RemedySpot.com

RE: autism and the immune system

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My daughter has an immune problem where she doesn't create antibodies to "protein based bad guys"

None of her vaccines, like HIB, Prevnar, and pneumovax worked-this after eight pneumonias before age 5.

Seems in Down syndrome, this can be prevelant, but any child can have this disorder.

She gets immunoglobulin subQ weekly to boost her immune system.

From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:36 PMTo: sList Subject: autism and the immune system

Hi Everyone:After all the genetic bloodwork, MRI's, CAT scans, EEG's, BEAR tests, and DAN! doctor consultations, my new concerns for my 3 year old with autism is her immune system. Our pediatrician is, I think, going out there and ordering new bloodwork to test my daughter's immune system, as well as all food sensitivities. I have a stong feeling that this will lead to something; I don't know what exactly, but some questions may be answered. Does anyone have any experience with this topic? I must add, I don't believe that vaccines triggered her autism; she never regressed, she just didn't hit her milestones. But I will say, that I stupidly allowed a flu shot, and 2 days later, she came down with a horrible cold with tempreture. She missed 4 days of school last week. 3 weeks ago, she had strep and a slight cold. She's been at the doctor's more in the last 6 months, than my husband has in the last 2 years. Hence, the immune system concern. Please let me hear any experiences....Thanks, B.______________________________________________________________________This email has been scanned by the Broward Health Email Security System.______________________________________________________________________

- ----------------------------------------------

Broward Health

I would say that at least half of the parents I have met in the past

2 years have told me that their children with autism were very

succesptible to infections, mostly upper respiratory and ear

infections but other types too. My son too. I had to pull him out of

swimming lessons (after he learned the basics) because he would have

one ear infection after another. Also, if he gets a scrape and is not

diligently disinfected, it will develop into a nasty infection. The

DAN doctor said that his " immune system is compromised " (and I should

not vaccinate him again.) Interesting enough, some of the parents

that discussed this issue in depth, turned out to have some type of

autoimmune condition in their immediate/close family (thyroid,

diabetes, lupus, severe allergies, R.arthritis, multiple sclerosis,

or Grave's disease.) It just seems unlikely to me that it is a mere

coincidence. My DAN doctor agrees. He thinks that for some people

with autism, there is a autoimmune component to the condition. Again,

for some, I am not saying all. I think it is worth exploring the

idea... Good luck! Ida

>

> Hi Everyone:

> After all the genetic bloodwork, MRI's, CAT scans, EEG's, BEAR

> tests, and DAN! doctor consultations, my new concerns for my 3 year

old

> with autism is her immune system. Our pediatrician is, I think,

going

> out there and ordering new bloodwork to test my daughter's immune

> system, as well as all food sensitivities. I have a stong feeling

that

> this will lead to something; I don't know what exactly, but some

> questions may be answered. Does anyone have any experience with

this

> topic? I must add, I don't believe that vaccines triggered her

autism;

> she never regressed, she just didn't hit her milestones. But I

will

> say, that I stupidly allowed a flu shot, and 2 days later, she came

> down with a horrible cold with tempreture. She missed 4 days of

school

> last week. 3 weeks ago, she had strep and a slight cold. She's

been

> at the doctor's more in the last 6 months, than my husband has in

the

> last 2 years. Hence, the immune system concern. Please let me

hear

> any experiences....Thanks, B.

>

Hi Sherry...good grief, eight bouts of pneumonia?! Unbelievable.

How is she now? happens to be autistic, so I wanted to see if

other moms with autistic children have had the same issues. Is your

daughter doing well on the subQ therapy?

In sList , " Blanco, Sherry " wrote:

>

> My daughter has an immune problem where she doesn't create

antibodies to

> " protein based bad guys "

> None of her vaccines, like HIB, Prevnar, and pneumovax worked-this

after

> eight pneumonias before age 5.

> Seems in Down syndrome, this can be prevelant, but any child can

have

> this disorder.

> She gets immunoglobulin subQ weekly to boost her immune system.

