RemedySpot.com

RE: about Louise/Marilyn

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Marilyn,

Thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate your help and I've gained a lot of information from reading the messages here. This is an amazing group, and I'm glad to be a part of you all.

BTW if I'm slow at answering emails or don't even answer a few, I hope people will be forgiving. One of my challenges is reading and responding, although I write, and I coach and I teach. :-)

That's interesting about how you and Harry plan to investigate a rammed earth house. I'm not sure I've heard that term, although it's possible because I've heard of different kinds of housing. I'll see if I can look up the Salt Spring Island builders. There are cob housing projects I've been somewhat interested in. I'm very desperate for healthy housing because I'm besieged by fragrance and smoke almost daily. It's one of the major reasons I've been sick for 36 years. I've never been able to live in healthy housing, even though I'm one of the worst with MCS. In fact, I was chosen to live as a tenant in the one pioneering project of the province where an Environmentally Sensitive suite was built in a regular apartment building. It was a disaster and I finally got out. Long story.

Yes, I noticed that you're a writer. Do you have a website? I'd be interested in knowing what you write. Hmm, I always wished I could draw and paint, and I've overcome that block to some degree. I don't feel as if it comes as naturally to me as two of my brothers, but I do draw and paint--my own style. I bet you can, too. Coach Louise speaking. :-)

Okay, about the stages. I remember your talking a lot about zucchini. I think I will add in zucchini today. So far I've had sole with a dab of lemon and the carrots are cooking! I'm used to eating "odd" foods for breakfast. In fact, I'm not used to eating "normal" breakfast foods.

I took 1/4 capsule of my natural thyroid. I haven't decided yet what to do about my nutritional supplements but I think I'll take some of them, but keep my eye on them. They are mostly very good supplements which have a long list of what is NOT in them. I have an ND who may be able to advise me because some of his patients are on SCD.

As far as juices, I normally only dilute Knudsen's and rarely drink even them. I can get by easier in the summer with fruit and sometimes juices, so I make popsicles of dilute juice, when I need to cool off.

I've been thinking of you and your family since your uncle died. Many blessings to you all.

Louise

-----Original Message-----From: BTVC-SCD [mailto:BTVC-SCD ]On Behalf Of Wizop Marilyn L. AlmSent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:11 PMTo: BTVC-SCD Subject: Re: about LouiseLouise,Welcome to the list, and glad to have you, although sorry you need to be here.<g> Depending on finances, I may be out your way in the not-too-distant future. Harry (my husband) and I are investigating the possibility of a rammed earth house by Terra Firma Builders, who are on Salt Spring Island.I managed to lose 35 pounds last year, but this year, it's not going well. Like you, I'm a writer, and WISH I could do artwork! (My sister got the artwork talent in our family.)The Pecan Bread stages are a guide, nothing more. They didn't exist when I started SCD. I ate pork roast, beef roast, steamed zucchini and soft-boiled eggs. That was what I tolerated -- and besides, my husband is NOT a cook, and I could tell him how to set this up for me.If turkey and fish and a couple beginning vegetables work best for you, go for it. The object of the intro is to give your body easy to digest food while it eliminates all the illegals. As Dr. Gee said, "That which the patient takes, beyond his ability to digest, does harm."You will have to be very careful of even organic fruit juices as they often contain "evaporated cane juice," which is sugar by any other name. Welch's (now in plastic instead of glass), Kedem, and the Knudsen "Just Juice" line are all legal. I don't do a lot of fruit, either.

— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Louise,

Glad you're finding the information here of help -- we have a great bunch

of people here.

Harry and I are looking into -- shall we say -- sturdy, environmentally

sound homes for awhile. Especially sturdy. We are now in our third year

post-Katrina, and there are whole neighborhoods which are still abandoned

/ destroyed. But at least I don't feel like I need a mold mask when

venturing outside now.

I don't have a web site or a blog. I mostly participate on SCD lists, or

I hang out in a couple of communities, including Science Fiction

Literature where I've been for around 15 years, in the days before easy

Internet access.

The one thing I would advise you is not to depend on the ND to know what

is and is not SCD legal. We've encountered many, many instances over the

years of health care practitioners who know OF the SCD, but don't know

its details, who have prescribed something which set the person into a

tail-spin. A classic example of this is that for gut issues, slippery elm

is frequently prescribed because it is believe that its mucilage soothes

the gut. Except that the mucilage is made of polysaccharide -- STARCH! --

and while it may offer some temporary relief, it continues to feed

the bad bacteria in the gut, which results, ultimately, in the condition

worsening, rather than allowing true healing.

Your ND may be a wise and knowledgeable person in many, many areas, but

it will be up to you to know what is and is not permitted on SCD. I work

with an acupuncturist, who would have me eating congees (rice soup) for

my IBS, but I've declined.

Definitely continue taking your thyroid! The rest -- you may find that

you do not need as much as your gut heals. That will be something to

evaluate as you go along, the same way you would evaluate the addition of

a new food.

Homemade popsicles are a great way to handle food!

How did the addition of zucchini go?

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund