RemedySpot.com

Re: Foundations Therapy - Coral Springs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is it discrete trials in a small room? Natural Environment Teaching is considered best practices. It teaches the child in the natural environment which ultimately helps them to generalize and that is the goal.

This is the main problem with this type of ABA. While discrete trials are not inherently bad as it uses errorless learning, the small locked room can lead the child to believe it is an aversive place. Some kids do ok with this over time. My son did not. And, it was torturous for me to watch it on the video camera as he is quite strong willed.

We hired someone to come to the house, train us in verbal behavior and then it has been all natural environment teaching. I think we had someone come to the house twice per week for an hour each time (it was all we could really afford), then just once per week. We received supervision for the program and it has been really great for him. Not all kids are the same. It took awhile to teach him pre-academic skills like sitting at a desk but that was the school's job. I think he is doing great and this was the best for him.

Check out agencies that utilize natural environment teaching and find someone to teach you and your family Verbal Behavior. Ask lots of questions. If you need more, let me know, I have some resources.

Foundations Therapy - Coral Springs

Can anyone tell me anything about this Therapy Center? My daughter is new with them for ABA and is screaming the whole time. I feel bad to keep her in there and I dont know if it is normal or if it will get better for her.

I know it is hard to watch your child sit and scream for what is supposed to be therapy but trust me when I tell it you it gets better...my daughter has been going to Foundations for the last 2 years and I can not say enough wonderful things about them. She has made wonderful strides and continues to do so - the staff is awesome, very family friendly, supportive and understanding. If you have any concerns talk to them, its super important to have an open communication line and if you aren't happy for some reason just tell them they are open and I am sure happy to accommodate/listen to any concerns you have.

When I first started ABA, which was not there, my daughter had a really hard time as well - stay strong - she and you will get through it...once the routine is established and she gets past that point she is going to do great :)

Feel free to email me privately if you would like more info: giolitofam@...

Subject: Foundations Therapy - Coral SpringsTo: sList Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 5:39 PM

Can anyone tell me anything about this Therapy Center? My daughter is new with them for ABA and is screaming the whole time. I feel bad to keep her in there and I dont know if it is normal or if it will get better for her.

Good morning....I know what you are feeling....my daughter started there at 2yrs old....she was there for 1 year.....and believe me the first 2-3 weeks was not fun....it was the same for me...but give it some time (specially if you are with the early steps intervention)....as you mostly will see very good progress....probably what they are doing right now is building her compliance....which she probably doesn't like....then if you really don't feel comfortable then you could ask for another therapist, but remember that you are going to start all over again with the crying but sometimes the change is good (follow your intuition)....but today i am grateful that my daughter and I didn't give up...as it did work out very well for us...you can call me at if you have more question or just need to talk

Nathalie

Subject: Foundations Therapy - Coral SpringsTo: sList Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 9:39 PM

Actually I think the crying is

more the rule than the exception. Depending on the severity the therapist might

just wait her out until she stops. Believe me, it is hurting you more than her.

Therapist needs to get control of the situation. I hope you are staying out of

the room at this stage because she will rely on you for support.

sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of tmm571

Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:40 PM

To: sList

Subject: Foundations Therapy - Coral Springs

What excelty is foundation therpay never heard of it. What do they do? thanks I live in Croal springs as well. Does your daugther go to school? My schol is in the complex place in trainls park in Parkland. He loves schoo and his teacher.Marcie Foundations Therapy - Coral SpringsTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 9:39 PM

>

> Actually I think the crying is more the rule than the exception.

Depending

> on the severity the therapist might just wait her out until she

stops.

> Believe me, it is hurting you more than her. Therapist needs to

get control

> of the situation. I hope you are staying out of the room at this

stage

> because she will rely on you for support.

>

>

>

> From: sList

[mailto:sList ] On

> Behalf Of tmm571

> Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:40 PM

> To: sList

> Subject: Foundations Therapy - Coral Springs

>so far they havent asked me to leave the room

>

> From: tmm571 <tmm571yahoo (DOT) com>