>

>

>

> ________________________________

>

> From: sList

[mailto:sList ]

> On Behalf Of

> Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:36 PM

> To: sList

> Subject: autism and the immune system

>

>

>

> Hi Everyone:

> After all the genetic bloodwork, MRI's, CAT scans, EEG's, BEAR

> tests, and DAN! doctor consultations, my new concerns for my 3 year

old

> with autism is her immune system. Our pediatrician is, I think,

going

> out there and ordering new bloodwork to test my daughter's immune

> system, as well as all food sensitivities. I have a stong feeling

that

> this will lead to something; I don't know what exactly, but some

> questions may be answered. Does anyone have any experience with

this

> topic? I must add, I don't believe that vaccines triggered her

autism;

> she never regressed, she just didn't hit her milestones. But I will

> say, that I stupidly allowed a flu shot, and 2 days later, she came

> down with a horrible cold with tempreture. She missed 4 days of

school

> last week. 3 weeks ago, she had strep and a slight cold. She's been

> at the doctor's more in the last 6 months, than my husband has in

the

> last 2 years. Hence, the immune system concern. Please let me hear

> any experiences....Thanks, B.

>

>

>

>

>

> This email has been scanned by the Broward Health Email Security

System.

>

>

>

> - ----------------------------------------------

> Broward Health

"immunoglobulin subQ"

is that the same as IVIG?

And, can it be prescribed for any child (or anyone for that matter) to help immune system???

autism and the immune system> > > > Hi Everyone:> After all the genetic bloodwork, MRI's, CAT scans, EEG's, BEAR > tests, and DAN! doctor consultations, my new concerns for my 3 year old > with autism is her immune system. Our pediatrician is, I think, going > out there and ordering new bloodwork to test my daughter's immune > system, as well as all food sensitivities. I have a stong feeling that > this will lead to something; I don't know what exactly, but some > questions may be answered. Does anyone have any experience with this > topic? I must add, I don't believe that vaccines triggered her autism; > she never regressed, she just didn't hit her milestones. But I will > say, that I stupidly allowed a flu shot, and 2 days later, she came > down with a horrible cold with tempreture. She missed 4 days of school > last week. 3 weeks ago, she had strep and a slight cold. She's been > at the doctor's more in the last 6 months, than my husband has in the > last 2 years. Hence, the immune system concern. Please let me hear > any experiences....Thanks, B.> > > > > __________________________________________________________> This email has been scanned by the Broward Health Email Security System.> __________________________________________________________> > > - ----------------------------------------------> Broward Health

She basically (knock on wood) has not had one major illness that she has not been able to fight off.

Her IGG levels are now within normal limits(due to the infusions) so she stays pretty healthy.

I have to say, besides the pneumonias she was in the hospital with rotavirus and once for shingles in her mouth!uggh-because she stopped eating and drinking and became dehydrated(not for the infection itself)

The worst part of it all is trying to tell a pediatrician that she is sick, when she is happy go lucky, or convince the ER doctor that a 99.6 temp is high for her. Also her white blood cell counts are always the low range of normal, around 4.5-5.0, so if they check her labs, it could still be "normal", but doubled when she is fighting an infection. All they see is a mommy who is "overreacting".

From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 7:14 PMTo: sList Subject: Re: autism and the immune system

Hi Sherry...good grief, eight bouts of pneumonia?! Unbelievable. How is she now? happens to be autistic, so I wanted to see if other moms with autistic children have had the same issues. Is your daughter doing well on the subQ therapy?In sList , "Blanco, Sherry" wrote:>> My daughter has an immune problem where she doesn't create antibodies to> "protein based bad guys"> None of her vaccines, like HIB, Prevnar, and pneumovax worked-this after> eight pneumonias before age 5.> Seems in Down syndrome, this can be prevelant, but any child can have> this disorder. > She gets immunoglobulin subQ weekly to boost her immune system.> > > > ________________________________> > From: sList [mailto:sList ]> On Behalf Of > Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:36 PM> To: sList > Subject: autism and the immune system> > > > Hi Everyone:> After all the genetic bloodwork, MRI's, CAT scans, EEG's, BEAR > tests, and DAN! doctor consultations, my new concerns for my 3 year old > with autism is her immune system. Our pediatrician is, I think, going > out there and ordering new bloodwork to test my daughter's immune > system, as well as all food sensitivities. I have a stong feeling that > this will lead to something; I don't know what exactly, but some > questions may be answered. Does anyone have any experience with this > topic? I must add, I don't believe that vaccines triggered her autism; > she never regressed, she just didn't hit her milestones. But I will > say, that I stupidly allowed a flu shot, and 2 days later, she came > down with a horrible cold with tempreture. She missed 4 days of school > last week. 3 weeks ago, she had strep and a slight cold. She's been > at the doctor's more in the last 6 months, than my husband has in the > last 2 years. Hence, the immune system concern. Please let me hear > any experiences....Thanks, B.> > > > > __________________________________________________________> This email has been scanned by the Broward Health Email Security System.> __________________________________________________________> > > - ----------------------------------------------> Broward Health