RemedySpot.com

Re: What is the difference between High Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Children diagnosed with Asperger's do not demonstrate delays in language acquistion. Their language progressed typically, whereas, those diagnosed with autism, language did not progress as expected.

What is the difference between High Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome???

My son was recently diagnosed this year with Asperger's Syndrome. He is 11 years old. But I was curious what the difference between HF Autism and AS is? Not really sure what the differences are since they sound so similar.

Thanks for the help,

Lissette

What if the child had a short period of time where he/she stopped talking (say 6-8 months) than regained all language again, and then some? Would that still not be concidered Aspergers?

Thanks in advance

To: sList Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 6:43:27 PMSubject: Re: What is the difference between High Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome???

Children diagnosed with Asperger's do not demonstrate delays in language acquistion. Their language progressed typically, whereas, those diagnosed with autism, language did not progress as expected.

What is the difference between High Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome???

My son was recently diagnosed this year with Asperger's Syndrome. He is 11 years old. But I was curious what the difference between HF Autism and AS is? Not really sure what the differences are since they sound so similar.

Thanks for the help,

Lissette

What if the child had a short period of time where he/she stopped talking (say 6-8 months) than regained all language again, and then some? Would that still not be concidered Aspergers?

Thanks in advance

To: sList Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 6:43:27 PMSubject: Re: What is the difference between High Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome???

Thanks for the help,

Lissette

Lissette, Would you please email me privately. I too have a son 11 yrs old who has been diagnosed this year with Aspergers. I would like to compare notes if that is ok with you. Thank you, Marie

Subject: Re: What is the difference between High Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome???To: sList Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 6:43 PM

Thanks for the help,

Lissette

Hmmm.....That is an interesting question. Did that happen with your child?

It is important to note diagnosis is still quite subjective and the diagnosis can be as different depending upon the individual diagnosing the child.

I would say, no, that is not Asperger's, but is one of the other diagnoses on the spectrum. There is really no delay in language with Asperger's. That is the defining criteria according to the DSM. Some diagnosticians will diagnose Asperger's if the child later acquires language and has seemingly less symptoms, but this is actually inaccurate due to the language issue.

Helpful?

Thanks for the help,

Lissette

Hmmm.....That is an interesting question. Did that happen with your child?

It is important to note diagnosis is still quite subjective and the diagnosis can be as different depending upon the individual diagnosing the child.

I would say, no, that is not Asperger's, but is one of the other diagnoses on the spectrum. There is really no delay in language with Asperger's. That is the defining criteria according to the DSM. Some diagnosticians will diagnose Asperger's if the child later acquires language and has seemingly less symptoms, but this is actually inaccurate due to the language issue.

Helpful?

Thanks for the help,

Lissette

My child was diagnosed with Aspergers/ high functioning autism at age 3yrs. We knew in our hearts he was different from other toddlers. Early intervention and a good IEP was the key to a good education in the public school system. He will be going to UCF as a freshman in the summer. We recommend research on the local school programs and full involvement in placement. We chose our son's teacher yearly and participated in yearly IEP and conferences.-Feel free to contact us by e-mail. ---- Original Message -----

To: sList

Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:33 PM

Subject: Re: What is the difference between High Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome???

It is never too late...

Thanks for the help,

Lissette

______________________________________________________________________This email has been scanned by the Broward Health Email Security System.______________________________________________________________________- ----------------------------------------------Broward Health

thanks, I'm hoping.

From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of TinaTerriAustinSent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:34 PMTo: sList Subject: Re: What is the difference between High Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome???

It is never too late...

Thanks for the help,

Lissette

______________________________________________________________________This email has been scanned by the Broward Health Email Security System.______________________________________________________________________- ----------------------------------------------Broward Health