RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Don't use honey -- was Fructose Intolerance and Diet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Geta

I can't answer your first question, but can answer your 2nd. I don't/can't use honey as my body always reacts badly to it. I've been on SCD for more than 4 years, and I make nut flour muffins and breads routinely -- without honey. Also without yogurt or DCCC.

I use two alternatives to honey, sometimes one or the other, sometimes both together depending on how my batter is looking or tasting.

First option: use applesauce or peachsauce. Pearsauce or other pureed fruits would work as well, like mashed banana or pureed raspberries and so on. I generally start off with 1/4 c. of applesauce in the batter, then add more if the batter needs more liquid, or if it needs more sweetening.

Second option: use full-strength fruit juices; diluted also works OK but it can get tricky getting enough sweet without needing to add lots more nut flour to make the batter acceptable. I generally use apple or orange juice, but I think any fruit juice combination would work, depending on what flavor of nut flour muffins or bread you are making.

Most of the time I have to add a bit more nut flour to the batter to compensate for the extra moisture these two options give the batter. I've never measured the total amount of fruit sauces or fruit juices I add to a batter, but I would estimate that the amount I end up adding to the batter just about equals the amount of honey called for in the recipe. The only issue is that there is more moisture from my honey substitutes, so I have to add a smidgin more nut flour to compensate. But then I also don't use yogurt in my batter either, so sometimes it all works out just fine.

My honey alternatives work best with a fruitier muffin or bread. I haven't needed to figure out what would work with a more savory nut flour item like a cheese bread or cracker. I can't eat cheese either, so haven't done my experimenting with options in this case. I would hope that a less sweet fruit like apple juice or applesauce would work OK if you plan to make a cheese bread or cracker. Or maybe you don't need any sweetener at all in that case.

Kim M.

SCD 4+ years

>>>>>>>>>>>>

- any suggestions for a week long menu without fructose?- any suggestions for a replacement for honey in baked goods? Please feel free to email me directly as this may be a repetition for many of you,GetaIBS-D diagnosed June 07lactose intolerantgeta741 [at] yahoo [dot] com