, so there will be lots of ups and downs at first. I had undigested food in my BMs for about a year, but the amount steadily became less and less.

But your body may not be tolerating the foods you're currently eating. I couldn't eat most of the intro. foods, and couldn't follow the suggested guidelines for introducing foods. Through trial and error I figured out which foods were the easiest for my digestion, and those are the ones I use when I go back to the intro. diet after a symptom flare. Through trial and error I worked out a core group of foods that were easiest on my digestion and stayed with this group for 2 years. I didn't add a "new" food very often until my 3rd year on SCD because my body would usually react badly.

Check that you aren't getting any hidden illegals. Does your chicken have "flavoring solutions"? That is something you want to avoid. I have to always read the fine print on meat packages. You often have to search for meat that isn't "enhanced" with illegals.

Maybe your body can't handle carrots or butternut squash every day. Maybe you need to eat more protein than vegetables. Maybe you need to try a different flavor of juice in your gelatin, maybe the squares are too dense and you need to have the looser type (where you need a bowl). There is a lot of trial and error at the beginning.

I'm afraid that losing weight is something that doesn't improve until you've been on SCD for a while and your intestines have healed more. The best you can hope for is to not lose too much, but just hold your own. But after a year (or less or more, depending) you'll suddenly find you're gaining weight steadily and easily.

I found that when I started SCD I had to change my eating habits just to maintain energy and not be completely exhausted. I eat something every 2 to 3 hours, small meals. Since we don't eat complex carbs we have to refuel more often.

Just some suggestions. Each of us has to fine-tune SCD to suit our bodies, especially in the beginning. Our bodies aren't ready for some of the legal foods. It also takes a while to get all the hidden illegals identified and removed. You are going through the hardest part right now, so hang onto the thought that it will get better -- soon.

Kim M.

SCD 4+ years