RemedySpot.com

Re: Healing Well?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've never been there until you mentioned it. I found a thread on the second page regarding SCD and only one person said it didn't help them. Everyone else had good reviews.

http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=17 & m=1032268

I think it may be common for support groups to be strict about diets. Some groups, you aren't allowed to even talk about it and it gets kind of nasty :-). I found the diet by someone who was booted from a group from talking about SCD. It depends on the forum owners. With all the other changes going on in a person's life, nobody wants their food limited also.

Debbie 38 crohn's

scd restart 1/07

OK, I may be naive when it comes to UC and Scd, being new to both, but can anyone answer why so many on Healing Well seem to say that diet has nothing to do with their UC symptoms? I realize I was lucky in finding

SCD prior to my being diagnosed. But how can those who have never experienced remission so disregard their diet.Maybe my experience isn't normal, but scd and meds have made a huge difference in my life, albeit the past 4 months. As I tell friends and

family it is easy to follow a diet when you know the result of not will be agonizing abdominal pain and rectal bleeding. Geez, I can tell when I eat more than the 1/3 a piece of gum I allow myself on work days.

And yet I read of others eating large amounts or rice or pasta and still having explosive d. Well duh.Please the more experienced of you, hit me with your wisdom sticks!

OK, now thanks to you I have the link to the discussion at Healing Well.I've had to, or chosen to diet all my life as before SCD I had obesity issues with fluctuating weight. At one point I reached 219 pounds. I am currently at 145 and have been for eight years.I had extreme mood swings and manic-depressive episodes but not a one since SCD.For many changing the diet is difficult and downright annoying but for me the opposite has applied. I have always approached each new diet with excitement and hope that it would bring the promised improvements.I hit the jackpot with SCD as a management diet for the celiac disease I only contracted eight years ago as I was turning 70. SCD is NOT a weight loss diet but I am going to make a reference to Weight Watchers because of the similar success experienced through dedicated adherence. Both are strict diets but each has a different purpose. In 1968 I lost 70 pounds in seven months at Weight Watchers and I never deviated from the strict diet, never.So when I read up on the protocols of SCD, I was mentally prepared to walk the line. It paid off in alleviating pain and discomfort but as you can well imagine, over an eight year period there have been errors, regressions and adverse reactions to a few things. Now was I able to take back conventional foods? Well after all these years I decided to give myself permission to try rice and it went very well. However, being starch addicted I craved more and more rice cakes and decided it is not good to have a package at home.My objective never was to get back SCD illegal foods, just to manage my allergies, sensitivities and food intolerance and I can state that SCD has been most helpful in that aspect.So instead of objecting to its strictness, I have entertained myself with creating recipes and remaining on support groups.Now rock climbing and snow boarding are really more difficult :-) When life hands you a lemon you turn it into SCD Lemon Chicken! I've never been there until you mentioned it.  I found a thread on the second page regarding SCD and only one person said it didn't help them.  Everyone else had good reviews.   http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=17 & m=1032268   I think it may be common for support groups to be strict about diets.  Some groups, you aren't allowed to even talk about it and it gets kind of nasty :-).  I found the diet by someone who was booted from a group from talking about SCD.  It depends on the forum owners.  With all the other changes going on in a person's life, nobody wants their food limited also.   Carol F.Celiac, SCD 8 years,MCS, Latex Allergyhttp://www.celiac.com/authors/143/Carol-Frileghhttp://www.talkaboutcuringautism.org/gfcf-diet/sc-diet.htm

At 05:04 AM 2/5/2008, you wrote:

can anyone answer why so many on

Healing Well seem to say that diet has nothing to do with their UC

symptoms?

Simple: that's what they've been taught by their doctors. It's also, if

you read what the CCFA says, their bottom line.

Forgive me for sounding cynical here for a moment, but our suffering with

gut issues represents Big Bucks for doctors and the pharmaceutical firms.

If we do something radical, like curing ourselves by eating healthy food,

this source of revenue goes out the window. Not only that, but if we

demand unadulterated food, non-processed, etc., then we interfere with

the profits of all the agri-business firms. They spend billions on

" product development " and advertising. But we, on SCD, don't

need their products. We make our own. And in this day and age, being

self-sufficient is almost sacriligious.

This is not to say that doctors and medications do not have their place.

Sometimes we NEED them. But think about it: our guts are what digest and

absorb our food. How can they NOT be affected by what we stuff down their

for them to process?

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Thanks to all who replied.

I really wasn't pointing to a specific discussion on Healing Well,

just numerous posts from people. There are some on there who follow

SCD, but the general theme of others is the " I know food doesn't

cause my symptoms " line.

I have to agree with you Marilyn, it is what the docs are teaching

out there. Unfortunately, docs aren't taught about nutrition, and

quickly hand off to dieticians when any concerns arise. I guess we

here at BTVC are the true pioneers, trying to take control of our

lives outside of the box of modern medicine.

UC 1/08

SCD 12/07

> >can anyone answer why so many on Healing Well

> >seem to say that diet has nothing to do with their UC symptoms?

>

> Simple: that's what they've been taught by their

> doctors. It's also, if you read what the CCFA says, their bottom

line.

>

> Forgive me for sounding cynical here for a

> moment, but our suffering with gut issues

> represents Big Bucks for doctors and the

> pharmaceutical firms. If we do something radical,

> like curing ourselves by eating healthy food,

> this source of revenue goes out the window. Not

> only that, but if we demand unadulterated food,

> non-processed, etc., then we interfere with the

> profits of all the agri-business firms. They

> spend billions on " product development " and

> advertising. But we, on SCD, don't need their

> products. We make our own. And in this day and

> age, being self-sufficient is almost sacriligious.

>

> This is not to say that doctors and medications

> do not have their place. Sometimes we NEED them.

> But think about it: our guts are what digest and

> absorb our food. How can they NOT be affected by

> what we stuff down their for them to process?

>

>

> — Marilyn

> New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

> Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

> Darn Good SCD Cook

> No Human Children

> Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

>