RemedySpot.com

cost for SCD

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have a limited budget and I haven't analyzed everything yet, but I think using nuts for milk and using nuts in baking are likely one of the biggest challenges financially for me. There were not enough veggies this past week because my home support worker found organic pecans to make me milk and squash loaf. I didn't know that they cost so much.

Part of the problem is testing foods, and finding out I can't tolerate them, so I'm going to not test as much for awhile. However, I am testing goat yogurt right now--that only cost me the milk. I already had some starter. It was finished last night and I tried about 3/4 tsp and I tried that again today. I figure I'll go slowly.

I bought a cheap stock pot, but I don't think there has been any other equipment. Fortunately I already had bought a Cuisine yogurt maker last year. I bought a Magic Bullet Blender on sale earlier this year, and it's probably good enough for now.

I made a decision not to get candida/enzyme/parasite testing done which I had been considering. Instead the money will go towards setting me up a little better for the SCD.

If you have thoughts about what are the most important things to buy, let me know.

I ordered the two new cookbooks discounted at Amazon.ca, but they are out right now, so it will take a bit of time. I wasn't able to get the updated version of BTVC, and I'll be taking back the old library version soon, so I need to buy it sometime.

I ordered one bottle of dairy-free acidophilus capsules from Kirkman's.

I don't have a thermometer, so I need to get that.

I've got my ND's office investigating a few supplements. I like Metagenics products a lot and I'm partially on the methylation block program for CFS/Autism. Interestingly, they seem to have recently removed croscarmellose sodium from one of the products.

I think eventually most people find it's cheaper to eat SCD, don't they? I suppose it depends on what we compare it too, though. I was already on a different diet than most people. I think what was cheaper was organic soy milk and organic rice flour rather than using organic nuts. What I hope will happen is that I'll be able to eat the cheaper nuts, but so far I'm just trying what seems best for my health.

Louise

Guest guest

Hi Louise: Like you, I only purchased a yogurt maker and stock pot. I've been on the diet since Jan 5 and saved about $50-75 a month. I know this because I keep a record of how much I spend each month on food at the grocery store and eating out (separately of course). I went from spending about $350 a month on food and $125 a month on eating out. Now I spend about $400 a month on food and about $25 eating out (for my daughter since I can't eat out). So, for me SCD has been less expensive. I live on a very tight budget (the reason I itemize every penny I spend a month into a category). However, I don't buy organic as often as I would like. I do go to the farmer's market every Saturday and buy a lot of stuff locally. So, I don't think you need to have a lot of

extra stuff initially to be successful on the diet. There are some things I want to get like a dehydrator and food processor, but those things will have to come later when I can afford them. Good luck, Misty Kimble , LA CD SCD Jan 5 08

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.