RemedySpot.com

Re: Flood Story from Oz

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yikes snakes !!! I am glad you made it through peak

and hope you dry out and get your house fixed soon.

IOF 2/07 IL

--- wrote:

>

> Before I read any posts I MUST tell you about a

> Flood Advice Report I

> heard on our local radio this morning....

>

> Beachgoers at one of local beaches at Ballina were

> being warned this

> morning NOT to go into the foamy surf near the river

> entrance ...the

> Foam always get whipped up when the flood water

> runs-off into the ocean

> BUT, yesterday, the lifesavers counted 21 SNAKES in

> the foam...they'd

> been washed down river with the flood waters....kids

> love playing in the

> foam...I used when i was a nipper...can't remember

> ever seeing snakes

> then BUT....

>

> True Story....

>

> in Oz

>

> PS Flood Peak has passed in my town & now other

> towns Down River are

> copping it. Other catchments are now alos flooding

> all the way down the

> coast towards Sydney.

>

> Lismore now has sun shining & STEAM rising off the

> ground...a bit 'Blue

> Bayou'...my air-conditioners have been going since

> yesterday to dry out

> the dank feeling in the house! Working like a dream!

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Anytime we get a flood in this area, some child gets killed playing

in the fast running streams or the culverts under the roads or

whatever. Ok, I know nippers (using Aussie) aren't always the

brightest but where are the parents?

>

>

> Before I read any posts I MUST tell you about a Flood Advice Report

I

> heard on our local radio this morning....

>

> Beachgoers at one of local beaches at Ballina were being warned this

> morning NOT to go into the foamy surf near the river entrance ...the

> Foam always get whipped up when the flood water runs-off into the

ocean

> BUT, yesterday, the lifesavers counted 21 SNAKES in the

foam...they'd

> been washed down river with the flood waters....kids love playing

in the

> foam...I used when i was a nipper...can't remember ever seeing

snakes

> then BUT....

>

> True Story....

>

> in Oz

>

> PS Flood Peak has passed in my town & now other towns Down River are

> copping it. Other catchments are now alos flooding all the way down

the

> coast towards Sydney.

>

> Lismore now has sun shining & STEAM rising off the ground...a

bit 'Blue

> Bayou'...my air-conditioners have been going since yesterday to dry

out

> the dank feeling in the house! Working like a dream!

>

...only my imagination can take me to visualize snakes in the surf. Ugggg.

Mama-Sher, 69; IPF, 3-06, OR.Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Flood Story from Oz

Before I read any posts I MUST tell you about a Flood Advice Report I heard on our local radio this morning....

Beachgoers at one of local beaches at Ballina were being warned this morning NOT to go into the foamy surf near the river entrance ...the Foam always get whipped up when the flood water runs-off into the ocean BUT, yesterday, the lifesavers counted 21 SNAKES in the foam...they'd been washed down river with the flood waters....kids love playing in the foam...I used when i was a nipper...can't remember ever seeing snakes then BUT....

True Story....

in Oz

PS Flood Peak has passed in my town & now other towns Down River are copping it. Other catchments are now alos flooding all the way down the coast towards Sydney.

Lismore now has sun shining & STEAM rising off the ground...a bit 'Blue Bayou'...my air-conditioners have been going since yesterday to dry out the dank feeling in the house! Working like a dream!

Thanks ,

Yes I hope my roof will be repaired ASAP but not until AFTER the Cyclone Season has gone I suspect...workers on wet roofs aren't very safe & the chances of further damage to my beautiful plaster ceilings is very high if it dumps a load of rain while they're pulling off the old iron!

We've got the rest of Jan. Feb & March to get through ...there is a pattern here of smaller events building up to bigger & BIGGER ones until we get the REAL DEAL....this was just a piddler in terms of what it CAN be like!

Keep you posted ...you'll be hearing about it if this is to be one of THOSE seasons (we haven't had one of these for decades & we're a tad OVERDUE!!!!!)

