RemedySpot.com

Re: Defintion of Verbal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son is 8 1/2 and has been stuck on "I want __________" it seems like forever. I am grateful that he can tell me his wants and needs but would like him to be able to use more that 2 and 3 words sentences. I would like to have a small conversation with him......like hw was your day? This is where the conversation starters would be helpful. What did you learn.......things like that. His Verbal understanding and being able to read to himself are great. We want to work on adding words to his sentences. He is very visual. When he had the evaluation for the device we worked on his adding the word THE into a sentence. We have been working on just this for 6 months. The next day at speech he said the the therapist "I want the yellow" weather that was because of the machine or it was just time I do not know but it gave me a lot of hope. He has sence lost the word the. Although he lost "the" did he start to pick up any other single words? Unfortunately, it is up to the School to decide whether or not he is verbal/to what degree---I know frustrating! I would contact an advocate from FND to help you with this. Family Network on Disabilities.

Dawn

www.shoppingcartblankie.com

Subject: Re: Defintion of VerbalTo: sList Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 10:56 AM

How old is your son? My daughter started off saying (prior to preschool), juice, then taught "want juice", then "I want juice" and so on. Baby steps... Approx. how many words would you say he says on his own . As a parent with a child with Autism, I feel blessed when my child could say, single words, put two words together and so on when I know there are children on the Spectrum that can't verbalize at all!!! If he can says words at all, he is verbal. However, the crazy school system/district/ State of FL has their own definitions for what is considered verbal enough---I'm just thrilled my daughter learned to speak AND sentences (over time---still has speech today)!!! There is a great web site called Natural Learning concepts---www. nlconcepts. com. I just purchased some Conversation Starters for my 13 year old daughter- I wish they were available when she was younger! They are so simple----I asked myself why didn't I think of these?

Good luck,

gb7289@...

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now. One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

My son is 8 1/2 and has been stuck on "I want __________" it seems like forever. I am grateful that he can tell me his wants and needs but would like him to be able to use more that 2 and 3 words sentences. I would like to have a small conversation with him......like hw was your day? This is where the conversation starters would be helpful. What did you learn.......things like that. His Verbal understanding and being able to read to himself are great. We want to work on adding words to his sentences. He is very visual. When he had the evaluation for the device we worked on his adding the word THE into a sentence. We have been working on just this for 6 months. The next day at speech he said the the therapist "I want the yellow" weather that was because of the machine or it was just time I do not know but it gave me a lot of hope. He has sence lost the word the. Although he lost "the" did he start to pick up any other single words? Unfortunately, it is up to the School to decide whether or not he is verbal/to what degree---I know frustrating! I would contact an advocate from FND to help you with this. Family Network on Disabilities.

Dawn

www.shoppingcartblankie.com

Subject: Re: Defintion of VerbalTo: sList Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 10:56 AM

How old is your son? My daughter started off saying (prior to preschool), juice, then taught "want juice", then "I want juice" and so on. Baby steps... Approx. how many words would you say he says on his own . As a parent with a child with Autism, I feel blessed when my child could say, single words, put two words together and so on when I know there are children on the Spectrum that can't verbalize at all!!! If he can says words at all, he is verbal. However, the crazy school system/district/ State of FL has their own definitions for what is considered verbal enough---I'm just thrilled my daughter learned to speak AND sentences (over time---still has speech today)!!! There is a great web site called Natural Learning concepts---www. nlconcepts. com. I just purchased some Conversation Starters for my 13 year old daughter- I wish they were available when she was younger! They are so simple----I asked myself why didn't I think of these?

Good luck,

gb7289@...

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now. One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/studentsupport/ese/html/AT/whatsat.htm

There is a difference in "verbal" vs. communication.

Being able to communicate is vital, and verbal to me just means making sounds.

So would the "team" be concluding that because your child has a disability, he doesn't need to communicate with his peers?

The school system should be paying for the Assistive Technology. There is large grant money left to our school system for just that purpose!

http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/studentsupport/ese/PDF/Higgins.pdf

I agree that you should be using an advocate.

Sherry

From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of KarpSent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 1:38 PMTo: sList Subject: Re: Defintion of Verbal

Dawn,

One of my son's speech therapists uses the terminology "low verbal," "verbal," and "high verbal." Sounds like your son would be in the low verbal range. I agree 100% that an augmentative device would be extremely helpful. My son used a Dynamite for two years, it was a huge help for him. Are you bringing an advocate to your IEP meetings? If not, you may want to start.

