RemedySpot.com

Re: Defintion of Verbal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Personally I believe the definition of verbal with children w/Autism is " The ability to have pragmatic speech " , so merely stating words here and there is still considered non verbal. My son has about 250 'command' words.. same thing.. I want, I need, cookie, cracker, etc etc. . . He seems to like his Aug. Speech device better because it's somewhat of a stim at the same time. At 15... I definately consider him non verbal.. he can't speak to me on the phone without the device and in person you have to know him to understand any of the 250 words... Please go and register, comment to vote & Let others know ASAP to do the same(Add this

link to your email sig. for the next 5 weeks if you can.....for the kids)http://www.change.org/ideas/view/accept_and_sign_the_autism_reform_act_of_2009I appreciate your support in helping children with Autism and other disabilities.http://officeofadvocacy.spaces.live.com/ under construction but it's there.. E. , Sr. Founder The Office of Advocacy for Autistic ChildrenThis electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary,

privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, (18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521.) To: sList Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:56:23 AMSubject: Re: Defintion of Verbal

How old is your son? My daughter started off saying (prior to preschool), juice, then taught "want juice", then "I want juice" and so on. Baby steps... Approx. how many words would you say he says on his own . As a parent with a child with Autism, I feel blessed when my child could say, single words, put two words together and so on when I know there are children on the Spectrum that can't verbalize at all!!! If he can says words at all, he is verbal. However, the crazy school system/district/ State of FL has their own definitions for what is considered verbal enough---I'm just thrilled my daughter learned to speak AND sentences (over time---still has speech today)!!! There is a great web site called Natural Learning concepts---www. nlconcepts. com. I just purchased some Conversation Starters for my 13 year old daughter- I wish they were available when she was younger! They are so simple----I asked myself why didn't I think of these?

Good luck,

gb7289@...One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

Do you know of a good Free advocate that you can give me information on so I can have them ready for my next meeting

Thanks

Dawn

www.shoppingcartblankie.com

Hi everyone. I was just courious what people's defintion of verbal is? My son can say "I want .........." and memorized phrase. But we can not have a conversation with him so I do not consider him verbal. We are tring to get an Agumentive Communication device for him because his private SLP thinks it would help him to be more expressive. We tried going though our private insurance but they denide it because under our policy they do not cover any of the devices. So now we are tring to go though Medicade and they need the school to sign a school concurence form and they do not want to sign that saying that my son is verbal. Therefore the question What is your deifintion of Verbal?Thanks in advanceDawn

/Dawn;If you are looking for a local free advocate and can find one - great. If you feel you would like additional back up or a firm yet very capable voice so you are heard in the I.E.P. I am here for you and any other parents as long as there is a schedule to keep, I do teleconference IEP's nationwide along with teleconference meetings with Administration after/before/inbetween. I will genally not do a Due Process case unless it is very intense( or needs to be done to get to PreHearing and then settle..like most)...and there is a need for me to do it for other reasons.Normally after the petition for a due process and a few dozen motions the district gets sick of me and gives in. when they don't then it has to go to hearing.. in such a case expenses for flight, etc. must be covered as my minimal resources (office supplies) I cover with my

income. Right now you're looking for help in an IEP.. you can call me at (808265-8778 cell or (808)840-0991. Can somebody in here I've done an IEP for possibly talk with Dawn and Densie and let them know what I do...<Hint>. Please go and

register, comment to vote & Let others know ASAP to do the same(Add this link to your email sig. for the next 5 weeks if you can.....for the kids)http://www.change.org/ideas/view/accept_and_sign_the_autism_reform_act_of_2009I appreciate your support in helping children with Autism and other disabilities.http://officeofadvocacy.spaces.live.com/ under construction but it's there..Another very strong idea that should be looked at by all to help so many that need this.. Regarding Medicaid Waivers being fully funded - this needs to be addressed as well.. please look at this and vote accordingly - this

will change the future of many.. the site for the Medicaid Reform is at:http://www.change.org/ideas/view/fully_fund_medicaid_waivers_for_the_developmentally_disabled E. , Sr. Founder The Office of Advocacy for Autistic ChildrenThis electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, (18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521.) To: sList Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:32:31 AMSubject: Re: Defintion of Verbal

My son is 8 1/2 and has been stuck on "I want __________" it seems like forever. I am grateful that he can tell me his wants and needs but would like him to be able to use more that 2 and 3 words sentences. I would like to have a small conversation with him......like hw was your day? What did you learn....... things like that. His Verbal understanding and being able to read to himself are great. We want to work on adding words to his sentences. He is very visual. When he had the evaluation for the device we worked on his adding the word THE into a sentence. We have been working on just this for 6

months. The next day at speech he said the the therapist "I want the yellow" weather that was because of the machine or it was just time I do not know but it gave me a lot of hope. He has sence lost

the word the.

Dawn

www.shoppingcartbla nkie.com

Subject: Re: Defintion of VerbalTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 10:56 AM

How old is your son? My daughter started off saying (prior to preschool), juice, then taught "want juice", then "I want juice" and so on. Baby steps... Approx. how many words would you say he says on his own . As a parent with a child with Autism, I feel blessed when my child could say, single words, put two words together and so on when I know there are children on the Spectrum that can't verbalize at all!!! If he can says words at all, he is verbal. However, the crazy school system/district/ State of FL has their own definitions for what is considered verbal enough---I'm just thrilled my daughter learned to speak AND sentences (over time---still has speech today)!!! There is a great web site called Natural Learning concepts---www. nlconcepts. com. I just purchased some Conversation Starters for my 13 year old

daughter- I wish they were available when she was younger! They are so simple----I asked myself why didn't I think of these?

