RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: FW: [Autism_NY_News] A favor

Rate this topic

Guest guest

now that your son has autism, why is it so important to you to find out what caused it? Autism is not the only disorder that has no knows cause or cure yet. If you are worried about vaccines and are planning to have more children, then don't give you next child vaccines.

However, we know for sure that vaccines are not the only factor, because we have around the globe many adults with ASD who were never vaccinated. European and African countries did not vaccinate their kids until recently, yet there are many adults there with autism. What do you think about that, ?

It is more important for you right now to learn how to teach your kid every day skills. That should be your priority, and that will help you and him.

Liz

Subject: Re: Re: FW: [Autism_NY_News] A favorTo: sList Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 4:15 PM

I am sorry if my post was vage. But since the causes of Autism are so hard to find and the treatments are so hard to catigorize in every child with ASD I find that it is hard for me to believe that vaccines cause ASD in most children. Maybe I am wrong. One of the things I hate about ASD is the lack of information into the cause and the treatments for ASD since every person is different and the cause or causes are so unknown. WE all though deal with our struggles. Mt son only eats bananas, yogert and pudding where as another child with PDD NOS might only eat chicken nuggets. So what to we do to help with these eating issues? Your right, there are so many opposing views and thats what drives me to be upset. We, or any professional, can't say hey this or a combination of this, that or the next thing will help our kids. Your right, things happen. Maybe I was wrong by saying that vaccines might not be the cause for Autism but

I see by the posts from parents that alot of people believe that they wont give their children vaccines. As for me, Autism scares me because of so many opposing views on the cause and treatments. I do read alot. I am happy to know that their are so many parents, including myself and my husband that will try anything to help our kids. That is why I joined this group...for information. Who better to help or gather different points of view than those who go through ASD.

From: shirlygilad <shirlygilad@ yahoo.com>To: sList@ yahoogroups. comSent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:31:39 PMSubject: Re: FW: [Autism_NY_News] A favor

Agree with whom? there are opposing views here. The fact that notevery vaccinated child becomes autistic does not disprove that autismin some children can be triggered by vaccines. Not everybody died inHiroshima from cancer after the atomic bomb. Not everybody developsperipheral neuropathy after taking tegretol Not every teenager commitssuicide when put on prozac. Nevertheless these things do happen insensitive populations. The vaccines we got were fewer by far than theamount given now. Maybe some more reading is needed on your part. Iwill be happy to refer you to some articles. I am not againstvaccines. I am against lack of information and lack of research.Shirly Gilad. RN FNP.>> I agree with you 100%. We all have 40 mutations and when you putthem together, like in my son's case, you get Autism. We go to the NIHhospital for his medical issues. We have to go back in 6 months as

afollow up.. They are one of the best research hospitals in the countryand they are an invite only research facility. Well guess what. Theydid a cromosone test amoung a million other things a my son has adeletion of cromisone 16 which has been linked to Autism. I believethat vaccines help our children. I am sure alot of you got vaccinesand do you have Autism?> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: shirlygilad <shirlygilad@ ...>> To: sList@ yahoogroups. com> Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:49:52 AM> Subject: Re: FW: [Autism_NY_News] A favor> > > What is this post about? I certainly will not support Autism Speaks or> any other organization that claims the vaccination issue is out. I> wonder where this idea that only

a few people actually think> vaccination have to do with some of the autism cases comes from. I> will not make any statements to the numbers of believers this way or> the other because I have no knowledge of such information. I know as a> medical professional with a strong science background that there is> currently no convincing data to completely prove OR disprove the> hypothesis that vaccines are involved in autism. I know for a fact> that there is NO study looking at the effects of the current> vaccination schedule on children. > > Shirly Gilad RN, FNP, MS> > > _____ > > > > From: Autism_NY_News@ yahoogroups. com> [mailto:Autism_ NY_News@ yahoogroups. com]> > On Behalf Of Marty> > Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:10 PM> > To: Autism_NY_News@ yahoogroups. com> > Subject: [Autism_NY_News] A