Dawn <bzmummie> wrote:

Hi everyone. I was just courious what people's defintion of verbal is? My son can say "I want .........." and memorized phrase. But we can not have a conversation with him so I do not consider him verbal. We are tring to get an Agumentive Communication device for him because his private SLP thinks it would help him to be more expressive. We tried going though our private insurance but they denide it because under our policy they do not cover any of the devices. So now we are tring to go though Medicade and they need the school to sign a school concurence form and they do not want to sign that saying that my son is verbal. Therefore the question What is your deifintion of Verbal?Thanks in advanceDawn

______________________________________________________________________This email has been scanned by the Broward Health Email Security System.______________________________________________________________________

- ----------------------------------------------

Broward Health

http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/studentsupport/ese/html/AT/whatsat.htm

There is a difference in "verbal" vs. communication.

Being able to communicate is vital, and verbal to me just means making sounds.

So would the "team" be concluding that because your child has a disability, he doesn't need to communicate with his peers?

The school system should be paying for the Assistive Technology. There is large grant money left to our school system for just that purpose!

http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/studentsupport/ese/PDF/Higgins.pdf

I agree that you should be using an advocate.

Sherry

From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of KarpSent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 1:38 PMTo: sList Subject: Re: Defintion of Verbal

Dawn,

One of my son's speech therapists uses the terminology "low verbal," "verbal," and "high verbal." Sounds like your son would be in the low verbal range. I agree 100% that an augmentative device would be extremely helpful. My son used a Dynamite for two years, it was a huge help for him. Are you bringing an advocate to your IEP meetings? If not, you may want to start.

Dawn <bzmummie> wrote:

Hi everyone. I was just courious what people's defintion of verbal is? My son can say "I want .........." and memorized phrase. But we can not have a conversation with him so I do not consider him verbal. We are tring to get an Agumentive Communication device for him because his private SLP thinks it would help him to be more expressive. We tried going though our private insurance but they denide it because under our policy they do not cover any of the devices. So now we are tring to go though Medicade and they need the school to sign a school concurence form and they do not want to sign that saying that my son is verbal. Therefore the question What is your deifintion of Verbal?Thanks in advanceDawn

______________________________________________________________________This email has been scanned by the Broward Health Email Security System.______________________________________________________________________

- ----------------------------------------------

Broward Health

If your child is greater than 2 standard deviations below the norm

for speech he should qualify through Medicaid. My son got a Dynavox

about 18 months ago and he too is quasi verbal. He mands (requests),

identifies colors, shapes, animals and a few other things. He is far

from conversational. Let the PLS-4 score do the talking.

If it doesn't work out we will likely be selling our device soon as

my son has Write Out Loud on his laptop and we are transitioning to

that.

>

> Hi everyone. I was just courious what people's defintion of verbal

> is? My son can say " I want .......... " and memorized phrase. But

we

> can not have a conversation with him so I do not consider him

verbal.

> We are tring to get an Agumentive Communication device for him

because

> his private SLP thinks it would help him to be more expressive. We

> tried going though our private insurance but they denide it because

> under our policy they do not cover any of the devices. So now we

are

> tring to go though Medicade and they need the school to sign a

school

> concurence form and they do not want to sign that saying that my

son is

> verbal. Therefore the question What is your deifintion of Verbal?

>

> Thanks in advance

> Dawn

>

If your child is greater than 2 standard deviations below the norm

for speech he should qualify through Medicaid. My son got a Dynavox

about 18 months ago and he too is quasi verbal. He mands (requests),

identifies colors, shapes, animals and a few other things. He is far

from conversational. Let the PLS-4 score do the talking.

If it doesn't work out we will likely be selling our device soon as

my son has Write Out Loud on his laptop and we are transitioning to

that.

>

> Hi everyone. I was just courious what people's defintion of verbal

> is? My son can say " I want .......... " and memorized phrase. But

we

> can not have a conversation with him so I do not consider him

verbal.

> We are tring to get an Agumentive Communication device for him

because

> his private SLP thinks it would help him to be more expressive. We

> tried going though our private insurance but they denide it because

> under our policy they do not cover any of the devices. So now we

are

> tring to go though Medicade and they need the school to sign a

school

> concurence form and they do not want to sign that saying that my

son is

> verbal. Therefore the question What is your deifintion of Verbal?

>

> Thanks in advance

> Dawn

>

Hi,

how much did your Dynavox cost?

