RemedySpot.com

Re: D.I.I.D. auditory processing

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,

Professionals involved with audiology are aware of DIID, and yes,it is "for real". This is something students often study when they take their doctorate in audiology. It stands for "Dichotic Interaural Intensity Difference" (just google it). It is a central auditory processing problem and has been used to treat people with head injuries. It has been around for 30 years or more, so it is not new :)

The training is used for those who hears significantly better on one ear. The word "dichotic" refers to our ability to listen from both ears, so to say.If your kid has had a head injury, middle ear problems, or tubes, then this may be something to discuss with his doctor. His auditory test probably showed that he hears much better on one ear. This may prevent him from hearing a normal conversation when there is a lot of background noise.

The purpose of DIID is to train the brain to change so that eventually he will be able to hear the sounds with the same intensity (equally loud) on both ears. There are many software programs you can use during the training. Talk to audiologists (with a doctorate degree). The treatment involves using headphones and listening to sounds or words. The sounds will be louder on one ear. It is important that you use the headphone correctly, so that he can hear the loud sounds from the appropriate side of his headphones.

Did you ask your doctor if he has had positive experiences with this treatment? I bet you he has.

In my humble opinion, you have nothing to lose here. The training cannot hurt him, and if you eventually see positive results, you can write a book about it and help many other kids. If it fails, you know you tried.

There are many peer-reviewed researchpapers that show that people with processing problems benefit from DIID. Look at professional journals read by speech pathologists and audiologists.

We still do not have peer-reviewed research indicating that AIT can help, and until then, AIT is what you call "snake oil" :)

Good Luck,

Liz

Subject: D.I.I.D. auditory processingTo: sList Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 3:04 PM

Hello,My son recently had an auditory processing exam at Dr. Randle's office in Coral Springs. They recommended this DIID (I didn't really understand all of what that stood for) that is a CD driven program to "train the brain" neurologically and is supposed to improve focus and attention.Has anyone heard of this? Is this for real or snake oil? I appreciate all comments.Regards and Happy Holidays!

Hi ,

When my daughter was first diagnosed with PDDNOS, traditional

ABA was used. However, I found that she had a lot of strong skills on her

own and that the ABA was too rote for what HER needs were. I decided to

find a therapist that had a more natural/eclectic approach and I feel that was

a good decision for us. However, I do feel that if she didn’t

already have the skills she did, then ABA might have been a better route.

Hope this was helpful.

sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of Farley

Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 8:44 PM

To: sList

Subject: RE: D.I.I.D. auditory processing

Good

evening to all!

I’m

new to this group and am curious to know how the various members regard

research as they choose interventions for their children. I currently

live in Austin, Texas and work with young children, including young children

with autism. I am getting married soon and will be moving to Pompano

Beach in February. I just left a doctoral program (left, not completed!)

with a heavy research emphasis and a bias toward ABA-based interventions for

young children with autism. I have worked in situations with ABA/discrete

trial approaches. I also have worked in situations that took a more

multi-disciplinary approach: developmental, speech and language, OT, and

positive behavior support, along with dietary changes. Ultimately,

I’ve actually been personally, professionally, and ethically more

comfortable with the latter for young children. And, for two young

children who had both autism and intellectual disabilities, a discrete trial

approach seemed to trigger challenging behavior and undermine motivation (as

suggested by either flat, or very variable data trends). For one child, a

natural environment approach that included developmental considerations and

focused on functional communication and self-help skills was a much better fit

(I left the other situation before the consultant made any changes).

These experiences have left me with a very different regard for research

than when I first began my training—traditional ABA might have the

largest body of research, and I think it’s worth reviewing and

considering, but I have stopped disregarding other approaches just

because they don’t have as much research behind them, or just because

they don’t describe themselves as behavioral. As one of my

professors taught me, everything we do is behavior—and so, I just

look at what aspect of behavior is addressed by OT intervention, speech and

language intervention, etc.

So,I am

truly interested: How do you regard research? And, have any

of you opted out of ABA-based interventions in favor of other

approaches?

Thank

you in advance for any thoughts and stories you are willing to share! I

am very interested in people’s stories and experiences.

Kind

regards,

Farley

" Yesterday

is already a dream and tomorrow is only a vision, but today well-lived makes

every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. "

~Sanskrit Proverb~

sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of ana brushingham

Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 4:03 PM

Subject: Re: D.I.I.D. auditory processing

Hi

I

like Dr. Randle but frankly I have never heard of it and I do Berard Auditory

Integration Training. I will look into it and call some of my collegues to

see what they have to say. I would be interested in knowing if they

have any legitimate studies to back it up. I will get back to

you.