favor> > > > > > > > From: GRASP [mailto:mjcarley@ <mailto:mjcarley@ ...> grasp.org]> > > > Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 11:50 AM> > > > To: > > > > Subject: A favor> > > > > > > > > > > > Dear all:> > > > > > > > As many of you know, Bob and Suzanne are the founders of Autism> > Speaks, an organization that we've had some ideological differences> over, as> > well as some less-noticed agreements. > > > > > > > > > > > > And as many of you also know, the s were moved to found their> > organization by a significantly- challenged grandson. But about a> year or so> > ago, the New York Times ran a cover story on disagreements

over the> vaccine> > issue amongst the family: Daughter , whose> influence in> > starting the organization is unknown (at least to me); believesthat her> > child got his autism from vaccines. > > > > > > > > > > > > Her parents (and their organization) have been non-committal on the> subject.> > This could mean that 's parents, who run Autism Speaks, do not> believe> > that we got our Autism or Aspergers from vaccines, but that by being> silent> > on the subject they are simply trying not to anger their daughter> and risk> > further organizational embarrassment. > > > > > > > > > > > > But it could also mean that Autism Speaks is on the fence about this> > subject.> > >

> > > > > > > > > After the Times story came out last year, appeared to have> less to do> > with the organization. The press releases back and forth amongst> daughter> > and parents were rather terse, if not an outright bizarre way for a> family> > to communicate. Well, the family feud is back again, but with apossible> > motivator for us to get involved.> > > > > > > > > > > > Daughter has recently gone public in an "Age of Autism"column in> > which she cites two Autism Speaks employees as having prevented the> > organization from giving the vaccine issue the attention orfunding she> > feels it deserves. At the end of her self-incriminatory verbiage (seen> > unedited below) she calls upon vaccine theorists to email

AutismSpeaks'> > Executive Director Mark Roithmayr urging him (at the very least)to push> > Autism Speaks towards becoming an organization that supports vaccine> theory.> > > > > > > > > > > > I am asking you to email Roithmayr as well-in support of Autism> Speaks' not> > having become a vaccine theory organization; and in support of the two> > employees daughter clearly wants out. I know we've had> disagreements> > with this org, but Autism Speaks becoming a vaccine theory outlet> would be a> > very bad thing for the world. > > > > > > > > > > > > The two employees are Andy Shih and Alison Tepper-Singer. Many> people know> > Singer, and know of GRASP's relationship with her. Whatever existing> >

disagreements remain, she's the one responsible for Autism Speaks> > eradicating language like "wiping out autism" or "making it a word> in the> > history books." ly, they don't even use the word "cure" as much> either.> > We need to keep Autism Speaks on this path. I might get called a> "sap" for> > saying this, but they're not just making these changes for better PR;> > they're actually starting to get it. Please write in your emailsthat if> > these two employees are indeed against vaccine theories, that they> should be> > supported, not denounced.> > > > > > > > > > > > Some suspension of animosity might be necessary, be it issues with> either> > Autism Speaks, or with Shih and/or Singer personally. But this isbigger> > than those old arguments. And a

mailbox full of respectfully written> emails> > to Roithmayr would probably go a long way in preventing Autism> Speaks from> > "going vaccine." > > > > > > > > > > > > To us at GRASP, the vaccine issue is a dead one, albeit a> frustrating one;> > maintained only by the leadership of racist shock jocks and ex-playboy> > bunnies, backed up by lawyers wishing to cash in on fantasized> lawsuits, and> > begun by a man whose every "study" has been discredited for faulty> research> > practices. We cannot demonize their followers, however, for there are> > tragically human reasons why such vulnerable people have bought into> these> > ideas, and why as a consequence this stuff still fills our ears. > > > > > > > > > > > >

Their numbers are actually quite few. However, because they are loud,> > because the pharmaceutical industry is often its own worst enemy, and> > because the CDC and NIH have at times been rather cowardly in> standing up to> > them and protecting a public they're designed to serve, the theories> > persist. And we are sentenced to continuously listen to junk science,> > zealotry, and terminology that makes no attempt to refrain from> intimating> > that GRASP's members are chemical accidents. We don't discount> environmental> > triggers and exacerbators, but we do discount environmental> causation. The> > sane world believes what we have to be primarily genetic (this issue> is very> > much linked to the whole "cure" debate). > > > > > > > > > > > > I could go on and on and

on . . . > > > > > > > > > > > > After reading below, please write in support of Singer and Shih to> Autism> > Speaks Executive Director, Mark Roithmayr, at mroithmayr@autismsp> > <mailto:mroithmayr@ ...> eaks.org It'd also be great if> > everyone could use as the same words in the subject line . . .something> > like "I Respectfully Disagree with ." Write what you> wish after> > that (just keep it polite :-)> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thank you for this favor. I promise, though, that preventing Autism> Speaks> > from going in this direction is in all of our best interests.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > mjc> > >

> > > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -> > > > > > > > December 11, 2008> > > > > > > > A Message to Autism Speaks' Singer and Shih: ENOUGH ALREADY!> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > By > > > > > > > > I did not want to write this piece or share this information. I was> hoping> > the leadership at Autism Speaks would take care of this problem. For> far too> > long Dr. Andy Shih and Ms. Alison Singer have been representing only> their> > own rigid belief systems in their roles at AS, doing whatever> necessary to> > thwart environmental and vaccine research. In the meantime so many> >

opportunities have been squandered and our children are paying the> price.> > > > > > > > I will not editorialize here; just give the reader the facts.> Families and> > especially AS supporters have a right to know how their children's> interests> > are being represented.> > > > > > > > 1) Dr. Andy Shih, VP of Scientific Affairs, an avowed disbeliever of> > vaccines as a possible trigger for autism, appeared on "Montel" a> few years> > ago. Shih vehemently argued that vaccines are totally safe, can not> and do> > not trigger autism and that excessive quantities of mercury are> perfectly> > safe to inject into babies and children.> > > > > > > > Two years ago AS leadership was excited about a Norwegian study on> > vaccinated

children and autism and promised the study designers full> > support. AS expressed a desire to take the lead as a funder and> facilitator> > of the project. Shih surreptitiously killed almost all involvement.> > > > > > > > 2) Shih's recent comments to the media include, "this issue> (vaccines and> > autism) has really been put to bed!" regarding a tiny Columbiastudy on> > autism, regression and GI disease on a dozen children. The study only> > actually included 5 children who had regressive autism and GI> disease and> > one, indeed, had the measles virus in his gut. The CDC funded this> study.> > > > > > > > I encourage all to Google Andy Shih + vaccines and read the plethora> of Shih> > quotes about why he believes there is no merit to studying>

over-vaccination> > as trigger for autism. Shih is most frequently quoted bypharmaceutical> > sites and vaccine manufacturers as "proof" of vaccines' "disproved"> > relationship to autism.> > > > > > > > 3) Alison Singer is in control of all media relations for AS and> sits on the> > very important and influential IACC, as AS' representative. Singer> has also> > overseen AS' multi-million dollar website. Until recently, the> website was> > devoid off all biomedical news and information.> > > > > > > > Singer and Shih maintain a strong professional friendship with > Offit,> > lunching with him on AS' dime.> > > > > > > > 4) Singer called CBS "Evening News" to complain about SharylAttkisson's> > investigative news story

on Dr.. Offit's financial interestsin the> > childhood immunization program. Singer copied Dr. Lou , her> AAP ally,> > in this complaint letter. The CBS news piece uncovered the fact that> Offit> > had recently sold his rota vaccine patent for $104 milliondollars. This> > discovery was, in fact, huge news to all in the autism community.> > > > > > > > 5) The IACC group had the unique opportunity to effect powerful and> > innovative change in autism research at the NIH. The CAA was made> possible> > by the hundreds of thousands of parents who supported its passage.> Autism> > Speaks promised to do everything possible to support the promotion of> > environmental research, including vaccine research.> > > > > > > > After nearly a year of work the NIH's

strategic plan is currentlybeing> > boycotted by the entire community. Tom Insel has done a terriblejob of> > including stakeholders' opinions and priorities, yet there was a> critical> > juncture when the plan could have been saved. Lyn Redwood and all> > participating parent orgs (with the exception of minuscule org. ASA)> voted> > for the inclusion of a number of environmental research initiatives> which> > would have SAVED this endeavor. Alison Singer, as AS'> representative, voted> > against the plan.> > > > > > > > OK- those are the facts, everything is true, now for the editorial.> > > > > > > > The fact that Ms. Singer voted against the rest of the autism> community is> > disgraceful. Clearly Ms. Singer cannot separate her personal

