RemedySpot.com

Re:Re: muscle twitches

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Deb

I have had to regularly boost my magnesium, potassium and electrolytes in the past 3 years (started SCD nearly 5 years ago) to keep from getting severe leg and feet cramps -- very severe, the kind where all the tendons contract and I fall over, unable to move. I haven't been blaming SCD though, but my own deteriorating nervous system.

I do get muscle twitches in my thighs, ITBand and glutes when my muscles get fatigued; I think it might be due to an inability to release lactic acid, but I'm still reading up on this. The muscle twitches in these areas started 6 months ago (after I'd gotten my lower leg and feet cramps under management) at the same time I also developed what my doctors are currently labelling "faulty gait mechanics," possibly due to my leg and feet neuropathies. I also get a lot of pain in my knees and ITBand, but that's because my legs aren't moving normally and are stressed.

In my case I don't think the muscle twitches and cramps are coming from my diet, although it's true that a boost of magnesium, potassium and electrolytes helps get my muscles and tendons to relax. However, I have seen lots of emails from people on SCD who also find they need to boost their magnesium and potassium more often. Might be due to the fact we're not getting these minerals through eating starches, but I suspect it is because of malnourishment, which we all have to some degree when we start SCD and/or have digestive disorders. Our bodies aren't getting enough of these minerals through food sources.

Just some possibilities. I'd boost your electrolytes more often, and add extra magnesium and potassium regularly, maybe not every day but often enough to stop the twitches and cramps.

Kim M.

SCD 4+ years