Good luck,

gb7289@...

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

There also comes a time as our children get older that THEY can choose their preferred system of communication.

Just curious, does your son have any motor planning issues with his hands touching the icons on the AAC device? Sometimes, what we interpret as a 'stim' is actually a form of apraxia or motor planning issue. I recently read a great journal article about that, on this newsgroup I believe.

Re: Defintion of Verbal

How old is your son? My daughter started off saying (prior to preschool), juice, then taught "want juice", then "I want juice" and so on. Baby steps... Approx. how many words would you say he says on his own . As a parent with a child with Autism, I feel blessed when my child could say, single words, put two words together and so on when I know there are children on the Spectrum that can't verbalize at all!!! If he can says words at all, he is verbal. However, the crazy school system/district/ State of FL has their own definitions for what is considered verbal enough---I'm just thrilled my daughter learned to speak AND sentences (over time---still has speech today)!!! There is a great web site called Natural Learning concepts---www. nlconcepts. com. I just purchased some Conversation Starters for my 13 year old daughter- I wish they were available when she was younger! They are so simple----I asked myself why didn't I think of these?

Good luck,

gb7289@...

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

Use errorless teaching to demonstrate/teach this skill. Constantly throw in other carrier phrases for your son to use like, "Can I," "May I," etc. to build his repertoire. Use the errorless teaching practice before he has a chance to say what he wants to say and he will repeat it. Then give him what he wants.

When asking questions about his day, start with questions where you can provide either a visual cue to help him with recall and/or a choice of answers.

For example, I start out by asking my son, "What was your special today?" or "What special did you have today?" I initially leave it open ended. Then if he has trouble or echoes me, I say, "What special did you have today? Art or Spanish?" That provides him with assistance in recalling the day. Another helpful thing for him was to make a visual journal of his day. This can be done with pictures or words or a combo of each to help him with review. It can go back and forth with him to and from school and his teacher/para/slp, etc. can assist with reviewing different parts of his day.

Someone else mentioned these as well from nlconcepts, the Conversation Starters, which are really good.

Re: Defintion of VerbalTo: sList Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 10:56 AM

Good luck,

gb7289@...

Also, check out the Tango.

Re: Defintion of VerbalTo: sList Date: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 12:19 AM

If your child is greater than 2 standard deviations below the norm for speech he should qualify through Medicaid. My son got a Dynavox about 18 months ago and he too is quasi verbal. He mands (requests), identifies colors, shapes, animals and a few other things. He is far from conversational. Let the PLS-4 score do the talking.If it doesn't work out we will likely be selling our device soon as my son has Write Out Loud on his laptop and we are transitioning to that.>> Hi everyone. I was just courious what people's defintion of verbal > is? My son can say "I want .........." and memorized phrase. But we > can not have a conversation with him so I do not consider him verbal. > We are tring to get an Agumentive Communication device for him because > his private SLP thinks it would help him to be more expressive. We > tried going though our private insurance but they denide it because > under our policy they do not cover any of the devices. So now we are > tring to go though Medicade and they need the school to sign a school > concurence form and they do not want to sign that saying that my son is > verbal. Therefore the question What is your deifintion of Verbal?> > Thanks in advance> Dawn>

I will definatly set these things up for after the winter break. I have tried them before but just got frustrated I think because it was only me doing it and no one else. So I will have to talk to everyone and get them on board also.

Dawn

www.shoppingcartblankie.com

Subject: Re: Defintion of VerbalTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 10:56 AM

How old is your son? My daughter started off saying (prior to preschool), juice, then taught "want juice", then "I want juice" and so on. Baby steps... Approx. how many words would you say he says on his own . As a parent with a child with Autism, I feel blessed when my child could say, single words, put two words together and so on when I know there are children on the Spectrum that can't verbalize at all!!! If he can says words at all, he is verbal. However, the crazy school system/district/ State of FL has their own definitions for what is considered verbal enough---I'm just thrilled my daughter learned to speak AND sentences (over time---still has speech today)!!! There is a great web site called Natural Learning concepts---www. nlconcepts. com. I just purchased some Conversation Starters for my 13 year old

daughter- I wish they were available when she was younger! They are so simple----I asked myself why didn't I think of these?

Good luck,

gb7289@...

Another thought is that if he can read, put the carrier phrases on index cards and eventually drop the vocal cue and hold up the card. It does take time, but once its in, its in. Remember that for some, the premise of verbal behavior is that vocalizations are reinforced, especially in the beginning. Sometimes with my son, he swallows words and/or uses as short a sentence as possible when making a request for example. If that gets reinforced-by giving him what he wants-then, that is the way he will say it the next time. Now, I say, "use a bigger sentence" or "use more words". That is working for him but may not work for everyone. Of course, I had to teach him those phrases.

And yes, everyone should be on board.

The most challenging aspect of any behavioral program is the adults, not the kids. We can write and design the most amazing and effective programs and identify wonderful strategies to manage challenging behavior and/or get kids communicating, but getting the adults (parents, teachers, paras, etc.) to comply is the biggest issue. The kids are easy.

Let me know of any kinks.

Re: Defintion of VerbalTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 10:56 AM

Good luck,

gb7289@...

one thing that helped my son learn to read and associate written words with the verbal was to keep the close caption on for favorite known videos and for TV programs....

--------- Re: Defintion of VerbalTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 10:56 AM

Good luck,

gb7289@...