RemedySpot.com

Re: Imitation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Have you tried you standing behind him while a model (preferably a child or the other parent perhaps) does something like clap hands, then you take your sons hands and clap them together, then reinforce/praise/reward?

Have you already done these types of exercises? I don't know where you are starting from...

Let me know. I have some ideas to assist with imitation but it will take some work.

ImitationTo: sList Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 9:42 AM

Hi everyone~ I have another question. I have an IEP coming up soon, and I'm trying desperately to find different interventions that I think might work for my son. He is 7 years old, has no functional communication (although he can say a couple of words like daddy, ma-ma, baby), and has SIBs. I've been told that one of our biggest barriers in educating him and getting him to communicate is his lack of imitation. I recently came across an article about a Lovaas-style therapy called Reciprocal Imitation Training, and I was wondering if anyone has heard of this, used this, or knows of anyone who does this type of therapy. If not, but you know of a different intervention that can help a child learn to imitate, I would love to hear about it. Thanks,

Music therapy interventions are especially good for promoting naturalistic engagement, joint attention, and imitation. The typical fingerplays and action songs that small children are exposed to promote sensory integration, sustained attention, and socialization. Plus, with the music being time-ordered and rhythmically structured, most children naturally gravitate and focus.

Reitman, PsyD, LMHC, MT-BCLicensed Psychologist/Licensed Mental Health Counselor

Cadenza Music Therapy, Inc.

www.CadenzaMusicTherapy.comNew MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News more. Try it out!