beliefs> from> > the mandate of the organization she is paid to serve. The IACC plan> was an> > opportunity of monumental proportions and now a year's work has been> > squandered, thanks to her veto.> > > > > > > > Rather then embracing the big tent concept and building bridgeswith the> > grass roots parent-run autism organizations, Shih and Singer have> focused> > their energies on building relationships with Dr. Offit (a vaccine> patent> > holder), Ami Pisani and her pharmaceutical organization and old school> > geneticists. This approach is not getting us where we need to go and> gravely> > disappoints the families who trusted AS to be better than this. It was> > families, not pharmaceutical reps, who brought the tremendous> pressure to> > bear in order to pass the

CAA. Now our families' interests have been> > betrayed by the rigid ideological beliefs of one person who would> rather see> > the CAA fail than encompass vaccine research.> > > > > > > > Instead of building alliances with family based orgs like the National> > Autism Association, Ms. Singer's efforts have been focused onaiding Dr.> > Offit. Autism Speaks' PR needed to allow Dr. Offit to takecare of> > himself, he has certainly got the financial resources to do so. Autism> > Speaks should have been championing the trend of greater financial> > transparency in autism and vaccine science. Instead, Ms. Singer was> so upset> > by the criticism of Dr. Offit that she called CBS news to complain> about the> > piece. This bizarre behavior is another complete betrayal of our> families'>

> interests and serves to further illustrate the deeply ingrained> beliefs and> > prejudices that do a deep disservice to our families.> > > > > > > > I do not have the time to detail the myriad of instances in whichAutism> > Speaks PR and stein Associates worked overtime to kill ordiminish> > stories about biomedical news. Suffice it to say it is a sad andlengthy> > list. We need more open debate and discussion, not less.> > > > > > > > AS PR and AS science need not fear open discussions of the vaccine> issue,> > what they should fear is colluding with the CDC in behaving as if> parents'> > voices do not matter, regression is inconsequential, GI disease is> > insignificant, adverse vaccine reactions are non-existent, all> successful> > biomedical

interventions are aberrations. I may well be incorrect> about many> > things but we can never be wrong in asking questions -- questions our> > families want asked.> > > > > > > > Mark Roithmayr and Dr. Geri Dawson have been made well aware ofShih and> > Singer's serious lapses in judgment and failure to fully represent the> > community. Mr. Roithmayr appears to want to ignore this situation> and its> > adverse consequences for our children. Maybe the parents who worked> so hard> > to pass the CAA should ask him why?> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Managing Editor's note: You can email Mark Roithmayr at> mroithmayr@autismsp> > <mailto:mroithmayr@ ....> eaks.org > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > has two young boys. Her oldest son, Christian, isseverely> > affected by autism. He developed normally; smiling, talking,> walking; only> > to lose every skill and every word by the age of 2 and a half.Upon the> > advice of medical professionals and her husband were advised> to pursue> > only high quality behavioral therapy, speech and OT for Christian.> It had no> > meaningful impact on Christian until his parents sought help from DAN!> > doctors who treated the underlying causes of Christian's descent into> > autism. Christian has improved but still has far to go. He has> Inflammatory> > Bowel Disease, the measles virus in his gut and an immune system> akin to a> > late stage AIDS patient. Christian does not have a psychiatricdisorder.> > Before

autism, was the Clinical Director of SexualAssault> > Crisis Center in Stamford Connecticut. is proud to serve on> the Boards> > of NAA and SafeMinds.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > GRASP The Global and Regional Asperger Syndrome Partnership, Inc. 666> > Broadway, Suite 830 New York, NY 10012 p + f = 1.> www.grasp.org> >>

Liz,

My concern is that my son has health problems due to his prematurity. I am not looking for the cause of Autism, i, my husband and a great team of doctir's are looking for why he has all these health problems. He has a genetic disorder, not because of Autism but because of his 7 surgeries not related to Autism. I didnt mean to come across the wrong way. That information about Europe and Africa I didnt know so thank you for that information. My son is doing great acedemicly as well as every day skills. He is on level 2 of the star program and 2008 has been a great year for his improvement. I am so proud. Yes, we have a long way to go since he is on 6 years old and in kindergarden but its one day at a time and one step at a time. We all see our children and are thankful for every positive thing they do. I can't have anymore children because I am a very high risk pregnacy and there is a an 85% to 90% my next child will be more premature than Tyler

and could have more health problems. That would be unfair to the child, my son and us as parents.

