RemedySpot.com

Back in the hospital

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My 15 yr old daughter has CD, has been on the diet since 2/16. Her sed rate went down to 53 after just a week of being on the diet. She was starting to feel well enough to do homework and go to the mall with a friend. I've been away for 12 days on a trip with my son. While I was away my husband was caring for her and sticking to the diet. We had changed her iron supp from ferrous sulfate to one in a cellulose gel cap but I don't think it was enough. She became very anemic and required 2 units of blood. felt better for a few days, but since last Sunday has been feeling nauseous, not eating, hair falling out again, dehydrated & now she's back in the hospital. I have a feeling the dr is going to say PICC line & TPN for total bowel rest. I haven't seen her labs but the ER doc

said her WBC is not too badly elevated, around 13.5. She is on Remicade since last October. No sustained remission - complicated by c-dif, kidney stones, influenza one rollercoaster after another.Group, I am at a loss. any help or suggestions, even just some encouragement would be greatly appreciated.LaRaeMom of CeciliaCD 6/06SCD 2/08Remicade, asacol, probiotics, iron

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Guest guest

At 06:53 AM 3/28/2008, you wrote:

Group, I am at a loss. any help

or suggestions, even just some encouragement would be greatly

appreciated.

LaRae,

I'm sorry to hear your daughter is in hospital.

Elaine recommended strongly against iron supplements as they can feed the

bad bacteria. She recommended cooking foods in cast iron (with a spritz

of lemon juice to help absorption), and eating liver.

<profound sigh> My bison liver arrived yesterday, and I will be

attempting pate this weekend. My surgeon wanted me to do an iron

supplement after surgery. I suggested liver, even though I hate liver.

But I know, from past experience, that when I need iron, liver can taste

delicious. Appalling thought! <wry grin>

Vitamin C, if you can find a legal brand, promotes iron absorption. Also,

your physician may want to look at her follinic / folic acid levels and

her B-12, since without those, all the iron in the world is somewhat

useless.

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

LaRae, I am sorry that your daughter has to go through this. The help that I might be able to offer is that I was recently with an MD who does alternative medicine. and he said most MD's won't accept that Saccharomyces Boulardii will help c-diff and save lives but his collegues won't recognize it. I hope this is something that you can use. to help your daughter. Also, have you rechecked everything your husband was feeding your daughter to see if any illegals popped up? How about liver and red meats for the iron? Katy

_____________________________________________________________Get your fix. Click here for reliable handyman services!