Always

Ana Brushingham

ftmomma3

Subject: D.I.I.D. auditory processing

Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 10:04 AM

Hello,

My son recently had an auditory processing exam at Dr. Randle's office

in Coral Springs. They recommended this DIID (I didn't really

understand all of what that stood for) that is a CD driven program

to " train the brain " neurologically and is supposed to improve

focus

and attention.

Has anyone heard of this? Is this for real or snake oil?

I appreciate all comments.

Regards and Happy Holidays!

CyberDefender has scanned this email for potential threats.

Version 2.0 / Build 4.03.29.01

Get free PC security at http://www.cyberdefender.com

Dear Liz,

I was disappointed in your comment regarding AIT, ("AIT is what you call snake oil"). We are all (hopefully) focused on the overall goal of finding answers, treatments, therapies and modalities that will provide improvement with risk (above all do no harm) and eventually to witness a cure for autism and related disorder. As both a practitioner (MBA, CABA and Berard AIT practitioner), and parent of a child with autism, I am dedicated to improvement in the lives of individuals with disabilities and the families who love and support them.

As to your post suggesting that AIT is "snake oil", let me first provide you with some facts regarding AIT. AIT is a generic term that is used for a variety of sound-based training programs. Your suggestion that AIT has no peer-reviewed journal articles is inaccurate. Those familiar with the field of AIT realize the importance of distinguishing between generic AIT and Berard AIT, since the Berard method has been well researched, and does have peer-reviewed journal publications. A summary of studies is posted on the official Berard AIT website at

http://www.berardaitwebsite.com/sait/aitsummary.html

those interested in more details of these studies can use the references provided to locate the full reports.

Berard AIT was developed to reorganize or retrain the auditory system (for details, see article at: http://www.berardaitwebsite.com/WhyBerard.htmThe Berard method of AIT maintains very high standards to assure quality and consistent performance by practitioners around the world. See details at:

http://www.berardaitwebsite.com/quality.htm

andhttp://www.berardaitwebsite.com/CertMark.html

In addition to the studies mentioned previously, pre and post results that provide documentation of efficacy are posted at http://www.ideatrainingcenter.com/ait-results.shtml

and

http://www.ideatrainingcenter.com/stories.shtml

The aforementioned is the reason why I decided to become trained and certified as a Berard AIT practitioner. However the reason I took the time to respond to you is not for myself, nor to defend the reputation of Berard AIT, which is not needed, but to increase

your awareness and most importantly to reassure any parent considering AIT to not be dissuaded by random unsubstantiated post. The worst results is for a child/adult who could benefit from a proven and efficacious therapy is not given the opportunity to improve because of a post such as yours. I ask that we all consider the ramifications of the information that we post, and rather than espouse negative undocumented blurbs based on our personal motivations, we try to convey information that is helpful and educational. We are all fighting the same battle, let's do it together with the facts.

Subject: Re: D.I.I.D. auditory processingTo: sList Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 3:46 AM

Hi ,

Professionals involved with audiology are aware of DIID, and yes,it is "for real". This is something students often study when they take their doctorate in audiology. It stands for "Dichotic Interaural Intensity Difference" (just google it). It is a central auditory processing problem and has been used to treat people with head injuries. It has been around for 30 years or more, so it is not new :)

The training is used for those who hears significantly better on one ear. The word "dichotic" refers to our ability to listen from both ears, so to say.If your kid has had a head injury, middle ear problems, or tubes, then this may be something to discuss with his doctor. His auditory test probably showed that he hears much better on one ear. This may prevent him from hearing a normal conversation when there is a lot of background noise.

The purpose of DIID is to train the brain to change so that eventually he will be able to hear the sounds with the same intensity (equally loud) on both ears. There are many software programs you can use during the training. Talk to audiologists (with a doctorate degree). The treatment involves using headphones and listening to sounds or words. The sounds will be louder on one ear. It is important that you use the headphone correctly, so that he can hear the loud sounds from the appropriate side of his headphones.

Did you ask your doctor if he has had positive experiences with this treatment? I bet you he has.

In my humble opinion, you have nothing to lose here. The training cannot hurt him, and if you eventually see positive results, you can write a book about it and help many other kids. If it fails, you know you tried.

There are many peer-reviewed researchpapers that show that people with processing problems benefit from DIID. Look at professional journals read by speech pathologists and audiologists.

We still do not have peer-reviewed research indicating that AIT can help, and until then, AIT is what you call "snake oil" :)

Good Luck,

Liz

From: ftmomma3 <lettmanabhotmail (DOT) com>Subject: D.I.I.D. auditory processingTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, December 29, 2008, 3:04 PM

Hello,My son recently had an auditory processing exam at Dr. Randle's office in Coral Springs. They recommended this DIID (I didn't really understand all of what that stood for) that is a CD driven program to "train the brain" neurologically and is supposed to improve focus and attention.Has anyone heard of this? Is this for real or snake oil? I appreciate all comments.Regards and Happy Holidays!