RemedySpot.com

RE: Almond Flour substitute??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Mitch wrote:"My daughter is allergic to nuts. One of her triggers is almonds so I don't want to put her in potential harms way by bringing this into our house....Are there any substitutes for almond flour that would be legal?"------------------------------Hi Mitch,I'm allergic to almonds (and other tree nuts) too, so never bake with almond flour. As a result, I have only minimal experience with including bread-like products in my version of SCD. At the outset, realizing I'd really miss bready things, I tried using peanut butter (since peanuts are legumes, and not nuts, I can eat them) as a substitute for cashew butter in some of the baked goods recipes. I was surprised to find that baking with peanut butter is

easier than I thought. Also surprised by the fact that baked goods made with peanut butter don't necessarily taste "peanutty". In the end, I quit using peanuts because my gut doesn't handle them well.After peanuts, I experimented with using white bean and/or lentil paste, and had somewhat successful results, but haven't perfected that yet. The major trouble I'm having is that the outermost part of the bread cooks well but the inside stays too moist and then sinks and gets soggy. The flavour of beans/lentils is very neutral, and it's easy to adapt the taste to what you require simply by adding salt or sugar or herbs or spices.Finally, I would like to try using coconut flour, but have only thusfar started researching how to procure it. I have no actual experience cooking/baking with it yet. I've heard that coconut flour goods taste really coconutty, which isn't what I'm looking for. I'd like a neutral flour taste for things, so that I can flavour

them the way I want to. If you'd like more details feel free to write me off-list. I admire your dedication to keeping your daughter safe. My nut allergy is life-threatening, so I always appreciate awareness and sensitivity to this issue.Best, Nina in MA__________________________________________________

Guest guest

I wrote:"The flavour of beans/lentils is very neutral, and it's easy to adapt the taste to what you require simply by adding salt or sugar or herbs or spices"I now correct myself:It's easy to adapt by adding salt or HONEY or herbs or spices.Pardon my spaciness: I must be overtired today. Sugar isn't legal on SCD, of course. :-)

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Guest guest

I'm not sure if pea flour is legal, but that might be an idea.

The reason I thought of it is because my ND suggested I use pea protein powder, since I can't have rice protein powder now. I haven't tried it or checked the ingredients yet.

Louise

My daughter is allergic to nuts. One of her triggers is almonds so I don't want to put her in potential harms way by bringing this into our house....Are there any substitutes for almond flour that would be legal?

Guest guest

It isn't legal, see http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_o-s.htmBest wishes,Kim H. husband, , CD 1999SCD 2002I'm not sure if pea flour is legal, but that might be an idea.

The reason I thought of it is because my ND suggested I use pea protein powder, since I can't have rice protein powder now. I haven't tried it or checked the ingredients yet.

Louise

_._,___

Guest guest

Just a couple of notes...bean paste, lentil paste and bean flour should be prepared at home so that you are sure that the beans are properly soaked. Also, Elaine recommended only using this sparingly and not as a substitute in all recipes. I realize that this is not an option for some of you but please keep in mind that it should only be used in small amounts. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/knowledge_base/kb/bean_flour.htmSecondly, I've read that coconut flour can be very hard on the system as it is very fibrous so be careful with it.And about baking and getting done on the edges and not in the

middle....maybe reducing the temperature and increasing the baking time would help. Best wishes,Kim H. husband, , CD 1999SCD 2002 Mitch wrote:"My daughter is allergic to nuts. One of her triggers is almonds so I don't want to put her in potential harms way by bringing this into our house....Are there any substitutes for almond flour that would be

legal?"------------ --------- ---------Hi Mitch,I'm allergic to almonds (and other tree nuts) too, so never bake with almond flour. As a result, I have only minimal experience with including bread-like products in my version of SCD. At the outset, realizing I'd really miss bready things, I tried using peanut butter (since peanuts are legumes, and not nuts, I can eat them) as a substitute for cashew butter in some of the baked goods recipes. I was surprised to find that baking with peanut butter is easier than I thought. Also surprised by the fact that baked goods made with peanut butter don't necessarily taste "peanutty". In the end, I quit using peanuts because my gut doesn't handle them well.After peanuts, I experimented with using white bean and/or lentil paste, and had somewhat successful results, but haven't perfected that yet. The major trouble I'm having is that the outermost part of the bread cooks well but the inside

stays too moist and then sinks and gets soggy. The flavour of beans/lentils is very neutral, and it's easy to adapt the taste to what you require simply by adding salt or sugar or herbs or spices.Finally, I would like to try using coconut flour, but have only thusfar started researching how to procure it. I have no actual experience cooking/baking with it yet. I've heard that coconut flour goods taste really coconutty, which isn't what I'm looking for. I'd like a neutral flour taste for things, so that I can flavour them the way I want to. If you'd like more details feel free to write me off-list. I admire your dedication to keeping your daughter safe. My nut allergy is life-threatening, so I always appreciate awareness and sensitivity to this issue.Best, Nina in MA