Liz

Subject: Re: Defintion of VerbalTo: sList Date: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 12:19 AM

If your child is greater than 2 standard deviations below the norm for speech he should qualify through Medicaid. My son got a Dynavox about 18 months ago and he too is quasi verbal. He mands (requests), identifies colors, shapes, animals and a few other things. He is far from conversational. Let the PLS-4 score do the talking.If it doesn't work out we will likely be selling our device soon as my son has Write Out Loud on his laptop and we are transitioning to that.>> Hi everyone. I was just courious what people's defintion of verbal > is? My son can say "I want .........." and memorized phrase. But we > can not have a conversation with him so I do not consider him verbal. > We are tring to get an Agumentive

Communication device for him because > his private SLP thinks it would help him to be more expressive. We > tried going though our private insurance but they denide it because > under our policy they do not cover any of the devices. So now we are > tring to go though Medicade and they need the school to sign a school > concurence form and they do not want to sign that saying that my son is > verbal. Therefore the question What is your deifintion of Verbal?> > Thanks in advance> Dawn>

My son is a Savant... he mastered the device while my ex and I were talking to the SLP..we spoke for about an hour and thenhe came up and used it to tell us he wanted to go home..it was amazing. He has had stim with his hands since forever..he's 15 now.He no longer flickers his fingers by his eyes or holds a hand up off to the side and looks out the side... It was a process of using ABA tointroduce the initial device..a Tech Talk,, but within 3 months he was wayyy grown out of it...on the device he has now there's over 100 screenswith 9 icons on each, some are single words and some are 3-4 word phrases.. he can group them together and spit out a sentence in moments.You can just about keep up with him - he's that fast. He was restrained about 3 weeks ago very illegally

... no BIP plan for restraint, and they took his Aug. speech device from him ..which is like taking the lips off of someone and pulling their vocal cords out manually..thats the way I look at it.Anyway, I can't comment on that too much because of pending litigation. What I can say is an Aide with no knowledge called 911, his teacher and his 1:1 were both out sick..so per the plan he should not have even been in school. Thank you for the input... it's always nice to look at something through someone elses eyes. Take Care, E. , Sr.Please go and register, comment to vote & Let others know ASAP to do the same(Add this link to your email sig. for the next 5 weeks if you can.....for the kids)http://www.change.org/ideas/view/accept_and_sign_the_autism_reform_act_of_2009I appreciate your support in helping children with Autism and other disabilities.http://officeofadvocacy.spaces.live.com/ under construction but it's there..To: sList Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:46:32

AMSubject: Re: Defintion of Verbal

There also comes a time as our children get older that THEY can choose their preferred system of communication.

Just curious, does your son have any motor planning issues with his hands touching the icons on the AAC device? Sometimes, what we interpret as a 'stim' is actually a form of apraxia or motor planning issue. I recently read a great journal article about that, on this newsgroup I believe.

Good luck,

gb7289@...

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

The end part of what you wrote is horrible! I am so sorry for your son and your family. Some similar events happened to my son in pre-k and the aide was, I believe, forced to resign because if the school had fired her, we would have had to learn of the incident. We heard about what happened weeks later from others who work at the school and began to put pieces together, some marks, nightmares, not wanting to go to school and some all-of-a-sudden major behavioral problems at the school. Now, we hope we are more aware but it is still so scary to think of the possibilities.

That is awesome he is so tech savvy. I really think our kids just need to find their outlet.

Another curious but often touchy question b/c it involves biomedical interventions: Did you ever try cod liver oil for the hand flickering and vision stimming?

Good luck,

gb7289@...

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

We've tried everything you can think of or read of or learn of - many things he wont accept but he's very good at being redireected. This helps quite a bit. His sttim was something we brought from being out of control to something extremely hard to see now. He's gone through puberty and I think thats definately one of the reasons now why he is more in tune with what others are doing..but he stil will ask questions through the palm pocket that are somewhat hard to answer to him, he understands in a very intense way. He had the 'savant' added to his diagnosis after a Behaviorist working with him was called in to help.. my ex had called me in NY where I was working at that time and told me he was doing strainge things with phone books he really liked.. I would send him phone books

from all over the coutnry.. it seemed unrealistic.. but it was incredible to find out he had 10 stacks totalling over 120 books from diff. cities I worked in. he was adding all the numbers up. It took a Research team at UC two weeks to make the discovery.. the phone books total numbers including page numbers..any number..in each stack ended with a 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, or 10.Now that makes the "Rainmain" coounting cards/toothpicks a very true yet fictional movie. I could go on forever..he never ceases to Amaze me.Even when he was illegally restrained, retained, all because they took his only way to communicate away from him (aide called in sick.no replacement..teacher was out ill too and there was a sub)..he spent 4 hours in a room at the Police Station..where he played with different things the officers gave him until he was released to one of my attorneys co counserlors. The BIP said " Teacher or Aide is not present to call

the house and it would be an excused absense " .. so I guess they got what was coming.. a 5 7 175 lb. kid pummeling them over. READ THE BIP teachers.. please.Thank you,Micahel E. , Sr. Please go and register, comment to vote & Let others know ASAP to do the same(Add this link to your email sig. for the next 5 weeks if you can.....for the kids)http://www.change.org/ideas/view/accept_and_sign_the_autism_reform_act_of_2009I appreciate your support in helping children with Autism and other disabilities.http://officeofadvocacy.spaces.live.com/ under construction but it's there..Another very strong idea that should be looked at by all to help so many that need this.. Regarding Medicaid Waivers being fully funded . please look at this and vote accordingly - this will change the future of many.. the site for the Medicaid Reform is at:http://www.change.org/idea/view/fully_fund_medicaid_waivers_for_the_developmentally_disabled E. , Sr. Founder The Office of Advocacy for Autistic ChildrenThis electronic

mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, (18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521.) To: sList Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 11:27:44 AMSubject: Re: Defintion of Verbal

