sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of E. , Sr.

Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:47 PM

To: sList

Subject: Re: Broward County Star Program

I am not involved in that county and don't even

knwo which state you

are referring to.. but I thought I would ask - is this a program that

is based on the Original STARS programs ? Basically icons and pecs ?

ABA D/T does get that brownie button of being Scientifically proven

due to H.Con.Res.91 in which Congress deemed it to be the ONLY proven

scientific program. With my own son.. we did a 'Lovaas' program for

2 years..as I was still with my ex and lived in California at that

time. So even though I was facing 'denial' from mom (He's just slow),

I still ran a program based on the ME Book. Once his responses seemed

to become 'robotic' or 'pre programed' I decided placement in public

school spec ed with services galore was the way to go as he still had

a 1:1 aide and ABA is even now at age 15 used to introduce new

things...once he is comfortable other systems are used in his (what

other word can I use...hmmm, someone got mad once when I stated this)

program. Visual cues are good for him when it comes to planning as he

is on top of it.

E. , Sr. The Office of Advocacy for Autistic Children

>

> It lacks any one-on-one ABA, for one thing and therefore is not

> scientifically based because the original program included ABA. It

relies to

> much on visual prompts and ignores the need for verbal instruction

which is

> used in typical classrooms. These children are autistic, not deaf.

> Instruction needs to be more individualized.

>

>

>

> From: sList

[mailto:sList ]

On

> Behalf Of ostinho2

> Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:14 AM

> To: sList

> Subject: Re: Broward County Star Program

>

No virus

found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.16/1843 - Release Date: 12/11/2008

8:36 AM

Liz,If nothing at all was in place that's a good start. My son did well with a program that was stars related, we did the ABA after school and in the class his 1:1 was trained to use ABA to 'introduce and begin to master' skills, once he did that a much more open generalization program worked for him., your last line on your post was very significant here.. our kids are as different as fingerprints although they may be the 'same' as a finger is.. so different approaches work well. I've worked in situatinons where ABA just didn't work. And in others where it was absolutely necessary. Almost every program is modified by whoever is projecting it... this doesn't disqualify the science behind it but it does water it down. I always go with an easy

motto of ' What ever is appropriate for that individual child ' . So that means we have over a million different kinds of IEP's !! E. , Sr.Please go and comment to vote & Let others know ASAP to do the samehttp://www.change.org/ideas/view/accept_and_sign_the_autism_reform_act_of_2009 E. , Sr. Founder The Office of Advocacy for Autistic ChildrenThis electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act,

(18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521.) To: sList Sent:

Sunday, December 14, 2008 12:16:16 PMSubject: Re: Re: Broward County Star Program

Nothing. Nothing was in place before. That's why this is good. It's good because at least it is a start. Get it?

Liz.

From: Heifferon <gary00001msn (DOT) com>To: sList@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:35:02 AMSubject: RE: Re: Broward County Star Program

What was in place before?

From: sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Lizzie BergSent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:21 AMTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re: Re: Broward County Star Program

what do you mean when you say "yes". Yes to what? These are my questions:

Have you looked at the program? What part of it don't you like?

Do you know what was in place before Broward implemented it? Would you like to know?

Lizzie

From: Heifferon <gary00001msn (DOT) com>To: sList@ yahoogroups. comSent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:28:47 PMSubject: RE: Re: Broward County Star Program

yes

From: sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Lizzie BergSent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:05 AMTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re: Re: Broward County Star Program

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.17/1847 - Release Date: 12/13/2008 4:56 PM

Liz,

Are you kidding? Honestly, I am not sure. Our kids deserve more than "something is better than nothing." Actually it is not only that they deserve it they are LEGALLY entitled to it. The problem it seems among other things, is that most teachers and administration either don't know what the federal law stipulates or just don't care. The one size fits all approach is not going to cut it. Programs MUST be scientifically based. Unfortunately, parents don't have the resources the schools do to fight for their children's RIGHTS. What is also sad is that the schools make the parent's have to fight. Parents have a hard enough time taking care of their disabled children without having to fight the schools that use their tax dollars. Fran

Subject: Re: Re: Broward County Star ProgramTo: sList Date: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 5:16 PM

Nothing. Nothing was in place before. That's why this is good. It's good because at least it is a start. Get it?

Liz.

To: sList Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:35:02 AMSubject: RE: Re: Broward County Star Program

What was in place before?

From: sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Lizzie BergSent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:21 AMTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re: Re: Broward County Star Program

what do you mean when you say "yes". Yes to what? These are my questions:

Have you looked at the program? What part of it don't you like?

Do you know what was in place before Broward implemented it? Would you like to know?

Lizzie

From: Heifferon <gary00001msn (DOT) com>To: sList@ yahoogroups. comSent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:28:47 PMSubject: RE: Re: Broward County Star Program

yes

From: sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Lizzie BergSent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:05 AMTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re: Re: Broward County Star Program

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.17/1847 - Release Date: 12/13/2008 4:56 PM