To: sList Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:39:34 AMSubject: Re: Re: FW: [Autism_NY_News] A favor

now that your son has autism, why is it so important to you to find out what caused it? Autism is not the only disorder that has no knows cause or cure yet. If you are worried about vaccines and are planning to have more children, then don't give you next child vaccines.

However, we know for sure that vaccines are not the only factor, because we have around the globe many adults with ASD who were never vaccinated. European and African countries did not vaccinate their kids until recently, yet there are many adults there with autism. What do you think about that, ?

It is more important for you right now to learn how to teach your kid every day skills. That should be your priority, and that will help you and him.

Liz

From: Wihlborg <ewihlborgyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Re: FW: [Autism_NY_News] A favorTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, December 19, 2008, 4:15 PM

I am sorry if my post was vage. But since the causes of Autism are so hard to find and the treatments are so hard to catigorize in every child with ASD I find that it is hard for me to believe that vaccines cause ASD in most children. Maybe I am wrong. One of the things I hate about ASD is the lack of information into the cause and the treatments for ASD since every person is different and the cause or causes are so unknown. WE all though deal with our struggles. Mt son only eats bananas, yogert and pudding where as another child with PDD NOS might only eat chicken nuggets. So what to we do to help with these eating issues? Your right, there are so many opposing views and thats what drives me to be upset. We, or any professional, can't say hey this or a combination of this, that or the next thing will help our kids. Your right, things happen. Maybe I was wrong by saying that vaccines might not be the cause for Autism but

I see by the posts from parents that alot of people believe that they wont give their children vaccines. As for me, Autism scares me because of so many opposing views on the cause and treatments. I do read alot. I am happy to know that their are so many parents, including myself and my husband that will try anything to help our kids. That is why I joined this group...for information. Who better to help or gather different points of view than those who go through ASD.

From: shirlygilad <shirlygilad@ yahoo.com>To: sList@ yahoogroups. comSent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:31:39 PMSubject: Re: FW: [Autism_NY_News] A favor

Agree with whom? there are opposing views here. The fact that notevery vaccinated child becomes autistic does not disprove that autismin some children can be triggered by vaccines. Not everybody died inHiroshima from cancer after the atomic bomb. Not everybody developsperipheral neuropathy after taking tegretol Not every teenager commitssuicide when put on prozac. Nevertheless these things do happen insensitive populations. The vaccines we got were fewer by far than theamount given now. Maybe some more reading is needed on your part. Iwill be happy to refer you to some articles. I am not againstvaccines. I am against lack of information and lack of research.Shirly Gilad. RN FNP.>> I agree with you 100%. We all have 40 mutations and when you putthem together, like in my son's case, you get Autism. We go to the NIHhospital for his medical issues. We have to go back in 6 months as

afollow up.. They are one of the best research hospitals in the countryand they are an invite only research facility. Well guess what. Theydid a cromosone test amoung a million other things a my son has adeletion of cromisone 16 which has been linked to Autism. I believethat vaccines help our children. I am sure alot of you got vaccinesand do you have Autism?> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: shirlygilad <shirlygilad@ ...>> To: sList@ yahoogroups. com> Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:49:52 AM> Subject: Re: FW: [Autism_NY_News] A favor> > > What is this post about? I certainly will not support Autism Speaks or> any other organization that claims the vaccination issue is

out. I> wonder where this idea that only a few people actually think> vaccination have to do with some of the autism cases comes from. I> will not make any statements to the numbers of believers this way or> the other because I have no knowledge of such information. I know as a> medical professional with a strong science background that there is> currently no convincing data to completely prove OR disprove the> hypothesis that vaccines are involved in autism. I know for a fact> that there is NO study looking at the effects of the current> vaccination schedule on children. > > Shirly Gilad RN, FNP, MS> > > _____ > > > > From: Autism_NY_News@ yahoogroups. com> [mailto:Autism_ NY_News@ yahoogroups. com]> > On Behalf Of Marty> > Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:10 PM> > To: Autism_NY_News@ yahoogroups.