The end part of what you wrote is horrible! I am so sorry for your son and your family. Some similar events happened to my son in pre-k and the aide was, I believe, forced to resign because if the school had fired her, we would have had to learn of the incident. We heard about what happened weeks later from others who work at the school and began to put pieces together, some marks, nightmares, not wanting to go to school and some all-of-a-sudden major behavioral problems at the school. Now, we hope we are more aware but it is still so scary to think of the possibilities.

That is awesome he is so tech savvy. I really think our kids just need to find their outlet.

Another curious but often touchy question b/c it involves biomedical interventions: Did you ever try cod liver oil for the hand flickering and vision stimming?

Good luck,

gb7289@...

He sounds like an amazing young man. Again, I am sorry he had to go through that. Do you try to process through traumatic events with him after they occur? That is what I try to do with my son and reiterating to him to tell mommy when something happens. Of course, all this takes time and teaching...

How old is your son? My daughter started off saying (prior to preschool), juice, then taught "want juice", then "I want juice" and so on. Baby steps... Approx. how many words would you say he says on his own . As a parent with a child with Autism, I feel blessed when my child could say, single words, put two words together and so on when I know there are children on the Spectrum that can't verbalize at all!!! If he can says words at all, he is verbal. However, the crazy school system/district/ State of FL has their own definitions for what is considered verbal enough---I'm just thrilled my daughter learned to speak AND sentences (over time---still has speech today)!!! There is a great web site called Natural Learning concepts---www nlconcepts. com. I just purchased some Conversation Starters for my 13 year old daughter- I wish they were available when she was younger! They are so simple----I asked myself why didn't I think of these?

Good luck,

gb7289@...

I felt no reason to rehash the problems that occurred that day - I'll let my attorney do that with the district to come to a consent decree that will help all the kids there. He told me right away " Dad I got to ride in the car " , when I responded ' what car ' , he said 'with sirens Dad' . He is a very smart child and I think that in these places where he definately shows his social deficit.. it should be left alone. If he was to be crying about it or showing a change in behavior pattern then I would possibly go down that avenue.Thanks, Please go and register, comment to vote & Let others know ASAP to do the same(Add

this link to your email sig. for the next 5 weeks if you can.....for the kids)http://www.change.org/ideas/view/accept_and_sign_the_autism_reform_act_of_2009From: TinaTerriAustin To: sList Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 4:03:02 AMSubject: Re:

Defintion of Verbal

He sounds like an amazing young man. Again, I am sorry he had to go through that. Do you try to process through traumatic events with him after they occur? That is what I try to do with my son and reiterating to him to tell mommy when something happens. Of course, all this takes time and teaching...

How old is your son? My daughter started off saying (prior to preschool), juice, then taught "want juice", then "I want juice" and so on. Baby steps... Approx. how many words would you say he says on his own . As a parent with a child with Autism, I feel blessed when my child could say, single words, put two words together and so on when I know there are children on the Spectrum that can't verbalize at all!!! If he can says words at all, he is verbal. However, the crazy school system/district/ State of FL has their own definitions for what is considered verbal enough---I'm just thrilled my daughter learned to speak AND sentences (over time---still has speech today)!!! There is a great web site called Natural Learning concepts---www nlconcepts. com. I just purchased some Conversation Starters for my 13 year old daughter- I wish they were available when she was younger! They are so simple----I asked myself why didn't I think of these?

Good luck,

gb7289@...

I felt no reason to rehash the problems that occurred that day - I'll let my attorney do that with the district to come to a consent decree that will help all the kids there. He told me right away " Dad I got to ride in the car " , when I responded ' what car ' , he said 'with sirens Dad' . He is a very smart child and I think that in these places where he definately shows his social deficit.. it should be left alone. If he was to be crying about it or showing a change in behavior pattern then I would possibly go down that avenue.Thanks, Please go and register, comment to vote & Let others know ASAP to do the same(Add

this link to your email sig. for the next 5 weeks if you can.....for the kids)http://www.change.org/ideas/view/accept_and_sign_the_autism_reform_act_of_2009From: TinaTerriAustin To: sList Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 4:03:02 AMSubject: Re:

Defintion of Verbal

Good luck,

gb7289@...