GIna in Soggy Oz

> > > > > Before I read any posts I MUST tell you about a> > Flood Advice Report I> > heard on our local radio this morning....> > > > Beachgoers at one of local beaches at Ballina were> > being warned this> > morning NOT to go into the foamy surf near the river> > entrance ...the> > Foam always get whipped up when the flood water> > runs-off into the ocean> > BUT, yesterday, the lifesavers counted 21 SNAKES in> > the foam...they'd> > been washed down river with the flood waters....kids> > love playing in the> > foam...I used when i was a nipper...can't remember> > ever seeing snakes> > then BUT....> > > > True Story....> > > > in Oz> > > > PS Flood Peak has passed in my town & now other> > towns Down River are> > copping it. Other catchments are now alos flooding> > all the way down the> > coast towards Sydney.> > > > Lismore now has sun shining & STEAM rising off the> > ground...a bit 'Blue> > Bayou'...my air-conditioners have been going since> > yesterday to dry out> > the dank feeling in the house! Working like a dream!> > > > > > > > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

In 1954 , when I fell in the drain, MY mother was busy talking to her neighbour (Mum had left my 6 year old brother to watch me but that wasn't too smart - he went off playing with the neighbour's kid!) Luckily the neighbour she was talking to saw me disappear under the water!

In 1966 when I fell head-first off the sailing boat into the prickly 6ft hedge no parent should've needed to be watching me..I was just lucky my Dad was on the verandah reading the newspaper!

Generally here, kids were given a lot of freedom & mostly they came home alive & well...SOMEBODY fished 'em out from whatever mischief they'd gotten into!

One of the advantages of small populations was that we tended to act like a community & watched out for each other's 'toe-rags'/'rug-rats'/ 'small-fry' !

We lost a few along the way but the survivors of a wild Aussie childhood sure as heck grew up INDEPENDANT !

At least that was the way it was in the glorious 1950's

Now, kids are watched over, locked in their houses, plugged in to tele sets, they're organised within an inch of their precious lives by 'after-school activites' & expectations.....now they're lost in epidemic proportion to drug experimentation in their teens , binge drinking accidents, reckless driving, depression causing suicide etc etc

I don't know which is better or worse....my generation seemed to always live on the edge of danger as we were growing up & didn't need to PUSH the boundaries that much as teens! We surfed, climbed, rode bicycles, mucked around in the river & on the river banks infested with snakes & SNAKES, went bush, ALL without supervision from a very young age!

What FUN remembering back to the dreadful mischief that we got into....my 2 brothers, my sister & the kids from my neighborhood!

Cheerio,

in Oz

> >> > > > Before I read any posts I MUST tell you about a Flood Advice Report > I> > heard on our local radio this morning....> > > > Beachgoers at one of local beaches at Ballina were being warned this> > morning NOT to go into the foamy surf near the river entrance ...the> > Foam always get whipped up when the flood water runs-off into the > ocean> > BUT, yesterday, the lifesavers counted 21 SNAKES in the > foam...they'd> > been washed down river with the flood waters....kids love playing > in the> > foam...I used when i was a nipper...can't remember ever seeing > snakes> > then BUT....> > > > True Story....> > > > in Oz> > > > PS Flood Peak has passed in my town & now other towns Down River are> > copping it. Other catchments are now alos flooding all the way down > the> > coast towards Sydney.> > > > Lismore now has sun shining & STEAM rising off the ground...a > bit 'Blue> > Bayou'...my air-conditioners have been going since yesterday to dry > out> > the dank feeling in the house! Working like a dream!> >>

Sort of creates a mess when worker slips too and lands beside you on

the living room sofa.

> >

> > >

> > > Before I read any posts I MUST tell you about a

> > > Flood Advice Report I

> > > heard on our local radio this morning....

> > >

> > > Beachgoers at one of local beaches at Ballina were

> > > being warned this

> > > morning NOT to go into the foamy surf near the river

> > > entrance ...the

> > > Foam always get whipped up when the flood water

> > > runs-off into the ocean

> > > BUT, yesterday, the lifesavers counted 21 SNAKES in

> > > the foam...they'd

> > > been washed down river with the flood waters....kids

> > > love playing in the

> > > foam...I used when i was a nipper...can't remember

> > > ever seeing snakes

> > > then BUT....

> > >

> > > True Story....

> > >

> > > in Oz

> > >

> > > PS Flood Peak has passed in my town & now other

> > > towns Down River are

> > > copping it. Other catchments are now alos flooding

> > > all the way down the

> > > coast towards Sydney.

> > >

> > > Lismore now has sun shining & STEAM rising off the

> > > ground...a bit 'Blue

> > > Bayou'...my air-conditioners have been going since

> > > yesterday to dry out

> > > the dank feeling in the house! Working like a dream!

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

__\

> ____________

> > Be a better friend, newshound, and

> > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

> http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

> >

>