com> > Subject: [Autism_NY_News] A favor> > > > > > > > From: GRASP [mailto:mjcarley@ <mailto:mjcarley@ ...> grasp.org]> > > > Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 11:50 AM> > > > To: > > > > Subject: A favor> > > > > > > > > > > > Dear all:> > > > > > > > As many of you know, Bob and Suzanne are the founders of Autism> > Speaks, an organization that we've had some ideological differences> over, as> > well as some less-noticed agreements. > > > > > > > > > > > > And as many of you also know, the s were moved to found their> > organization by a significantly- challenged grandson. But about a> year or so> > ago, the New

York Times ran a cover story on disagreements over the> vaccine> > issue amongst the family: Daughter , whose> influence in> > starting the organization is unknown (at least to me); believesthat her> > child got his autism from vaccines. > > > > > > > > > > > > Her parents (and their organization) have been non-committal on the> subject.> > This could mean that 's parents, who run Autism Speaks, do not> believe> > that we got our Autism or Aspergers from vaccines, but that by being> silent> > on the subject they are simply trying not to anger their daughter> and risk> > further organizational embarrassment. > > > > > > > > > > > > But it could also mean that Autism Speaks is on the fence about

this> > subject.> > > > > > > > > > > > After the Times story came out last year, appeared to have> less to do> > with the organization. The press releases back and forth amongst> daughter> > and parents were rather terse, if not an outright bizarre way for a> family> > to communicate. Well, the family feud is back again, but with apossible> > motivator for us to get involved.> > > > > > > > > > > > Daughter has recently gone public in an "Age of Autism"column in> > which she cites two Autism Speaks employees as having prevented the> > organization from giving the vaccine issue the attention orfunding she> > feels it deserves. At the end of her self-incriminatory verbiage (seen> > unedited below) she

calls upon vaccine theorists to email AutismSpeaks'> > Executive Director Mark Roithmayr urging him (at the very least)to push> > Autism Speaks towards becoming an organization that supports vaccine> theory.> > > > > > > > > > > > I am asking you to email Roithmayr as well-in support of Autism> Speaks' not> > having become a vaccine theory organization; and in support of the two> > employees daughter clearly wants out. I know we've had> disagreements> > with this org, but Autism Speaks becoming a vaccine theory outlet> would be a> > very bad thing for the world. > > > > > > > > > > > > The two employees are Andy Shih and Alison Tepper-Singer. Many> people know> > Singer, and know of GRASP's relationship with her.

Whatever existing> > disagreements remain, she's the one responsible for Autism Speaks> > eradicating language like "wiping out autism" or "making it a word> in the> > history books." ly, they don't even use the word "cure" as much> either.> > We need to keep Autism Speaks on this path. I might get called a> "sap" for> > saying this, but they're not just making these changes for better PR;> > they're actually starting to get it. Please write in your emailsthat if> > these two employees are indeed against vaccine theories, that they> should be> > supported, not denounced.> > > > > > > > > > > > Some suspension of animosity might be necessary, be it issues with> either> > Autism Speaks, or with Shih and/or Singer personally. But this isbigger> > than

those old arguments. And a mailbox full of respectfully written> emails> > to Roithmayr would probably go a long way in preventing Autism> Speaks from> > "going vaccine." > > > > > > > > > > > > To us at GRASP, the vaccine issue is a dead one, albeit a> frustrating one;> > maintained only by the leadership of racist shock jocks and ex-playboy> > bunnies, backed up by lawyers wishing to cash in on fantasized> lawsuits, and> > begun by a man whose every "study" has been discredited for faulty> research> > practices. We cannot demonize their followers, however, for there are> > tragically human reasons why such vulnerable people have bought into> these> > ideas, and why as a consequence this stuff still fills our ears. > > > > > > > >

