RemedySpot.com

Re: Broward: McKay Scholarship

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Not true. We start at kindergarten and we accept the McKay Scholarship toward tuition.

:-)

Ilyssa Hershey, Psy.D.

Director

Atlantis Academy

Coral Springs, Florida

Educational Services of America, Inc

Subject: RE: Broward: McKay ScholarshipTo: sList Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 11:28 AM

Atlantis starts with first grade and not K. So, there is no private school in Broward County that accepts the McKay Scholarship starting with K?

From: sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of gary0323_44Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 10:43 AMTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Broward: McKay Scholarship

Can anyone recommend a school K-8 in Broward County, preferably North Broward, that accepts the McKay Scholarship for a child with autism.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.14/1832 - Release Date: 12/5/2008 9:57 AM

>

> My child attends Atlantis Academy in Coral Springs and it is a

wonderful school. They accept the McKay, too.

>

> Broward: McKay Scholarship

>

>

> Can anyone recommend a school K-8 in Broward County, preferably North

> Broward, that accepts the McKay Scholarship for a child with autism.

>

My son currently attends a cluster program with some inclusion at a

public school- he is austistic- what is the advantages of Atlantis

Academy ,and what progress has your child made at the school?

How does the IEP fit into the scheme of things?

sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of Dr. Ilyssa Hershey

Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:01 AM

To: sList

Subject: RE: Broward: McKay Scholarship

Not true. We start at kindergarten and we accept the McKay

Scholarship toward tuition.

Ilyssa Hershey, Psy.D.

Director

Atlantis Academy

Coral Springs, Florida

Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 11:28 AM

Atlantis starts with first grade and

not K. So, there is no private school in Broward County that accepts the

McKay Scholarship starting with K?

sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On

Behalf Of gary0323_44

Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 10:43 AM

To: sList@ yahoogroups. com

Subject: Broward: McKay Scholarship

Can anyone recommend a school K-8 in Broward County,

preferably North

Broward, that accepts the McKay Scholarship for a child with autism.

No virus found in this

incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com

Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.14/1832 - Release Date: 12/5/2008

9:57 AM

No virus

found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.16/1841 - Release Date: 12/10/2008

9:30 AM

How does the IEP fit into the scheme of things?

sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of Dr. Ilyssa Hershey

Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:01 AM

Not true. We start at kindergarten and we accept the McKay

Scholarship toward tuition.

Ilyssa Hershey, Psy.D.

Director

Atlantis Academy

Coral Springs, Florida

Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 11:28 AM

Atlantis starts with first grade and

not K. So, there is no private school in Broward County that accepts the

McKay Scholarship starting with K?

sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On

Behalf Of gary0323_44

Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 10:43 AM

To: sList@ yahoogroups. com

Subject: Broward: McKay Scholarship

Can anyone recommend a school K-8 in Broward County,

preferably North

Broward, that accepts the McKay Scholarship for a child with autism.

No virus found in this

incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com

Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.14/1832 - Release Date: 12/5/2008

9:57 AM

No virus

found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.16/1841 - Release Date: 12/10/2008

9:30 AM

It is my understanding that if your child had an IEP and was in PLACE or complex PLACE, you can apply for McKay for Kindergarten.

just my two cents....I was told you can not get the McKay in kindergarten since you must have one year of proof the public school can't educate your kid. I was told this when I was trying to get my then K kid into a private school for the oral deaf. Of course I found out none of them would take her because of her autism. But that is another topic.

Jayne mom to the Marvelous Miki who mastered all of the goals on last years IEP! (this year we will have harder goals heh heh)

--------- Broward: McKay Scholarship

Can anyone recommend a school K-8 in Broward County, preferably North Broward, that accepts the McKay Scholarship for a child with autism.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.14/1832 - Release Date: 12/5/2008 9:57 AMMake your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

just my two cents....I was told you can not get the McKay in kindergarten since you must have one year of proof the public school can't educate your kid. I was told this when I was trying to get my then K kid into a private school for the oral deaf. Of course I found out none of them would take her because of her autism. But that is another topic.

Jayne mom to the Marvelous Miki who mastered all of the goals on last years IEP! (this year we will have harder goals heh heh)

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.14/1832 - Release Date: 12/5/2008 9:57 AM

Private schools do not follow public school IEPs...we get a sense of the student's strenghts and weaknesses; preferred learning style, and academic skill level in math and reading/LA.

Our teachers then teach in a multi-modal fashion, taking from many different educational resources and teaching to the child's skill level and at their pace.

Our student to teacher ratio is an average of 15 to one.

Ilyssa Hershey, Psy.D.

Director

Atlantis Academy

Coral Springs, Florida

From: Heifferon <gary00001msn (DOT) com>Subject: RE: Broward: McKay ScholarshipTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, December 8, 2008, 11:28 AM

Atlantis starts with first grade and not K. So, there is no private school in Broward County that accepts the McKay Scholarship starting with K?

From: sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of gary0323_44Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 10:43 AMTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Broward: McKay Scholarship

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.16/1841 - Release Date: 12/10/2008 9:30 AM

Private schools do not follow public school IEPs...we get a sense of the student's strenghts and weaknesses; preferred learning style, and academic skill level in math and reading/LA.