> > > > Their numbers are actually quite few. However, because they are loud,> > because the pharmaceutical industry is often its own worst enemy, and> > because the CDC and NIH have at times been rather cowardly in> standing up to> > them and protecting a public they're designed to serve, the theories> > persist. And we are sentenced to continuously listen to junk science,> > zealotry, and terminology that makes no attempt to refrain from> intimating> > that GRASP's members are chemical accidents. We don't discount> environmental> > triggers and exacerbators, but we do discount environmental> causation. The> > sane world believes what we have to be primarily genetic (this issue> is very> > much linked to the whole "cure" debate). > > > > > > > > > > >

> I could go on and on and on . . . > > > > > > > > > > > > After reading below, please write in support of Singer and Shih to> Autism> > Speaks Executive Director, Mark Roithmayr, at mroithmayr@autismsp> > <mailto:mroithmayr@ ...> eaks.org It'd also be great if> > everyone could use as the same words in the subject line . . .something> > like "I Respectfully Disagree with ." Write what you> wish after> > that (just keep it polite :-)> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thank you for this favor. I promise, though, that preventing Autism> Speaks> > from going in this direction is in all of our best interests.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

mjc> > > > > > > > > > > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -> > > > > > > > December 11, 2008> > > > > > > > A Message to Autism Speaks' Singer and Shih: ENOUGH ALREADY!> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > By > > > > > > > > I did not want to write this piece or share this information. I was> hoping> > the leadership at Autism Speaks would take care of this problem. For> far too> > long Dr. Andy Shih and Ms. Alison Singer have been representing only> their> > own rigid belief systems in their roles at AS, doing whatever> necessary to> > thwart environmental and vaccine research. In the meantime

so many> > opportunities have been squandered and our children are paying the> price.> > > > > > > > I will not editorialize here; just give the reader the facts.> Families and> > especially AS supporters have a right to know how their children's> interests> > are being represented.> > > > > > > > 1) Dr. Andy Shih, VP of Scientific Affairs, an avowed disbeliever of> > vaccines as a possible trigger for autism, appeared on "Montel" a> few years> > ago. Shih vehemently argued that vaccines are totally safe, can not> and do> > not trigger autism and that excessive quantities of mercury are> perfectly> > safe to inject into babies and children.> > > > > > > > Two years ago AS leadership was excited about a Norwegian study

on> > vaccinated children and autism and promised the study designers full> > support. AS expressed a desire to take the lead as a funder and> facilitator> > of the project. Shih surreptitiously killed almost all involvement.> > > > > > > > 2) Shih's recent comments to the media include, "this issue> (vaccines and> > autism) has really been put to bed!" regarding a tiny Columbiastudy on> > autism, regression and GI disease on a dozen children. The study only> > actually included 5 children who had regressive autism and GI> disease and> > one, indeed, had the measles virus in his gut. The CDC funded this> study.> > > > > > > > I encourage all to Google Andy Shih + vaccines and read the plethora> of Shih> > quotes about why he believes there is no merit to

studying> over-vaccination> > as trigger for autism. Shih is most frequently quoted bypharmaceutical> > sites and vaccine manufacturers as "proof" of vaccines' "disproved"> > relationship to autism.> > > > > > > > 3) Alison Singer is in control of all media relations for AS and> sits on the> > very important and influential IACC, as AS' representative. Singer> has also> > overseen AS' multi-million dollar website. Until recently, the> website was> > devoid off all biomedical news and information.> > > > > > > > Singer and Shih maintain a strong professional friendship with > Offit,> > lunching with him on AS' dime.> > > > > > > > 4) Singer called CBS "Evening News" to complain about SharylAttkisson's> >

investigative news story on Dr.. Offit's financial interestsin the> > childhood immunization program. Singer copied Dr. Lou , her> AAP ally,> > in this complaint letter. The CBS news piece uncovered the fact that> Offit> > had recently sold his rota vaccine patent for $104 milliondollars. This> > discovery was, in fact, huge news to all in the autism community.> > > > > > > > 5) The IACC group had the unique opportunity to effect powerful and> > innovative change in autism research at the NIH. The CAA was made> possible> > by the hundreds of thousands of parents who supported its passage.> Autism> > Speaks promised to do everything possible to support the promotion of> > environmental research, including vaccine research.> > > > > > > > After nearly

a year of work the NIH's strategic plan is currentlybeing> > boycotted by the entire community. Tom Insel has done a terriblejob of> > including stakeholders' opinions and priorities, yet there was a> critical> > juncture when the plan could have been saved. Lyn Redwood and all> > participating parent orgs (with the exception of minuscule org. ASA)> voted> > for the inclusion of a number of environmental research initiatives> which> > would have SAVED this endeavor. Alison Singer, as AS'> representative, voted> > against the plan.> > > > > > > > OK- those are the facts, everything is true, now for the editorial.> > > > > > > > The fact that Ms. Singer voted against the rest of the autism> community is> > disgraceful. Clearly Ms. Singer cannot separate

her personal beliefs> from> > the mandate of the organization she is paid to serve. The IACC plan> was an> > opportunity of monumental proportions and now a year's work has been> > squandered, thanks to her veto.> > > > > > > > Rather then embracing the big tent concept and building bridgeswith the> > grass roots parent-run autism organizations, Shih and Singer have> focused> > their energies on building relationships with Dr. Offit (a vaccine> patent> > holder), Ami Pisani and her pharmaceutical organization and old school> > geneticists. This approach is not getting us where we need to go and> gravely> > disappoints the families who trusted AS to be better than this. It was> > families, not pharmaceutical reps, who brought the tremendous> pressure to> > bear in order

to pass the CAA. Now our families' interests have been> > betrayed by the rigid ideological beliefs of one person who would> rather see> > the CAA fail than encompass vaccine research.> > > > > > > > Instead of building alliances with family based orgs like the National> > Autism Association, Ms. Singer's efforts have been focused onaiding Dr.> > Offit. Autism Speaks' PR needed to allow Dr. Offit to takecare of> > himself, he has certainly got the financial resources to do so. Autism> > Speaks should have been championing the trend of greater financial> > transparency in autism and vaccine science. Instead, Ms. Singer was> so upset> > by the criticism of Dr. Offit that she called CBS news to complain> about the> > piece. This bizarre behavior is another complete betrayal of our>

families'> > interests and serves to further illustrate the deeply ingrained> beliefs and> > prejudices that do a deep disservice to our families.> > > > > > > > I do not have the time to detail the myriad of instances in whichAutism> > Speaks PR and stein Associates worked overtime to kill ordiminish> > stories about biomedical news. Suffice it to say it is a sad andlengthy> > list. We need more open debate and discussion, not less.> > > > > > > > AS PR and AS science need not fear open discussions of the vaccine> issue,> > what they should fear is colluding with the CDC in behaving as if> parents'> > voices do not matter, regression is inconsequential, GI disease is> > insignificant, adverse vaccine reactions are non-existent, all> successful>

> biomedical interventions are aberrations. I may well be incorrect> about many> > things but we can never be wrong in asking questions -- questions our> > families want asked.> > > > > > > > Mark Roithmayr and Dr. Geri Dawson have been made well aware ofShih and> > Singer's serious lapses in judgment and failure to fully represent the> > community. Mr. Roithmayr appears to want to ignore this situation> and its> > adverse consequences for our children. Maybe the parents who worked> so hard> > to pass the CAA should ask him why?> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Managing Editor's note: You can email Mark Roithmayr at> mroithmayr@autismsp> > <mailto:mroithmayr@ ....> eaks.org > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > has two young boys. Her oldest son, Christian, isseverely> > affected by autism. He developed normally; smiling, talking,> walking; only> > to lose every skill and every word by the age of 2 and a half.Upon the> > advice of medical professionals and her husband were advised> to pursue> > only high quality behavioral therapy, speech and OT for Christian.> It had no> > meaningful impact on Christian until his parents sought help from DAN!> > doctors who treated the underlying causes of Christian's descent into> > autism. Christian has improved but still has far to go. He has> Inflammatory> > Bowel Disease, the measles virus in his gut and an immune system> akin to a> > late stage AIDS patient. Christian does not have a psychiatricdisorder.>

> Before autism, was the Clinical Director of SexualAssault> > Crisis Center in Stamford Connecticut. is proud to serve on> the Boards> > of NAA and SafeMinds.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > GRASP The Global and Regional Asperger Syndrome Partnership, Inc. 666> > Broadway, Suite 830 New York, NY 10012 p + f = 1.> www.grasp.org> >>