Our teachers then teach in a multi-modal fashion, taking from many different educational resources and teaching to the child's skill level and at their pace.

Our student to teacher ratio is an average of 15 to one.

Ilyssa Hershey, Psy.D.

Director

Atlantis Academy

Coral Springs, Florida

From: Heifferon <gary00001msn (DOT) com>Subject: RE: Broward: McKay ScholarshipTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, December 8, 2008, 11:28 AM

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.16/1841 - Release Date: 12/10/2008 9:30 AM

that isn't the case..many kindergarten student's have IEPs from their preschool placements, i.e. PLACE..etc. but it is harder, yes.

Ilyssa Hershey, Psy.D.

Director

Atlantis Academy

Coral Springs, Florida

that isn't the case..many kindergarten student's have IEPs from their preschool placements, i.e. PLACE..etc. but it is harder, yes.

Ilyssa Hershey, Psy.D.

Director

Atlantis Academy

Coral Springs, Florida

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey,

Very true...an I.E.P. can actually be started at Age 3, that is when

the Public Schools must provide an IEP in preschool..FAPE and LRE

Apply.. IDEA applies...unless I'm missing something somewhere...I

haven't done one for a 3 or 4 yr. old in the last few years but in the

late 90's and up to 2003 I did several that had the district pay for

the in home program. All you have to have is a 'disagreement' with

the IEP to end up in Due Process immediately and if there is

compelling evidence that the child would not receive FAPE or be in the

LRE at the preschool which is quite common not only with Autism

Spectrum Disorders but also with other disabilities as well.

E. , Sr. The Office of Advocacy for Autistic Children

>

> From: Heifferon <gary00001msn (DOT) com>

> Subject: RE: Broward: McKay Scholarship

> To: sList@ yahoogroups. com

> Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 11:28 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Atlantis starts with first grade and not K. So, there is no private

school in Broward County that accepts the McKay Scholarship starting

with K?

>  

>

>

> From: sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList

@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of gary0323_44

> Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 10:43 AM

> Subject: Broward: McKay Scholarship

>  

>

>

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com

> Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.14/1832 - Release Date:

12/5/2008 9:57 AM

>

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey,

Very true...an I.E.P. can actually be started at Age 3, that is when

the Public Schools must provide an IEP in preschool..FAPE and LRE

Apply.. IDEA applies...unless I'm missing something somewhere...I

haven't done one for a 3 or 4 yr. old in the last few years but in the

late 90's and up to 2003 I did several that had the district pay for

the in home program. All you have to have is a 'disagreement' with

the IEP to end up in Due Process immediately and if there is

compelling evidence that the child would not receive FAPE or be in the

LRE at the preschool which is quite common not only with Autism

Spectrum Disorders but also with other disabilities as well.

E. , Sr. The Office of Advocacy for Autistic Children

>

> From: Heifferon <gary00001msn (DOT) com>

> Subject: RE: Broward: McKay Scholarship

> Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 11:28 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Atlantis starts with first grade and not K. So, there is no private

school in Broward County that accepts the McKay Scholarship starting

with K?

>  

>

>

> From: sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList

@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of gary0323_44

> Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 10:43 AM

> Subject: Broward: McKay Scholarship

>  

>

>

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com

> Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.14/1832 - Release Date:

12/5/2008 9:57 AM

>

My daughter had been in school since she was 3 because of her disabilities, that was a few years ago, and I started running into problems when she was the first in the district to get a Cochlear Implant and the district didn't have anyone to work with her. She was in preK and I was expressly told I had to wait, so I moved to an area where they had the experience after consulting with the attorney that "wrote the law on Cochlear Implants and IEP" (was able to do that at a teleconference).

Seems longer I have this kid I begin to know what I don't know,...

Jayne...Mikismom

My daughter had been in school since she was 3 because of her disabilities, that was a few years ago, and I started running into problems when she was the first in the district to get a Cochlear Implant and the district didn't have anyone to work with her. She was in preK and I was expressly told I had to wait, so I moved to an area where they had the experience after consulting with the attorney that "wrote the law on Cochlear Implants and IEP" (was able to do that at a teleconference).

Jayne...Mikismom

I'm glad that worked out. I am very 'successful' with doing Teleconference IEP's and even Due Process Nationwide from right here in Hawai'i.Will you please do me a favor and go to that link below for the autism reform act - the hard copy will be changed to be non specific for disability although it will have the same name.. so we'll used Autism to get services for all ! We need the votes so if you could tell any others such as email contacts, etc. about this site.. the one below with the 2009 on the end.. I would really appreciate it. It will make drastic changes in how all children are treated. Thank you so much.. and it was nice to hear your victory ! Thank you, Please go and comment to vote & Let others know ASAP to do the samehttp://www.change.org/ideas/view/accept_and_sign_the_autism_reform_act_of_2009 E. , Sr. Founder The Office of Advocacy for Autistic ChildrenThis electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, (18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521.) To: sList Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:10:06 AMSubject: RE: Broward: McKay

Scholarship

Jayne...Mikismom